Radio Derby Support

DerbyRevolution

32 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst it is correct that the will have all played in a 442 that doesn't mean they will be at their most effective in a 442 also it doesn't help that what they are currently playing is a very poorly thought out 442, with clear tactical issues that can and have been exploited. The motivation bit is patently not true for any club, never mind just Derby, and has always been part of the manager's remit. From what your saying if they can go out and play a 442 and they don't need motivating, why do we even need a manager?

if you are playing premier league or championship football is it fair to assume you are in the top 300 in the country for your profession? so the wages don't bother me, 15-20k a week, 750k-£1m a year. Top surgeons get this? Top architects? 

however the motivation thing i'm not buying. I turn up to work and i'm pretty motivated to do a good job, earning praise from managers or colleagues is important, feeling respected is important.

do surgeons and architects need someone stood behind them motivating them? i doubt it. 

footballers are highly skilled, but also highly privileged people. 

they need a manager for guidance obviously, if they cant motivate themselves then are they in the right job? 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

however the motivation thing i'm not buying. I turn up to work and i'm pretty motivated to do a good job, earning praise from managers or colleagues is important, feeling respected is important.

you don't understand the human mind and mental performance then.

Doing a good job is different to doing a competitive job. If your job was to constantly do better than someone else doing the same job, whilst also trying to stop them doing a better job than you and they were trying to stop YOU doing a good job, you'd think very differently.

By the very nature of your ignorant thoughts, by definition, a footballer is doing his job by turning up to training and playing.

What you are ignoring is that you are asking for them to EXCEL at their job, not just perform it, and that is where the motivation and confidence comes into things. When the mood is good, and the confidence is high, it's easier to excel.

1 minute ago, DerbyRevolution said:

if you are playing premier league or championship football is it fair to assume you are in the top 300 in the country for your profession? so the wages don't bother me, 15-20k a week, 750k-£1m a year. Top surgeons get this? Top architects? 

do surgeons and architects need someone stood behind them motivating them? i doubt it. 

footballers are highly skilled, but also highly privileged people. 

they need a manager for guidance obviously, if they cant motivate themselves then are they in the right job? 

Some very fair points there but there is some stuff I'd like to add.

Taking yourself as the example, would you be motivated to do your job if your were being asked by your manager to a do job you're not comfortable doing (from a skill perspective) and you had serious doubts over what direction (if any) the manager was taking ? 

Your right a surgeon doesn't need someone behind them motivating them, but they might well need someone there after they've lost several patients in a day through no fault of their own where they might be full of self-doubt.

Perhaps motivation is not quite the right though. A footballer's performance is highly driven by confidence. Confidence in football can from a multitude of things, performing well, winning and a belief in the manager's direction. If this isn't happening it's down to Manager to inspire confidence and get the team believing in the direction he's taking. At Derby county there is currently none of that and there hasn't been all season. Players look devoid of confidence and completely directionless, in no small part down to flawed tactics that don't play to their strengths (not because they are set up 442 it goes deeper than that).

As we've seen these players play some sublime football and have regularly been challenging for promotion, I think the only conclusion we can draw is the problem is the one thing that has changed in the Manager. 

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you don't understand the human mind and mental performance then.

Doing a good job is different to doing a competitive job. If your job was to constantly do better than someone else doing the same job, whilst also trying to stop them doing a better job than you and they were trying to stop YOU doing a good job, you'd think very differently.

By the very nature of your ignorant thoughts, by definition, a footballer is doing his job by turning up to training and playing.

What you are ignoring is that you are asking for them to EXCEL at their job, not just perform it, and that is where the motivation and confidence comes into things. When the mood is good, and the confidence is high, it's easier to excel.

ok i take that on board, my job isn't against anybody and there is nobody trying to stop me doing it.

if i was competing against someone and it appeared with 30 mins left of work i wasnt going to win, my head would drop yeah and id probably throw the towel in

however that being the case it makes Saturday even more baffling, if it actually turned out that with 20 mins of work left id just taken the lead, motivation levels to stay there would be high

you often blame fans for making the players edgy, but straight after taking the lead fans were behind them. what brought on that 5 mins of self destruction? 

Burton away. Is Clough a better motivator than Pearson? Were the Derby players not self motivated to not be shown up on Sky?

I don't know the answers, and maybe no confidence is coming across as no effort but somethings not right with the players and it cant all be Pearson's fault

Radio Derby is harmless enough and I think OB is pretty good at his job.

As has already been mentioned the problem they have is that they try to reason with some emotionally charged fans, that Jamie bloke being one of many examples who say a lot without actually saying anything.

He was right about CR interrupting callers though.

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Some very fair points there but there is some stuff I'd like to add.

Taking yourself as the example, would you be motivated to do your job if your were being asked by your manager to a do job you're not comfortable doing (from a skill perspective) and you had serious doubts over what direction (if any) the manager was taking ? 

Your right a surgeon doesn't need someone behind them motivating them, but they might well need someone there after they've lost several patients in a day through no fault of their own where they might be full of self-doubt.

Perhaps motivation is not quite the right though. A footballer's performance is highly driven by confidence. Confidence in football can from a multitude of things, performing well, winning and a belief in the manager's direction. If this isn't happening it's down to Manager to inspire confidence and get the team believing in the direction he's taking. At Derby county there is currently none of that and there hasn't been all season. Players look devoid of confidence and completely directionless, in no small part down to flawed tactics that don't play to their strengths (not because they are set up 442 it goes deeper than that).

