GT looks good to go... No?

Walsall_Ram

George Thorne is still some way of a return to first-team action, says Derby County boss Steve McClaren.

Thorne has not played since he broke his leg in two places in the Rams' final Championship fixture of last season against Ipswich Town at the iPro Stadium.

There had been talk of a possible mid-November return for the midfielder but when asked if there is a chance of Thorne being ready after the international break, McClaren said: "No, no, he's a way off is George.

"We have what we have, and I am delighted with the attitude of the squad."

Thorne has been desperately unlucky with injuries since he signed permanently for Derby in the summer of 2014.

Injuries have restricted him to a total 51 appearances.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/when-will-george-thorne-be-back-in-action-derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-issues-update/story-29876440-detail/story.html#1ZvWxBd8Iwcwvi5V.99

As vague as ever..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

The problem is that it is starting to look like after Christmas could be 'rushing him back'.

This.

I do hope George is able to play some part this season because a footballer's body needs to remain used to the rigours of playing week in week out. Otherwise injuries will plague him forever.

There are some things I don't think I'll ever forgive and one is the Iraq War, but another is the ridiculous decision to play Thorne against Ipswich. The consequences of such unbelievable stupidity have proved very grave indeed.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This.

I do hope George is able to play some part this season because a footballer's body needs to remain used to the rigours of playing week in week out. Otherwise injuries will plague him forever.

There are some things I don't think I'll ever forgive and one is the Iraq War, but another is the ridiculous decision to play Thorne against Ipswich. The consequences of such unbelievable stupidity have proved very grave indeed.

A big statement there. Usually you go into the playoffs with the best possible form for momentum. It was a freak injury that had nothing to do with his knees - but a freakish bad tackle. 

I really honestly have completely - and selectively - forgot about him. Would be best to do the same and let him enjoy his golfing games with proper premier league players.

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

you mention 'stupidity'? interesting.

30 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This.

It wasn't the decision to play him that annoyed me, but rather that once we were still losing towards the end wassall started to rest players, while leaving arguably our most important player on the pitch and if I remember correctly I believe he left him almost as the only recognised centre mid on the pitch for a while, a sheer ludicrous decision

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It wasn't the decision to play him that annoyed me, but rather that once we were still losing towards the end wassall started to rest players, while leaving arguably our most important player on the pitch and if I remember correctly I believe he left him almost as the only recognised centre mid on the pitch for a while, a sheer ludicrous decision

We were going to take him off but Martin was on a booking and started looking like he was going to get sent off so he went off instead. 

Bradley Johnson is currently doing a good job and is improving with every game. Yes George is a very very good player but this team showed for 45 minutes against wolves that they can play without him. 

Let's not rush him back and I for one would love to see him on the bench for 4/5 games. 

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

This.

We had all this before, I don't agree, you cannot pick a team based on hindsight or that a player may get injured. Who do you rest? Was wassall supposed to make 11 changes?

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

you mention 'stupidity'? interesting.

Stupidity indeed. I don't mind fans saying "you can just as well get injured in training" as Wassall did, because it's not their profession. However, the statistics indicate you're more than three times as likely to get injured in a match. It's shocking if our best coaches are equally ignorant.

With almost nothing to play for, what was the worst that could happen? It was George Thorne who we had no back up for getting injured. So it was clearly stupid to risk him when he would have benefited from a rest before the playoff games to come againt Hull. Would we have lost 0-3 in the first leg in the team if a rested George Thorne had played? Of course not.

6 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

A big statement there. Usually you go into the playoffs with the best possible form for momentum. It was a freak injury that had nothing to do with his knees - but a freakish bad tackle. 

I really honestly have completely - and selectively - forgot about him. Would be best to do the same and let him enjoy his golfing games with proper premier league players.

Exactly this, treat any pitch minutes in the future as an added bonus. At the rate he's going, he'll be back for a Barkeresque 92nd minute curtain closer against Burton. 

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

However, the statistics indicate you're more than three times as likely to get injured in a match

what statistics? You haven't quoted the legend/group/genre.

You're more than three times likely to get injured if what??

17 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

what statistics? You haven't quoted the legend/group/genre.

You're more than three times likely to get injured if what??

For instance:

"Soccer players are more than three times more likely to be injured in a game (16.9 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures) than in practice (5.1 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures)."

taken from https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_M_Soccer_Injuries_WEB.pdf

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For instance:

"Soccer players are more than three times more likely to be injured in a game (16.9 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures) than in practice (5.1 injuries per 1,000 athlete exposures)."

taken from https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_M_Soccer_Injuries_WEB.pdf

hang the f on, so basically he should retire from playing?

ALL 11 players are 3 times more likely to get injured, so what's your beef?

27 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For instance:

If an "exposure" is a training session or match and they train 4 times a week and play a match once, aren't they more likely to be injured in training?

Archived