SKY Q

Wolfie

I noticed yesterday that SKY Q boxes are now standard for their (new) customers.

Anyone got one & are they any good?.

It's only been the fast broadband that's kept me with Virgin up to now but I'm getting fed up with the slooooow Tivo box; increasing price and SKY now offering up to 40Mbps fibre in my street. OK, it might not be the 150Mbps I get now but who really needs 150 anyway?. Or even 50, for that matter.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upgraded to Sky Q last week. Yes it's good but it's not perfect.

The remote control, you get 2. One has a touch control the other doesn't. Touch one is rubbish the other not. Problem is there is no TV Guide button, you have to press home then up 4 times to get there. No way of setting where the home button takes you. Hopefully they change that in later updates.

The good, multi room. Upstairs boxes don't need wires from the dish now, all works over wifi through your router. You can manage recordings and watch them all on the second box or an iPad. You can pause a programme downstairs and continue watching upstairs.

Loaaaads more storage, if you get the 2TB you can record 4 programmes and watch a 5th.

Back to the remote, you can programme it to your sound bar and tv. 

I've just signed up for it with the bloke in the shopping centre.

2TB box which you need for Ultra HD, 2nd mini box, 80 meg unlimited fibre, line rental and every channel was £65 a month on a 12 month contract, with £99 upfront.

Roughly 70 a month less than I was paying Virgin, and has extended highlights of Championship games on demand as a bonus.

Was about £110 a month via Sky website, I think.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

when I look at the price to upgrade they wanted about £60 extra a month.. screw that.

Doesn't sound right. I paid £60 for the main box plus a mini and installation (one off fee). They added £12pm extra a month to my contract for multi room.

Money saving expert currently have a link for £30 a month for SkyQ plus movies and sports. But only for new customers :(

Im tempted to upgrade to it, but I only have one tv in the house, we watch a lot more on the iPad and computer. So the multi room stuff would be lost on me, and I'll feel I won't be getting my money's worth. Maybe when I get a second tv. 

Having said that, maybe it would be worth it for being able to watch recording on the iPad. It does piss me off that I can't watch things I've recorded in bed, and I have to wait til they come on demand. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Doesn't sound right. I paid £60 for the main box plus a mini and installation (one off fee). They added £12pm extra a month to my contract for multi room.

yeah, I looked a few months back. Right now though, it's a £90 up front, and £18 extra per month.

at the moment though, I don't need it, as my TV is only 1080hp, and I have HDMI splitter feeding a cable into the bedroom for my TV there. Are there other benefits? I don't record much, and can record 2 things on my current box.

My contract is up in January, may be able to negotiate a better deal then.

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Money saving expert currently have a link for £30 a month for SkyQ plus movies and sports. But only for new customers :(

Im tempted to upgrade to it, but I only have one tv in the house, we watch a lot more on the iPad and computer. So the multi room stuff would be lost on me, and I'll feel I won't be getting my money's worth. Maybe when I get a second tv. 

Having said that, maybe it would be worth it for being able to watch recording on the iPad. It does piss me off that I can't watch things I've recorded in bed, and I have to wait til they come on demand. 

You don't need the second box so you wouldn't have to pay the multi room fee, also the Sky Q iPad app works the same way as a second box, you can watch every channel you have, plus manage and watch recorded programmes that are on the main box. You can also download for offline watching.

7 hours ago, David said:

The remote control, you get 2. One has a touch control the other doesn't. Touch one is rubbish the other not. Problem is there is no TV Guide button, you have to press home then up 4 times to get there. No way of setting where the home button takes you. Hopefully they change that in later updates.

The good, multi room. Upstairs boxes don't need wires from the dish now, all works over wifi through your router. You can manage recordings and watch them all on the second box or an iPad. You can pause a programme downstairs and continue watching upstairs.

Loaaaads more storage, if you get the 2TB you can record 4 programmes and watch a 5th.

When the h*ll do you find the time to watch all the recorded programmes?

Just gone for an EE box,cost me nothing and has all of the freeview stuff,1th storage plus catch up stuff....

It can constantly record the last 24 of up to five channels continuously whilst recording 4 others on timer...this feature is ideal for jumping back to the start of stuff you have missed the beginning of or programmes in the last day you forgot to program in

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I would upgrade but there's a massive tree that makes my signal far too hit and miss for live tv. Any rain or wind and I'm screwed and forget it when it's in full,bloom.

anyone got a chainsaw I could borrow?!

Use sky go and watch it on tv via a device. Xbox? Or laptop I guess. Dare I say Apple TV, but not suitable for sky sports.

8 hours ago, David said:

did someone have to install it?

The on demand by club feature looked awesome, hopefully they extend this to the Championship.

As it was, I treated the Vic Centre Nottingham to highlights of Cardiff vs Derby!

Didn't bother with the other games, obviously.

No selling points for me yet, I have sky HD and watch in the two other rooms via the old coax cable that's run through the walls, don't get HD on the two other TVs but smallish screens so doesn't really matter, remote control no issue as use sky plus app on phone to control sky box. Only time I need to watch different channel I HDMI from laptop to TV on sky go. Think for me I will wait until no extra cost or get a 4k TV.

Archived