Would these same players be any good with another manager

Curtains

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, curtains said:

He has given them all a chance and now he needs to get tough even if it means relegation first .

PS What was that Wiemann throw in  to Carson from the touch line all about ! 

Right update ,the company I work with /for has had first hand conversations with a player that as left .According to him NP has been very supportive of all the players including some who many think may not fit NP's style .

Make of that what you will ,it sounds like he has not been as strict as some of us thought [me included ].

Yep these same players have made it to the top 8 three seasons in a row under different managers, my cat could manage them to a higher position than were in at the moment- these are players that have been promoted before in many cases and have a high pedigree for this division, nothing excuses the manager for the position we find ourselves in

I think it is fair to say that history has shown that these players have been better with every manager they've had than Pearson.

2011/2012 under Clough 12th.

2012/2013 under Clough 10th.

2013/2014 under Clough/McClaren 3rd.

2014/2015 under McClaren 8th.

2015/2016 under Clement/Wassall 5th.

Say what you will about the players, but they have played better for our last four managers than they are now.

This is completely ignoring how well they did at other clubs as well.

Our manager is vastly underperforming with the players he has, no way of getting round it and as manager it is his job to get the best out of these players - something he is either incapable of doing or unwilling to do.

8 hours ago, curtains said:

I doubt it . 

They need to prove themselves with Pearson . 

Let's conduct a scientific experiment and choose a different out of work manager to manage the team every month then compare their results relative to each other and also to Nigel Pearson. Aa a fair sampling rate I suggest at least 20 different managers to make it a fair test. It will probably put the club out of business but at least we'll have the conclusive answer.

13 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I think it is fair to say that history has shown that these players have been better with every manager they've had than Pearson.

2011/2012 under Clough 12th.

2012/2013 under Clough 10th.

2013/2014 under Clough/McClaren 3rd.

2014/2015 under McClaren 8th.

2015/2016 under Clement/Wassall 5th.

Say what you will about the players, but they have played better for our last four managers than they are now.

This is completely ignoring how well they did at other clubs as well.

Our manager is vastly underperforming with the players he has, no way of getting round it and as manager it is his job to get the best out of these players - something he is either incapable of doing or unwilling to do.

100% agree. The answer is yes!

The players we have are a overpaid mixture of misfits,and it will be pain full to make a team that will compete,at a higher level  ,Some step back and look at the big picture,Some throw their dummy out of the pram,Pearson looking at  their strengths,,After 9 matches is more upset than the average fan, this squad needs a shake up.

I  like Pearson he upsets the fainthearted

8 hours ago, curtains said:

I doubt it . 

They need to prove themselves with Pearson . 

WHAT!? 

We've averaged 80 points in the past three campaigns, averaging over 70 goals a season. 

Pro rata, this season, we're looking at 30 points and 15 goals. 

Therefore would these players be better under another manager - absolutely everything suggests they would! 

Whilst I think the answer to the OP is YES, because they did it last season, I also think people forget that this team did not exist when Clough left, or at the end of Mac's first season. Only 3 who started on Saturday played in that season.

That's one reason I get annoyed when people keep saying "we need to get rid of the bottlers from Wembley."

The fact is we already have, and are now in a worse position.

The biggest problem has been poor player recruitment over the last 3 years - no balance, no continual upgrade.

Pearson may well get it right eventually, but can we really change 16 or 18 players ?

Well in answer to the question I suppose it depends on who the manager is, but if they don't want to play for NP and they don't want to play for CP I'm not sure what type of manager they would want to play for. 

As regards recruitment I think it's fairly obvious that last year's additions left us with a bloated squad with very little added in terms of quality and until that's sorted we'll continue to struggle. 

I have heard its Pearson's fault, he's playing players out of position!

So playing a midfielder further back or further forward stops that midfielder being able to pass the ball, stops the midfielder from running into space/channels, stops the midfielder being able to tackle?

No, it does not, it might mean that the midfielder might have to work a bit harder, but come on these are professional footballers.

As any motivator will tell you, you can give the person all the tools required to give that person confidence and do the job better. But unless that person wants to accept those tools and move on - then job of the job of motivator is limited. Once those players cross that white line they are the ones that have to take responsibility upon the field.

Changing the manager might work, there again it might just be a case of the players continuing to under perform.

Confidence is completely shot within the team, might be a good idea of throwing some under 23's into the first team and maybe shake them up a bit, after all we cannot get any worse, can we?

The answer is no. Even the top Managers will not get this team playing due to the way teams build to play against us.

Give them a chance in another side I.E. Hendrick at Burnley given room on the ball to run at defenders etc you'll see there best traits. Unfortunately teams are well drilled against us and we have to pass it side ways and there is not much space to run in to.

Been banging the same drum for a bit now it's showing signs of ware and think it's about to brake! 

57 minutes ago, toddy said:

So playing a midfielder further back or further forward stops that midfielder being able to pass the ball, stops the midfielder from running into space/channels, stops the midfielder being able to tackle?

No, it does not, it might mean that the midfielder might have to work a bit harder, but come on these are professional footballers.

So we're expecting Bryson to make runs into space from sitting between the centre halves into the final third, and then get back in time to stop the inevitable counter attack? You're literally demanding he be in 2 places at once, and then moaning that he's not doing it because he's not working hard enough.

And we're expecting Hughes to make passes when there is absolutely nobody to pass to in the 30 yards between him and the forwards?

36 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

So we're expecting Bryson to make runs into space from sitting between the centre halves into the final third, and then get back in time to stop the inevitable counter attack? You're literally demanding he be in 2 places at once, and then moaning that he's not doing it because he's not working hard enough.

And we're expecting Hughes to make passes when there is absolutely nobody to pass to in the 30 yards between him and the forwards?

Bryson doesn't need to be in 2 places at once, if he and others around him follow there instructions - If we play 4 in midfield or 3 in midfield - I expect a midfielder who is told to support the forward line and to play an attacking midfield role to do that. I expect the holding midfielder to protect the defence when necessary and also expect him to be able to pick out a pass to create play.

I expect forwards to run the channels and create space so they are in a position to collect the pass, I expect the midfielders to be able to pass a ball, I expect the defenders to be able to mark the opposition when necessary, I expect the forwards to convert the chances they get.

What I am expecting too much?

When will those players take responsibility?

Archived