POLL: (requested by Anon). McClaren's objectives; What is acceptable

Mostyn6

what final league position fans would find acceptable enough to keep McClaren?  

291 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, if I was going to have to draw a line then I'd say top half is acceptable but really he just has to get a positive feeling back in the club, that we're going somewhere and we're going somewhere with some style and conviction.

My blind guess is that we're going to finish 6th/7th/8th. I'm not sure what's going on with the league this year (who ever is?) but I've got a feeling that we'll hit our stride post January and get close to making the play-off's but probably not make it.

Summer 2017 is going to be exciting and important.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for 7th-10th. 

We've had our worst ever start to a championship campaign, are devoid of confidence, have a lot of players out of form. 

From that start I'd say 7th to 10th is a very good response. 

I'm taking a picture of the league as it is now and will be very interested where we finish this season. Not that it matters but will be keeping an eye especially on Villa as the change of manager came on the same day to two very similar teams. 

Lets hope our playing style and enjoyment returns first and foremost and once it does I'm sure the rest will follow. 

57 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

ehhh you can't really extrapolate that it's only 2 people and is a bit of a poor sample size.

Lol :D I was just being provocative. Joking you know :whistle:..... Mind you, goes to show what you can do with statistics. 

Heard a great one about violent video games .. Claim that every mass shooting was carried out a young male person had been a player of violent video games .. Thus proving what manage to society they are. Except when they consider 93 % of all young males play violent video games and the theory starts to look pretty daft

I went 11-14th. Doesn't really matter in terms of final position - but we should expect the team to start really performing well from January onwards. 

To get to the playoffs now we'll need to win 2 out of every 3 games.

If Steve pulls that off then I'll pull him off. Gladly.

I went for the second option but imo it's too early to be setting expectations. I think we need to see what this squads actually like, whether it just needed minor work or is really in trouble that takes a longer term task to fix. I'd say just see how the first couple of weeks go and then once we've seen what the team is like without Pearson and more about what it's capable of then we can set expectations

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Lol :D I was just being provocative. Joking you know :whistle:..... Mind you, goes to show what you can do with statistics. 

Heard a great one about violent video games .. Claim that every mass shooting was carried out a young male person had been a player of violent video games .. Thus proving what manage to society they are. Except when they consider 93 % of all young males play violent video games and the theory starts to look pretty daft

Yeah your right you can torture statistics to sing if you're clever about it. It's up to the reader to decipher whether it's bullshit or not.  

I do find it worrying that 22% (26 people, a little bit better sample) think that only acceptable end to the season is playoffs. We'd have to have an absolute cracking run of form to achieve playoffs. I'm not saying it isn't doable but it shouldn't be expected.

I'd be happy to enjoy some good football and gain a sense that the club is working towards a bit of a long term vision again.

Though I wasn't a fan of the decision, when we got rid of Clough it marked a step change in our ambitions but it seemed relatively well calculated and the next step in our journey to becoming a Premiership club.

However, the expectations became completely ridiculous and we lacked a coherent vision for what kind of club we want to be. It's been utter chaos and the bitterness flying around has been pretty poisonous.

I just want us to gain some stability and play some football that people might like to watch. If we can get some academy players involved and hungry to be part of the first team that'd be a great bonus. If we finish mid-table having a sense of looking forward to next season then I'd be happy enough.

46 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I've refused to submit an answer as there is no option for the auto slots. A grave omission in my book :ph34r:

* get us playing football, get the players playing without fear again, shore up the defence, get us moving up the table - 7th to 10th ok, play-offs would be great

This comment is great considering your name. 76 points from 35 games. 25 wins and a draw?! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Tombo said:

This comment is great considering your name. 76 points from 35 games. 25 wins and a draw?! :lol:

Sorry @Tombo I don't understand what you're saying. The 86 points thing was from when I signed up at the start of last season - was kind of hoping we'd achieve that number and with it an auto slot. It'd be a minor miracle were to reach that figure this season unfortunately but we can dream huh?

I put playoffs.

Not that I think we should sack him if we didn't make them, I think we have the squad to get there but 10 points maybe too much.

On the way if we start playing the stuff we used to and just miss out i'll be happy going into next season.

We shouldn't expect instant results either, I know that's hard for some of the slobber chops here to accept but it could take a month or so.

I'm hopeful and getting a bit excited now for the season. 

Fully paid up member of the tufty club :p

Archived