Premier League? Are we NOT having a laugh?

Half fan

12 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I personally look forward to your next intrusion.

Many many thanks for asking my opinion.

When I say intuition and owners.

If someone strolled into your lives and said he had all the answers.

Would you know enough to give him 5 minutes to speak. 

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Martinh said:

Hello all. Please excuse my intrusion here. New member.

My affiliation to Derby is, I thought the world of Brian Clough.

Problem is, people like him don't come along too often, as evidenced.

The power must always remain with the owners, that is the way they wish it.

But intuition often eludes them.

You the supporters need to provide the answers.

I say it can be done.

Thank you for your time.

There has never been a time in football like today, where a top quality manager is the absolute key to everything. It's not even a cast iron certainty that the brilliant Clough & Taylor would succeed in the modern game.

It's actually a different sport now and has been ruined by the financial and commercial aspects of the game. Nothing typifys this more than the current situation at DCFC, although it's reflected in the majority of clubs.

The players simply earn too much too soon. The transition from needing to work to pay your bills, to having obscene amounts of cash thrown at you is something that changes people. Once it's in your head that you can tell anyone that upsets you to take a hike, you are heading down a slippery slope professionally.

Hence the reason for managers like Guardiola, Wenger & Klopp being rated so highly. They somehow have the ability to consistently motivate a bunch of young multi millionaires with massive ego's.

Do you think Liverpool supporters wanted Klopp style football? He came in with a plan and a style - a style they prob didn't even understand and he implemented it, and now they see it and love it. Even Sturridge is out in deference to their style and even England's GK and yaya are out in deference to pep style at man city.

my point is that it's all nonsense that 4-3-3 is the answer or something else is the answer. We need an enlightened inspired manager - an Eddie Howe at the least - to do this properly. To show us something new. Something exciting that wins. 4-2-3-1? Jim smith era 5-3-2 with crazy good wing backs? 3 at the back? Gegenpress? Something different. We are now banking on the fact that after failure to make a promotion winning team with us, and subsequent catastrophic failure at nufc mac will be the man and he's gonna play 4-3-3 every game, attacking exciting football will return and we will win. In 3 games we've seen little of it. Now we are stuck with it so let's hope we have new and improved mcclaren Mark 2 and the change begins quickly.

I see someone joined the Sky Sports/The Sun Klopp spunk party. 

Try not to worry too much. Mac's been here 2 minutes. I much prefer being stuck with him than Nigel Pearson who "would get this team promoted" 

"gengenpressing":whistle:

Fellow fans, are we not drifting off topic?

I submit that it is an important one - maybe the Eureka one!

May I remind us that the topic is the failure of DCFC to be promoted to the Premier League, and remain in it for more than one season FOR FOURTEEN LONG YEARS!

Some of us are falling into the trap of debating the pros and cons of the many managers of the last two years.

This makes me wonder whether our esteemed Board has fallen into the same short-hindsighted trap, without learning the lessons of all fourteen years of frustrating failure.

Are Millennium Ram, Bris, Anag Ram and Ninos the only ones on the right lines?

If so, should they be granted an audience with Uncle Mel forthwith?

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I see someone joined the Sky Sports/The Sun Klopp spunk party. 

Try not to worry too much. Mac's been here 2 minutes. I much prefer being stuck with him than Nigel Pearson who "would get this team promoted" 

"gengenpressing":whistle:

Gegenpressing sounds like your typical football manager word but it's certainly a tactic, more commonly used abroad mind.  Klopp even used the word gegenpressing when on Monday night football. People who spring to mind who use it are Tuchel(Dortmund manager) and Sampaoli(Sevilla manager). Essentially in simple terms it means pressing instantly when you lose the ball as a team in order to win the ball back and if you don't win it back within a timeframe e.g 10 seconds then you drop into a defensive shape then repeat.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Gegenpressing sounds like your typical football manager word but it's certainly a tactic, more commonly used abroad mind.  Klopp even used the word gegenpressing when on Monday night football. People who spring to mind who use it are Tuchel(Dortmund manager) and Sampaoli(Sevilla manager). Essentially in simple terms it means pressing instantly when you lose the ball as a team in order to win the ball back and if you don't win it back within a timeframe e.g 10 seconds then you drop into a defensive shape then repeat.

