Late substitution

hope60

Seriously, why make a substitution in the 93rd minute, thus allowing the ref to add more time on.

I happen to think that without that change, Derby would have held on for the point.

Yes players should not lose concentration when these subs are made, but some do i'm afraid.

And if a sub was needed, surely the man to bring on was Faz Rawson.

Accept some portion of blame Mac.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, hope60 said:

Seriously, why make a substitution in the 93rd minute, thus allowing the ref to add more time on.

I happen to think that without that change, Derby would have held on for the point.

Yes players should not lose concentration when these subs are made, but some do i'm afraid.

And if a sub was needed, surely the man to bring on was Faz Rawson.

To turn on it's head..... what if we scored in added time and it was Weiman that scored..... 

Hindsight is really a beautiful thing 

48 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

To turn on it's head..... what if we scored in added time and it was Weiman that scored..... 

Hindsight is really a beautiful thing 

To turn it on its head again MB you could argue that if Shteve really wanted the win he'd had made attacking subs a lot earlier. ;)

I think he was happy with a point which we didn't get anyway. May as well gone all out and lost 2 or 3 in the end.

Just my really attack minded biased opinion though. I'd never make it as a football manager, we'd get tonked 6-4 every week.

59 minutes ago, hope60 said:

Talk about nit-picking! How do you really think such a thing is that important? Here we go again with the 'Blame Game'!

9 minutes ago, europia said:

All this talk about hanging on..... we were playing Huddersfied Town and we should be beating them, comfortably.

Huddersfield are a top three side having improved a lot over the summer. We are a team low on confidence struggling to regain form after Pearson's reign of terror. I don't see anything suggesting we should be beating them.

5 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Huddersfield are a top three side having improved a lot over the summer. We are a team low on confidence struggling to regain form after Pearson's reign of terror. I don't see anything suggesting we should be beating them.

Would that be the same confidence we were brimming with before pearsons reign of errrrm,,,,,,,10 minutes? This group can muster the odd frustratingly great performance / mini run but they do not have the confidence / belief to see a job out to its conclusion and that's been the case since long before Pearson was even a twinkle in mels eye ,, now whether Pearson was going fixing things in the right or wrong way is a matter of opinion as is whether he would have got it right long term ,but please let's not pretend that Derby are not going and have not been going backwards for some time and needed/ need fixing big style and pass it off as a blip created by Pearson 

7 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

To turn it on its head again MB you could argue that if Shteve really wanted the win he'd had made attacking subs a lot earlier. ;)

I think he was happy with a point which we didn't get anyway. May as well gone all out and lost 2 or 3 in the end.

Just my really attack minded biased opinion though. I'd never make it as a football manager, we'd get tonked 6-4 every week.

Go for a win ? That's very risky Tony. Why do you want to win? You do realise it was the mighty Huddersfield - one of the best teams in football? To quote the mac "we almost did it!" He's a tactical genius that Mcclaren - he knew a draw was the objective. And we came so very close! You really shouldn't be wanting to win, that's crazy. Now he's got a few days to train them he can teach them how to hang on for draws properly. 

5 hours ago, europia said:

All this talk about hanging on..... we were playing Huddersfied Town and we should be beating them, comfortably.

Ok, let's analyse that simple statement.

According to you, we should be beating the team ranked third in the table, away from home, comfortably. I'm pretty certain that you would also expect us to beat every team below them, both home and away. What about the two teams above them? Maybe beat brighton and draw with Newcastle at home, a draw at Brighton and perhaps the odd-goal defeat at Newcastle?

We can infer, therefore, that your expectation is a season of 43 wins, 2 draws and a solitary defeat.

There would still be moaners.

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Go for a win ? That's very risky Tony. Why do you want to win? You do realise it was the mighty Huddersfield - one of the best teams in football? To quote the mac "we almost did it!" He's a tactical genius that Mcclaren - he knew a draw was the objective. And we came so very close! You really shouldn't be wanting to win, that's crazy. Now he's got a few days to train them he can teach them how to hang on for draws properly. 

I'd normally agree with this mentality but you're missing a massive problem with this mentality. We currently don't have the energy levels required to play the way we are trying to for the full 90 and it's noticeable that we have run out of steam around the 70 min mark. Therefore trying to 'really go for it' in the last 20 against a side who have been flying this season would have been a disaster and honestly was the sensible decision from McClaren.

6 hours ago, europia said:

This is the root cause of all the drama after a defeat and half time booing, the belief/expectation that we should be smashing most teams in the league showing zero respect for the opposition.

Nothing at all suggests we should have gone their on Saturday and beat them comfortably, they are 3rd in the table on merit, not luck, and we're 21st on merit. 

30 minutes ago, David said:

This is the root cause of all the drama after a defeat and half time booing, the belief/expectation that we should be smashing most teams in the league showing zero respect for the opposition.

Nothing at all suggests we should have gone their on Saturday and beat them comfortably, they are 3rd in the table on merit, not luck, and we're 21st on merit. 

Spot on @David. Some people just see that Huddersfield are a 'small club' and that's enough to expect us to smash them, completing neglecting how good they are as a team.

The annoying thing is this reaction was completely predictable.

This is a deja vu throwback to 4 years ago.

I remember driving home from Huddersfield away after a similar result and a Derby fan rang Savage on the phone in saying the exact same thing. It was ******** 4 years ago and it's still ******** now. Even when we were good in Macca's first year or Clement's first half of the season there was no entitlement to be beating teams like Huddersfield Town. You've got to earn the right to be winning games in football, we're a long long way from that! Club size is a myth, I wouldn't look into to much unless you get a hard on for attendances. 

36 minutes ago, David said:

Er... I don't disagree that based on performances so far that we are 21st on merit. But isn't that the point... The booing, criticism etc is because of the performances so far? It's not bloody good enough. 

Should we expect to beat Huddersfield? Sheff wed did. Preston did. We lost. But not only did we lose we also managed just two  shots on target. we are not close to winning games because we are not scoring goals and people are right to criticise the team for that. 

6 hours ago, europia said:

We're a bottom four Championship side, when all said and done. 

We have no right to be competing with the Huddersfield's of this division. 

:whistle:

Archived