Radio Derby Support

DerbyRevolution

The argument between fan Jamie and Craig Rammage on Saturday brought memories flooding back of the Robbie Savage v Colin Gibson rant

Robbie, despite putting it across badly, had some very valid points

Was fan Jamie correct on Saturday? He basically called out Craig Rammage for not defending Pearson when fans call for his head. Should he? 

Should your local radio be happy clappers? Savage certainly doesnt think Radio Derby fall under that category ...''ive never known a local radio station wanting a club to fail as much in my life. Phone ins...all people do is phone in to nail the team and staff'' i guess this falls under fan support as well

Listening to the Savage interview again i cant work out my emotions...have we come a long way from the days of losing 4-1 to Ssausagehorpe, 7 of the previous 10 seasons in relegation battles. Or are we heading right back to that point under Pearson?

Here's hoping for a performance and 3 points tonight to alleviate some pressure all round.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04705dj (fan Jamie's rant after Blackburn at 29min 55 seconds if you haven't heard it)

savage v gibson 2008/09 if you haven't heard it

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think local radio should be happy clappers but equally they have to retain a balanced view and not get in to a fan rant "sack em all" frame of mind.

individual commentators can have a view of course but for want of a better word the "editorial" needs to be studied, intelligentt and balanced. 

Part of reporting what happens includes reporting the different prevailing opinions ( that's opinions plural )

I often catch Ramage contradict himself. He agrees with opposite points of view. In that respect Jamie was right. But then if presenters feel that a caller has a point then they should say so. I think they do a better job of squashing the wrist slashing, better than Richards and Hall used to do, they were depressing. 

As Andy suggests BBC presenters now are governed by so many rules that they're positively not allowed to take a view on anything.  Whether that makes for a better or worse BBC is a matter of opinion but if people think that Radio Derby is poor then they ought to listen to other local radio - BBC and otherwise - and compare.  Because there are a lot worse.

The problem for me is not the BBC but the guy they have as pundit who is not governed by quite the same rules.  He's paid to have a view, which may fall on one side or another.  And the trouble with Ramage is that he's not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to making his arguments.  So he says over and over again that he supports Pearson and doesn't want him to go and then appears to agree with Jim from Normanton that he's the worst manager we've ever had.  If Ramage could up his game then it would be livelier and probably more interesting.  Barker will be good when he retires.

Listening at the time, I didn't quite know what Jamies point was. Craig's obviously not pleased with the performances and results, I don't really know who is, but can see that sacking Pearson now, would be a bit daft. He doesn't have to sit one side of the fence or another,  it's not a case of loving Pearson or hating him. You can agree with bits of someones argument without agreeing with them totally.

Why does it have to be so 'black and white' - life isn't like that. It's usually a dull grey. You don't have to be an I love Pearson or a Pearson out, it's not either or.   Craig doesn't 'run with the fox and hunt with the hounds' as my mum used to say, he's being impartial when people come on, straight after the match, maybe a bit more emotional than they would be a few hours later, hard to do when you're a fan yourself I'm sure. 

7 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

Listening at the time, I didn't quite know what Jamies point was. Craig's obviously not pleased with the performances and results, I don't really know who is, but can see that sacking Pearson now, would be a bit daft. He doesn't have to sit one side of the fence or another,  it's not a case of loving Pearson or hating him. You can agree with bits of someones argument without agreeing with them totally.

Why does it have to be so 'black and white' - life isn't like that. It's usually a dull grey. You don't have to be an I love Pearson or a Pearson out, it's not either or.   Craig doesn't 'run with the fox and hunt with the hounds' as my mum used to say, he's being impartial when people come on, straight after the match, maybe a bit more emotional than they would be a few hours later, hard to do when you're a fan yourself I'm sure. 

Agree here, peoples thoughts and opinions surely sway up and down throughout the week.

Saturday 3pm i was pro Pearson, looking forward to game, supportive. 

Saturday 5pm its hard not be angry and question his appointment.

Everyones calmed down a bit and tonight he's got my support.

The problem with a forum is its where people come to vent frustrations, probably giving an inaccurate overall mood.

My personal opinion at the minute is while Pearson isn't covering himself in any glory, the players are seriously letting the club and fans down. They are professional footballers, all will have played many seasons of 442 and playing for Derby County should be motivation enough. 

Full support ahead, until 9.40pm, who knows what the mood will be like later on...

I think that Jamie must live in a different universe to me. 3 years of failure so we must stick by Pearson? 

I feel sad for him because in my universe Derby has been near the top of the table for the last 3 years. Sadly in my universe Derby can't win and are 3rd from bottom. I guess in Jamie's universe they must be third from top.  

13 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Agree here, peoples thoughts and opinions surely sway up and down throughout the week.

The problem with a forum is its where people come to vent frustrations, probably giving an inaccurate overall mood.

My personal opinion at the minute is while Pearson isn't covering himself in any glory, the players are seriously letting the club and fans down. They are professional footballers, all will have played many seasons of 442 and playing for Derby County should be motivation enough. 

Full support ahead, until 9.40pm, who knows what the mood will be like later on...

Whilst it is correct that the will have all played in a 442 that doesn't mean they will be at their most effective in a 442 also it doesn't help that what they are currently playing is a very poorly thought out 442, with clear tactical issues that can and have been exploited. The motivation bit is patently not true for any club, never mind just Derby, and has always been part of the manager's remit. From what your saying if they can go out and play a 442 and they don't need motivating, why do we even need a manager?

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

I often catch Ramage contradict himself. He agrees with opposite points of view. In that respect Jamie was right. But then if presenters feel that a caller has a point then they should say so. I think they do a better job of squashing the wrist slashing, better than Richards and Hall used to do, they were depressing. 

Quite right Sir. He's full of words but says very little. 

46 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

No some people have a consistent view, which doesn't vacillate because it's based on sound, reasoned logic rather than emotion.  :mellow:

It's a BBC local radio station. They  report things with a local eye but they're meant to be impartial. Although, to be fair, those who can't seem to grasp this aren't as bad as those complaining that RD didn't allow a potentially libellous phone call to happen live on air. 

Anyone who criticises them so harshly hasn't listened to much local radio. Radio Derby is above average.

Owen Bradley, for example, receives a fair few negative comments on here and on Twitter (and some of it really does scrape the barrel) but he recently won a young journalism award. Can't be that bad can he?

The commentary is far from world class but it's a radio station which broadcasts to effectively half an English county. What do you expect?

Archived