That's nothing new at all. Teams have been doing things like this since I was born and before. 

It sounds like someone trying to be clever. 

Like a "midfield shuttler"

21 minutes ago, McLovin said:

To be precise, there's a six seconds rule. If the ball is not won back during those seconds, then your job is to get to defensive shape.

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That's nothing new at all. Teams have been doing things like this since I was born and before. 

Quarterback role and 3rd man runs spring to mind too.

16 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't even know what all these new things are. But usually I Google them and they turn out to be things we've had for a lifetime. 

"midfield shuttler".... its a defensive midfielder that's good and plays in an attacking team. It's a defensive midfielder ffs

48 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Imagine McClaren saying to Hughes, "today I want to play you as a false-10 regista." Poor lad probably wouldn't know what was going on and would probably burst out laughing. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Trying to win the ball back when you lose it?

Rubbish, this tactic was born with the Premier League and emergence of European football on Sky.

Next you will be telling me that teams have always tried to equalise after going behind!

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

All these fancy words are used to make managers look cool, mind you it's the same in other walks of life. Such as an author using the word conspicuously rather than simply saying stands out.

My missus works in an office environment and some of the stuff that gets said in meetings... wow. 

And now I'm googling a false 10 regista. 

I'd love Mick McCarthy to sign a player and the player to say to Mick that his best position is as a false 10 regista. 

He'd get a false 10 alright. He'd get a 18 and spend his time on the bench. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

My missus works in an office environment and some of the stuff that gets said in meetings... wow. 

And now I'm googling a false 10 regista. 

I'd love Mick McCarthy to sign a player and the player to say to Mick that his best position is as a false 10 regista. 

He'd get a false 10 alright. He'd get a 18 and spend his time on the bench. 

Fungibility is the buzz word in my wife's office at the minute, even after looking it up I'm none the wiser, at least in the concept as she describes it!

I sometimes wonder if this is Mel's problem, he attempts to introduce ideas that make perfect sense as a businessman, such as KPI's and Leadership groups, but they don't really translate into the football environment.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

No idea what a 3rd man run is supposed to be so I won't go into that. I assume it's something to do with a 1-2 being used as a guise to allow a third man to sneak his run, because they're too wrapped up in what the other two are doing.

Quarterback role irks me big time though. Basically a player who gets the ball further back and looks to distribute. So a defensive midfielder who is good at passing then? We don't need to appropriate another Americanism to describe this.

Gegenpressing is basically just pressing high up the pitch. Or as we used to call it - "**** 'em up (Get into 'em!)"

"The false-10 (or false-attacking midfielder) description has also been used in a slightly different manner in Italian football. The false attacking-midfielder is usually a technical and creative player with good vision, positioning, ball control and long passing ability, as well as being a player with respectable defensive attributes, and good long distance shooting ability. The false-10 performs in a similar manner to the false-9, although seemingly playing in the number 10 role, but still drawing opposition players back into the midfield. The false-10 will eventually sit in a central midfield role and function as a deep-lying playmaker, creating space for other players to make attacking runs and receive long passes from the midfield playmakers.[26]"

That's hurt my head. It's a central midfielder innit? 

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

No idea what a 3rd man run is supposed to be so I won't go into that. I assume it's something to do with a 1-2 being used as a guise to allow a third man to sneak his run, because they're too wrapped up in what the other two are doing.

Quarterback role irks me big time though. Basically a player who gets the ball further back and looks to distribute. So a defensive midfielder who is good at passing then? We don't need to appropriate another Americanism to describe this.

Gegenpressing is basically just pressing high up the pitch. Or as we used to call it - "**** 'em up (Get into 'em!)"

Is a midfield shuttler the same thing as a quarterback then? 

I think Neil Warnock was doing gengenpressing before Klopp

Archived