Late Goal Sydrome

Dethorn

Does anyone have any idea how many late goals we have conceded this season and also how many of them have contributed to us losing points and how many points.

I was watching my sky sports app, begging the FT to pop up, and it seemed like for not the first time this season we were on the wrong end of the late late show. In fact even my better half (who pays about as much attention to sport as I do to eastenders) said "they keep doing that recently don't they?"

So I wondered - can anyone put this together or even one of those league tables if games ended at 80 minutes.

Or is it all my imagination !!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't really get all the commotion, what difference does it make when you concede a goal?

Can be a indicator of player fitness levels ie. not being able to stay focused and switched on for the full 90+ stoppage.

32 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Does anyone have any idea how many late goals we have conceded this season and also how many of them have contributed to us losing points and how many points.

I was watching my sky sports app, begging the FT to pop up, and it seemed like for not the first time this season we were on the wrong end of the late late show. In fact even my better half (who pays about as much attention to sport as I do to eastenders) said "they keep doing that recently don't they?"

So I wondered - can anyone put this together or even one of those league tables if games ended at 80 minutes.

Or is it all my imagination !!!

If I remember correctly Bristol, Reading and Huddersfield. How many cost us points? All of them.

4 hours ago, Dethorn said:

Does anyone have any idea how many late goals we have conceded this season. 

I will tell you this 

Bristol City away last minute

Reading away last minute 

Huddersfield away last minute 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

If you don't put games to bed, you are bound to concede a higher percentage of late goals. 

Agreed with this.. We had enough chances against Bristol City and Reading to kill it off but unfortunately we failed to put it in the net.. 

Not sure I buy into the fitness levels thing as it's a cover all used by nearly every new manager when they take over and all the players who swear they are far more fit in fact never been as fit in their lives since the new manager took over ,,,I can go with that being true the odd time but that's about it ,,, belief ,spirit ,mental toughness , cold calmness under pressure , determination ,the ability to dig deep communicate with each other as a team and dig in as a team ,,, these are the qualities missing for me ,not simple fitness , 

17 minutes ago, archied said:

Not sure I buy into the fitness levels thing as it's a cover all used by nearly every new manager when they take over and all the players who swear they are far more fit in fact never been as fit in their lives since the new manager took over ,,,I can go with that being true the odd time but that's about it ,,, belief ,spirit ,mental toughness , cold calmness under pressure , determination ,the ability to dig deep communicate with each other as a team and dig in as a team ,,, these are the qualities missing for me ,not simple fitness , 

I think a legitimate argument can be made about this being a problem at the moment. To play the high pressing game, keeping opponents pegged back we want to play requires very high fitness levels particularly from your two attacking midfielders and your two inside forwards. However for the majority of the season we have played the complete opposite to this style of play. Therefore the fitness levels of the players won't be as high as they should be if they'd have played that way all season.

I think this is evident in that there has been a noticeable drop in energy levels around the 70 minute mark in the past 3 games, forcing us to drop back for the last 20 minutes of games. This has been exacerbated by the fact for the last 3 games we have been forced into quite a few changes through injuries or we haven't had the right options to add fresh legs in key areas. This is something that will improve over time getting back to playing this system.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

I will tell you this 

Bristol City away last minute

Reading away last minute 

Huddersfield away last minute 

?5 points squandered we would now be 13th and four points off the play offs. Steve needs to tell the players all games are now 95 minutes. When is the last time we scored a last minute winner ? NC used to play the last 10 minutes by the corner flags.?

6 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

?5 points squandered we would now be 13th and four points off the play offs. Steve needs to tell the players all games are now 95 minutes. When is the last time we scored a last minute winner ? NC used to play the last 10 minutes by the corner flags.?

Yeovil 3-2 Martin scored the winner 

Boro Sammon scored the winner (I'm not sure if that's last minute for this one?) 

Watford away Sammon scored the last minute winner? 

Nearly every game we start sitting back in the last 20 minutes and this invites pressure and it could be solved by the captain Keogh getting the team to play higher up the pitch, starting with the defence but his lack of leadership shines through every game.

We need a leader. We will never get to the prem without a leader.The coaches on the touchline should be screaming at them to play higher but they dont.They just accept it.

What's worrying is that psychologically the players (and opposition) know that we're very vulnerable to late goals & often these things can be self-fulfilling prophesies. The fact that we are so incapable of threatening the opposition goal if anything makes the problem worse, as they know we can't really hurt them & so can go for the jugular.

As some on here have suggested, getting further up the pitch would certainly improve things but so would ball retention in the final stages. It is a basic fact that if we keep the ball, the opposition can't hurt us. For some reason, we're excellent at playing pointless sideways passes for the majority of every match we play but on occasions when it'd actually be useful, we lose our heads & the ball. 

Said it a few times we never close a game out. If we're winning by one goal or drawing away and a draws a good result we never shut up shop. Before now we've seen full games of sideways and backward passing. Last five mins is when we should be doing this. Instead we're panicing and going into melt down. Rightly or wrongly we need to start faking cramp, start getting it to the corner flag, take a yellow and give away a free kick on the halfway line. Anything to slow the tempo and completely kill a game. I dont think its the rightway to play football but we're in the points business and we should be doing whatever we can in the final stages to protect them points. 

Archived