As we've seen these players play some sublime football and have regularly been challenging for promotion, I think the only conclusion we can draw is the problem is the one thing that has changed in the Manager. 

agree with all but these parts

the same players went from winning games under clement to then looking deviod of confidence and directionless, you say that can come from not believing in the managers direction, surely they bought into Clement and his ways when they were top and winning games?

Im not saying Pearson isn't a problem, he might be, but these players have shown the same issues under 2 other managers. (this however is the worst case of it so far)

1 minute ago, DerbyRevolution said:

agree with all but these parts

the same players went from winning games under clement to then looking deviod of confidence and directionless, you say that can come from not believing in the managers direction, surely they bought into Clement and his ways when they were top and winning games?

Im not saying Pearson isn't a problem, he might be, but these players have shown the same issues under 2 other managers. (this however is the worst case of it so far)

That's fair enough and perhaps we need to have some movement in terms of personal. However you could argue that it was Clement's tinkering of a winning team and  formation starting at Leeds(A) combined a bad run of results unsettled the squad there. That to one side it's only ever been this drastic for this length of time under Pearson, and I feel his position is untenable.  

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's fair enough and perhaps we need to have some movement in terms of personal. However you could argue that it was Clement's tinkering of a winning team and  formation starting at Leeds(A) combined a bad run of results unsettled the squad there. That to one side it's only ever been this drastic for this length of time under Pearson, and I feel his position is untenable.  

Cant argue with Clement taking the blame at Leeds, don't know why he dropped Martin. If we'd won at Leeds we might have had a bit more of a go at Boro a few days later and results and history may have been different. 

RD have never coped well with criticism; remember going back years and how mardy Richards and Gibson got when people used to accuse them of negativity (they were). Whether it is actually true or not, RD have often given me the impression that they are happier when we are struggling. This might be because they get more content out of a struggling side than they do a successful one (the moan-in a ghost town after a good performance but the phone rings off the hook after a shocker). They would never admit to this and I accept my perception may not be the same as everybody else's.

As for the current team, I think Owen does an excellent job. I particularly like the way he tries to play devils advocate on some of the more nonsensical comments that come in... Just wish he could filter out some of the less 'reasoned' comments (that's not saying no negativity, just not the anger fuelled unsubstantiated drivel some people come up with). 

Ramage can offer some decent insights but he can also irritate, but probably the best pundit in a while.

Dawes, I'm afraid, I cannot stand. He is a B-stand wristslasher who is trying very hard to be Alan Green (which is nobody to aspire to). Cut out th bantz, cut out your attempts at analysis, tell me who has passed to whom and shut up.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

It's a BBC local radio station. They  report things with a local eye but they're meant to be impartial. Although, to be fair, those who can't seem to grasp this aren't as bad as those complaining that RD didn't allow a potentially libellous phone call to happen live on air. 

Anyone who criticises them so harshly hasn't listened to much local radio. Radio Derby is above average.

Owen Bradley, for example, receives a fair few negative comments on here and on Twitter (and some of it really does scrape the barrel) but he recently won a young journalism award. Can't be that bad can he?

The commentary is far from world class but it's a radio station which broadcasts to effectively half an English county. What do you expect?

Owen Bradley does a good job I reckon. Quite like him. Just wish he didn't talk ******** on Twitter :lol:

7 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Cant argue with Clement taking the blame at Leeds, don't know why he dropped Martin. If we'd won at Leeds we might have had a bit more of a go at Boro a few days later and results and history may have been different. 

I think what Clement was trying to do was rotate the players for the 'easier' game, expecting the side he named against leeds to be more than capable of winning, leaving his best players fitter for the 'harder' game. And if we were Real Madrid and this was la liga that probably would have worked. Unfortunately the margin between sides is much smaller in the championship and our '2nd string' aren't a great deal better than the combination. 

What he should have done is gone all out for the win at leeds and then rotated only if absolutely necessary at Middlesbrough.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

I must say,

I miss players like Robbie Savage, 

I think he showed more passion for this club than any of the players have in all the league games this season.

Top bloke he was.

now I know you're a WUM. 

Passion is meaningless when you cannot influence a game.

35 minutes ago, LazloW said:

RD have never coped well with criticism; remember going back years and how mardy Richards and Gibson got when people used to accuse them of negativity (they were). Whether it is actually true or not, RD have often given me the impression that they are happier when we are struggling. This might be because they get more content out of a struggling side than they do a successful one (the moan-in a ghost town after a good performance but the phone rings off the hook after a shocker). They would never admit to this and I accept my perception may not be the same as everybody else's.

As for the current team, I think Owen does an excellent job. I particularly like the way he tries to play devils advocate on some of the more nonsensical comments that come in... Just wish he could filter out some of the less 'reasoned' comments (that's not saying no negativity, just not the anger fuelled unsubstantiated drivel some people come up with). 

Ramage can offer some decent insights but he can also irritate, but probably the best pundit in a while.

Dawes, I'm afraid, I cannot stand. He is a B-stand wristslasher who is trying very hard to be Alan Green (which is nobody to aspire to). Cut out th bantz, cut out your attempts at analysis, tell me who has passed to whom and shut up.

This is spot on. 

Dawes really did my nut in on saturday. I was driving back from the game and listening to the last few minutes and he was talking about his garden. I like how comfortable and funny RD are because if you've ever heard Radio Nottingham then you'd realise we are lucky to have this team. But when it has been a ***** performance, the last thing we want to be hearing is about Dawes' sunflower garden.

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

now I know you're a WUM. 

Passion is meaningless when you cannot influence a game.

You're not understanding my point, 

Players like Savage gave their all every game. 

Certain individuals in this group do not have the passion for the club so they don't care if they play good or bad.

This means you have players who just turn up for the pay packet and may win the odd game if they can be arsed. 

Archived