POLL: (requested by Anon). McClaren's objectives; What is acceptable

Mostyn6

what final league position fans would find acceptable enough to keep McClaren?  

291 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truthfully, it's probably worth keeping him on until his contract ends in 17/18, unless we're nowhere near next year. This year I'd expect us to make some movement up the table, but I can't expect too much. I'm eerily reminded of Brighton, who after the playoff semi losses to us in 13/14, had a nightmare in 14/15. Hughton was simply tasked with keeping them up when he came in, but then he made them competitors again the following season.

So I mean there is damage that needs undoing. I'm conscious of that, think we all should be conscious of that. This year just get us comfortably clear of the dropzone. So that doesn't mean finishing 20th or 21st and staying up on goal difference. Anything above 18th will do for this season. I want and expect better, but this is a question of what would it take for him to lose his job in my view. Only relegation or near-relegation would do that for me. And only at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Truthfully, it's probably worth keeping him on until his contract ends in 17/18, unless we're nowhere near next year. This year I'd expect us to make some movement up the table, but I can't expect too much. I'm eerily reminded of Brighton, who after the playoff semi losses to us in 13/14, had a nightmare in 14/15. Hughton was simply tasked with keeping them up when he came in, but then he made them competitors again the following season.

So I mean there is damage that needs undoing. I'm conscious of that, think we all should be conscious of that. This year just get us comfortably clear of the dropzone. So that doesn't mean finishing 20th or 21st and staying up on goal difference. Anything above 18th will do for this season. I want and expect better, but this is a question of what would it take for him to lose his job in my view. Only relegation or near-relegation would do that for me. And only at the end of the season.

I was just about to write pretty much the same thing. As long as their some improvement from our start and there is evidence of it 'coming together' he at least gets another season for me.

It's absolutely crazy to EXPECT playoffs this season. 

23 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'm not really going to judge on league position too much - but there's enough about this squad to get close to the playoffs, if not squeak in.

I actually think if Mac can get us on a path to the playoffs this season, we'd probably win them. To get to the playoffs now would require us to be one of the best two teams in the league from now till the end of the season.

10th - 7th.

With the players we have and now the manager we have, we're more than capable of that.  Sunderland won the league with a much more workmanlike team from a similar position under Keane so I don't see why we can't steadily climb the table.  However first and foremost I think everybody would just like a return to the quick pass & move stuff we enjoyed during Schteve's first go as manager.  If Waffall was able to get the occasional performance out of roughly the same group of players, there's no reason why he can't as well...

4 minutes ago, Adslegend said:

Personally I'd prefer to judge it on how our football is. If it's entertaining and easy on the eye then that's enough for me. Get the football back first and then worry about results.

I agree with this, but I also think that good football inevitably yields good results. There'd have to be an awful lot of anomalous results for us to have played well and somehow finish lower than 14th.

For me we should be looking for a top half finish. But if we dont and the signs are there of good football but needing a few tweaks and a couple of players to really hit the play offs next season then I will be happy enough.

1 hour ago, Adslegend said:

Personally I'd prefer to judge it on how our football is. If it's entertaining and easy on the eye then that's enough for me. Get the football back first and then worry about results.

Spot on. Same here. Get some exciting high tempo attacking football and then see what happens.

I have said play offs because your target should always be the best possible given the circumstances . But I'd be happy with top half of the table,  a high goals scored figure and teams being frightened to come to the Ipro.

What frightens me is that nearly 3% of us think avoiding relegation is a reasonable objective. What !! ????

If you extrapolate that to a home crowd then 1000 people must be of the "I bet your fun at parties" brigade 

20 minutes ago, jono said:

What frightens me is that nearly 3% of us think avoiding relegation is a reasonable objective. What !! ????

If you extrapolate that to a home crowd then 1000 people must be of the "I bet your fun at parties" brigade 

ehhh you can't really extrapolate that it's only 2 people and is a bit of a poor sample size.

I hope we make the play offs. I expect us to still  be capable of making the play offs. But there isn't one route to the play offs. If we start well and then fall apart like we did under Mcclaren last time during his second season then I will be annoyed. Who wouldn't. Circumstances are everything. Just getting behind him and the side is all that matters in the first 6 games. 

Archived