GT looks good to go... No?

Walsall_Ram

On 8 November 2016 at 15:36, Millenniumram said:

It wasn't the decision to play him that annoyed me, but rather that once we were still losing towards the end wassall started to rest players, while leaving arguably our most important player on the pitch and if I remember correctly I believe he left him almost as the only recognised centre mid on the pitch for a while, a sheer ludicrous decision

I think to be fair, some players were getting booked, so wassall took them off as a sending off would have led to a suspension in the play offs. Even so, I don't think we should ever have played george against Ipswich, such a physical team. Oh well, plenty to regret just now. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think to be fair, some players were getting booked, so wassall took them off as a sending off would have led to a suspension in the play offs. Even so, I don't think we should ever have played george against Ipswich, such a physical team. Oh well, plenty to regret just now. 

Yeah I know it was a difficult decision but still you should save your best players IMO and throne is certainly one 

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

I was more cheesed off when Charlie George dislocated his shoulder in 1976

Rams were on for the double that season!!

I wish I knew more of this era in Derby's history.  The likes of George, Lee, Hinton & Rioch must have made match day something really worth looking forward too.

1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I wish I knew more of this era in Derby's history.  The likes of George, Lee, Hinton & Rioch must have made match day something really worth looking forward too.

if only we had a David Nish or Steve Buckley now to replace Cyrus now - and a dominant man like Rioch in midfield - we would be right up there

Just now, irobinson said:

Yeah but you know what I mean on quality.....I did like Langan.....energy was great

I most certainly do. In the dark days of the late 70's & early 80's Steve Buckley was my favourite player. You never saw him shy away from a challenge. Nishy always struck me as classy and composed.

21 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

hang the f on, so basically he should retire from playing?

ALL 11 players are 3 times more likely to get injured, so what's your beef?

Thorne had struggled for fitness all season having come back from his previous injury. Yet he was our most influential player when in the side, fit and on form. We needed him fit and on form for the 3 games we hoped to have in the playoffs. We had no replacement for him should he get injured. The game against Ipswich was almost meaningless. Regardless of the result we would be playing Hull next. As stated by me and other sensible posters before the Ipswich match, it was vital not to play Thorne in this match. There was nothing to be gained and everything to lose (if he was to get injured).

All 11 players are not equal. Thorne and Hughes were the key players to take out of the firing line against a Mick McCarthy team given both players weren't at the fitness levels where they would be able to play the Ipswich game followed by three further full matches including possibly extra time. Wassall's selection was one of the worst I've ever seen in football and it cost us.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Thorne had struggled for fitness all season having come back from his previous injury. Yet he was our most influential player when in the side, fit and on form. We needed him fit and on form for the 3 games we hoped to have in the playoffs. We had no replacement for him should he get injured. The game against Ipswich was almost meaningless. Regardless of the result we would be playing Hull next. As stated by me and other sensible posters before the Ipswich match, it was vital not to play Thorne in this match. There was nothing to be gained and everything to lose (if he was to get injured).

All 11 players are not equal. Thorne and Hughes were the key players to take out of the firing line against a Mick McCarthy team given both players weren't at the fitness levels where they would be able to play the Ipswich game followed by three further full matches including possibly extra time. Wassall's selection was one of the worst I've ever seen in football and it cost us.

totally disagree. You should always pick your best team. You should try and gain momentum and confidence. Any player can get a broken leg. Even with Thorne playing that first leg against Hull, we would have lost. Had he not been injured, you wouldn't be able to criticise the selection. For such a logical poster, your level of conviction in this nonsense theory is astounding, and I mean actually... I am astounded.

This old rubbish again. If a player has to be wrapped in cotton wool, then there's never any point in even considering him for the side.

If Thorne had not played against Ipswich, he might have tripped over a carelessly discarded Jake Buxton coffee cup.

If he had been rested, he might still have had a stinker against Hull, or suffered an injury in that game leaving Wassall having to change things around during the game.

Just now, eddie said:

This old rubbish again. If a player has to be wrapped in cotton wool, then there's never any point in even considering him for the side.

If Thorne had not played against Ipswich, he might have tripped over a carelessly discarded Jake Buxton coffee cup.

If he had been rested, he might still have had a stinker against Hull, or suffered an injury in that game leaving Wassall having to change things around during the game.

Everything happens for a reason ;) 

1 minute ago, eddie said:

Totally....its almost like him being injury prone somehow attracted the players boot to connect with his shin and break it.

I was gutted properly on that day, but still agree with playing him.

Archived