It's Time for some Mel Morris Leadership

Ellafella

Good leadership means intervening at the appropriate time, having weighed up the evidence and seeing where things are heading. The intervention needs to change the course of where things are going, or to dispel a fallacious view of where things are heading. Sometimes leaders don't have the luxury of waiting for a sufficient amount of evidence/data before they make the decision. 

Sometimes, good leadership is about holding up our hands and saying "for whatever reason, a decision we took some while ago isn't working, nor will it work simply with the passage of further time". It isn't good leadership to duck an issue because we feel that if we take the appropriate action we will look like we didn't know what we were doing originally. 

Good leaders know this intuitively and instinctively. 

I suspect Mel Morris is sitting on the horns of an almighty dilemma right now...move this way and the left one gets it, move that way and the right one gets it [ ie balls] . There are a number of theories right now as to what is the cause(s) of Derby County's downward spiral is (are). Most of them are very wide of the mark (players not up to it, players are "bottlers", players have a collective psychological fear of success etc.) My view is simply that we have a poor fit between the Club and the Manager. Whether we agree with that position or not, quite clearly the Club is in a state of division and confusion right now in utter contrast with the recent past when we had Sam Rush consulting fans and bringing fans together and airing issues and making us feel united. 

The Club really needs to be brought back together with some timely words of leadership, especially if the result goes against us tonight. We seem to have lost that voice for a while now. We need to know what the view from the very top is. 

Anyone disagree?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm torn between the idea that a number of senior players don't fit in with the club's ambitions.

Club - Prem mentality and ambition

Manager - Prem mentality and ambition

Players - ??

If we have 2 out of 3 right, then you should bring the 3rd one in line, not abandon the other 2! If Pearson WAS replaced, we would still have suspect/failing players.

If I was Mel, I'd sack a good number of players for underperforming with no commitment and let Pearson bring in some more of his own players in January.

I'd also want to see some academy players bringing through over the next few games and see how they get on.

I'd also probably buy an even bigger house somewhere abroad and let somebody called CHCDerby go and stay for a year with his family and give them 100k spending money.

Go on Mel, which option are you going to go for.

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

I suspect Mel Morris is sitting on the horns of an almighty dilemma right now...move this way and the left one gets it, move that way and the right one gets it [ ie balls] . There are a number of theories right now as to what is the cause(s) of Derby County's downward spiral is (are). Most of them are very wide of the mark (players not up to it, players are "bottlers", players have a collective psychological fear of success etc.)

There's no proof that those theories mentioned are wide of the mark, nor any that they are correct. I judge by what I see on the pitch and if you only consider the last game, the players are not putting the effort in. Surely it's a minimum requirement that the team gives 100 percent for the fans.

You are probably right about Mel, he is facing a big dilemma.

1 minute ago, europia said:

There's no proof that those theories mentioned are wide of the mark, nor any that they are correct. I judge by what I see on the pitch and if you only consider the last game, the players are not putting the effort in. Surely it's a minimum requirement that the team gives 100 percent for the fans.

I do believe that @Tombo provided evidence in other thread that we totally out worked Blackburn. 

2 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

If I was Mel, I'd sack a good number of players for underperforming with no commitment and let Pearson bring in some more of his own players in January.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no 

This is totally wrong.

Mel shouldn't be deciding which players are in and out, that is what he is paying a manager to do and undermining him by doing as you say is worse than entering the dressing room when Clement was 'in charge'.

We cannot do nothing until January transfer window, which means we have to rely on these player until then. So I'd be saying to Pearson, "win them over, coach them, get them playing, earn your money".

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I do believe that @Tombo provided evidence in other thread that we totally out worked Blackburn. 

Effort isn't just measure in how many kilometres you cover in a game. You have to be focused on the job in hand. That wasn't evident on Saturday. Just my observation though...

I do disagree to a certain extent. Mel, Sam et el are stuck between a rock and a hard place. When they were in the press every week, they were lambasted as being self publicists. Now it's gone quiet, they get attacked for not keeping the fans in the loop. I do think it's far too soon to decide if Pearson is going to be a long term success or not. I think IF he will succeed he will need this coming and at least one other transfer window to reshape the team. Don't confuse not changing the manager with not making a decision. Sometimes it's much harder to keep to the course you have set, rather than flip flopping with public opinion 

6 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I do disagree to a certain extent. Mel, Sam et el are stuck between a rock and a hard place. When they were in the press every week, they were lambasted as being self publicists. Now it's gone quiet, they get attacked for not keeping the fans in the loop. I do think it's far too soon to decide if Pearson is going to be a long term success or not. I think IF he will succeed he will need this coming and at least one other transfer window to reshape the team. Don't confuse not changing the manager with not making a decision. Sometimes it's much harder to keep to the course you have set, rather than flip flopping with public opinion 

Isn't this the probable reason that Pearson's manager in the first place? Fans demanded an experienced manager (whatever the hell that means) and so the continuity philosophy was no more.

Either that or Pearson is seriously failing to meet up to his job specification.

Glory-Glory bring Sam Rush back,this club is in this mess because of his next level rubbish allowing  amateurs to do jobs they know nothing about,The players brought to this club,under his guidance and millions spent,under him just to stay in the championship,and you want him back,,If Pearson fails after 3 years,then we will have achieved exactly the same championship football,Calling for Managers to be sacked.is a last resort,and all who do it after 8 games,need to take a break

And learn what support is,We have someone who has come in to do a job,move this club forward,and this takes time.

And support,If this expensive team were good enough.we would be in the premiership,a experiment gone wrong.

Why did we give it 3 seasons staff coming and going like no tomorrow,If we had changed it after 8 games look how much money we would have saved mega millions, The next 3 years will be more in line with building a team not buying one

to still play in the championship,  if so       ,then Pearson will have failed

57 minutes ago, europia said:

55 minutes ago, cannable said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1084941/Live

Heatmaps and number of touches. Plus superior possession. Plus I was there and I know what I saw.

54 minutes ago, cannable said:

Isn't this the probable reason that Pearson's manager in the first place? Fans demanded an experienced manager (whatever the hell that means) and so the continuity philosophy was no more.

Either that or Pearson is seriously failing to meet up to his job specification.

Absolutely correct. Doodle talks about public opinion as if it's some kind of "invalid yardstick". In fact, public opinion means that a critical mass of people believe things to such a degree that it's likely to be the correct "perception"; It's not always the case though. 

The point of the post is that Derby County needs some leadership right now from the Chief Officers.Leadership that calls for cool heads or a rolling head...:mellow: 

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Effort isn't just measure in how many kilometres you cover in a game. You have to be focused on the job in hand. That wasn't evident on Saturday. Just my observation though...

What you see as lack of focus/effort, I see as a lack of confidence, a lack of overall direction and a lack of a cohesive tactical plan.

Archived