Random stuff that cheers me up thread

Stive Pesley

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Having picked up a bout of the trots at a kids party last weekend & feeling properly rough......

Waking up this morning feeling back up to full speed, then tightening my belt a notch and notice I've lost 4lb.

Just how many wotsits, mini scotch eggs and jaffa cakes did you eat at the party?

And all that fizzy pop and running around showing off. I've no sympathy. (Tut).

This forum .. No I really mean it. I am conversing on a regular basis with folk from numerous different backgrounds and with political, social and sporting beliefs that aren't the same. Yet we all get on pretty damn well. There is a fantastic, fun, sometimes combative exchange of opinion but always in a brilliantly open self policed way. Yeah, we have our "mates" of like mind but it is great to come across a different view and have your own shifted just a few degrees because someone has made you think outside your own boundaries. 

Jeees I really am thinking of parting with some folding stuff as a gesture of support and become a plus or whatever it is.

owners / operators take a bow. 

12 hours ago, jono said:

This forum .. No I really mean it. I am conversing on a regular basis with folk from numerous different backgrounds and with political, social and sporting beliefs that aren't the same. Yet we all get on pretty damn well. There is a fantastic, fun, sometimes combative exchange of opinion but always in a brilliantly open self policed way. Yeah, we have our "mates" of like mind but it is great to come across a different view and have your own shifted just a few degrees because someone has made you think outside your own boundaries. 

Jeees I really am thinking of parting with some folding stuff as a gesture of support and become a plus or whatever it is.

Have to agree. There are a couple of teams forums I've used in the past and a few I haven't but still check in on daily and the amount of abuse and bickering that goes on between fans OF THE SAME CLUB is tragic. That's all it seems to be on thread after thread and it gets sad and tiresome.

This forum mostly I have found to be filled with fans of varying backgrounds and opinions like Jono said but each willing to listen to one another and try to help too if need be. Rarely do folk get abusive or obnoxious and that is despite Derby being a big club and therefore the site having many many more users than many clubs. You'd have thought you'd get a fair selection of knobs but no. Everyone is friendly and there for help and advice about anything if needed. Even hard to talk about things like depression and addictions. Nobody judges.

Spot on Jono. It's a great and fun place to be and that's credit to all the Derby fans that use it and of course Dave and the mods that help run it.

13 hours ago, jono said:

24 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Have to agree. There are a couple of teams forums I've used in the past and a few I haven't but still check in on daily and the amount of abuse and bickering that goes on between fans OF THE SAME CLUB is tragic. That's all it seems to be on thread after thread and it gets sad and tiresome.

This forum mostly I have found to be filled with fans of varying backgrounds and opinions like Jono said but each willing to listen to one another and try to help too if need be. Rarely do folk get abusive or obnoxious and that is despite Derby being a big club and therefore the site having many many more users than many clubs. You'd have thought you'd get a fair selection of knobs but no. Everyone is friendly and there for help and advice about anything if needed. Even hard to talk about things like depression and addictions. Nobody judges.

Spot on Jono. It's a great and fun place to be and that's credit to all the Derby fans that use it and of course Dave and the mods that help run it.

512295_3d.jpg

Mechanics who quote you a rough estimate for work then ring you when the job is done only for the final bill to be much less than you expected and budgeted for.

There are good, honest, decent , professional mechanics out there and I've found one.

It's happened a couple of times too. He could charge me the estimate or even more and to be honest I'd be none the wiser and paid.

The work is always of a high standard, guaranteed and not let me down yet.

Hurray for honesty!!

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 09:12, StivePesley said:

When you read through a lengthy online debate and you disagree with what people are saying, so you stick your neck out and say something - get a torrent of abuse back - and then suddenly someone you don't know pops up and agrees with you. Immediately restoring both your faith in humanity and the thought that you may be going mad.

Happened to me the other day. Did it on the Will Hughes thread and got a 'torrent of abuse' until my hero @Ramarena backed me up. Forever Grateful :wub:

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Mechanics who quote you a rough estimate for work then ring you when the job is done only for the final bill to be much less than you expected and budgeted for.

There are good, honest, decent , professional mechanics out there and I've found one.

It's happened a couple of times too. He could charge me the estimate or even more and to be honest I'd be none the wiser and paid.

The work is always of a high standard, guaranteed and not let me down yet.

Hurray for honesty!!

I always get wary of garages that offer free '8 point checks' etc when you take your car in for some minor work. They always seem to find something. I had to take my car in to the main dealer close on 5 years ago for some work which was covered by them, they did a free check for me and advised me i needed a new battery. Quoted me back then nearly 200.00 for it. 

I still have the car and ONLY just have put a new battery in at a cost of £85.00.

My wife ... She has been listening to me talking about the Renaissance of Darren Bent with a look that varies between glaze eyed disinterest (with a tolerant smile) and outright boredom. She has been icing a Christmas cake today and told me with great enthusiasm an hour ago that Darren Southcake was the New England manager 

2 hours ago, jono said:

My wife ... She has been listening to me talking about the Renaissance of Darren Bent with a look that varies between glaze eyed disinterest (with a tolerant smile) and outright boredom. She has been icing a Christmas cake today and told me with great enthusiasm an hour ago that Darren Southcake was the New England manager 

Its good that things like the new England manager are still raisin her interest.

11 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Its good that things like the new England manager are still raisin her interest.

And that she is keeping up with currant affairs.

My mum!

Despite having had many difficulties in her life including a disability from birth that doctors told my grandparents would mean she'd never live past her 7th birthday and then she'd never walk unaided and then she wouldn't be able to have children, she remains the most positive, generous and cheerful person I know.

If I'm feeling a little low, a quick chat with mum soon lifts my mood.