Would these same players be any good with another manager

Curtains

I actually think these players could be good under this manager with a little tweak of formation, I just don't think 4-4-2 fits our players, every single midfielder we have apparently needs to have a holding midfielder sitting behind them because they can't be disciplined enough to do their share of defending.

Maclaren made a comment how he was surprised that certain players couldn't change their game to fit a different formation and its ringing true now the difference is Pearson is saying we're playing this formation and that's it, if you can't play in it youl be moved on for somebody who can. Have we ever had a squad of players previously who could only play one certain way?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Have we ever had a squad of players previously who could only play one certain way?

When have we ever seen such a radically different style of football attempted to be implemented on a team? Could you imagine the Davies team playing any other way? Dave Mackay had to make a fair few signings to get Clough's title winning side playing the way he wanted, I believe. 

17 minutes ago, cannable said:

Under Clement though it was clear in the end that performances weren't as good because of how he was setting the team up. He wanted banks of four and a slow passing game. 

Very true not the football we had enjoyed under SM for sure,but we were consistent for the most part of last season ,biggest critism in hindsight was some of the signings made.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What suprises me is that Pearson has come in and made his decisions on who he plays based on what has happened previously.

So rather than give everyone a fresh start, Ince, Johnson and Martin..he has come in and banished the big earning egos and in my opinion caused a massive rift within the squad.

We have the players to be challenging for automatic promotion, but Pearson doesn't appear to want to utilise them correctly.

How long before we have a manager who realises that Ince is deadly when played behind a striker? Him and Vydra would be lethal.

Not really. I disagree. He's basing it on what he sees. As an outsider coming in who wouldn't be horrified with the way Ince and Martin play? Sulky etc. you can sulk a bit if you're a megastar ballon dors winner otherwise you're dead weight. They've been cast out. Bent and Shackell are in the same boat. I think with Russell Johnson and Blackman it's been end product that has got them in hot water with him not effort. But he's given everyone except the youth players a fair  chance, albeit some he's suffered less than others. Johnson has been the most unfairly handled if you had to choose one.

44 minutes ago, cannable said:

When have we ever seen such a radically different style of football attempted to be implemented on a team? Could you imagine the Davies team playing any other way? Dave Mackay had to make a fair few signings to get Clough's title winning side playing the way he wanted, I believe. 

I bet all of these players have played this formation at some point in their career though, we're talking about 4-4-2 here not some radical new age untested formation, this is arguably the simplest, most basic formation any footballer can play and ours can't do it.

5 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I bet all of these players have played this formation at some point in their career though, we're talking about 4-4-2 here not some radical new age untested formation, this is arguably the simplest, most basic formation any footballer can play and ours can't do it.

Formations and systems are completely different. They would have had different partners alongside them that cover their weaknesses. 

5 hours ago, curtains said:

I doubt it . 

They need to prove themselves with Pearson . 

If you honestly think these players are not capable of performing better than you must have just awoken from a 3 year sleep.

Why not ask a question like 'Is Pearson capable of adapting from 4-4-2' or 'Has Pearson ever proved himself anywhere other than Leicester where he had a team gifted to him on a plate'

6 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What suprises me is that Pearson has come in and made his decisions on who he plays based on what has happened previously.

So rather than give everyone a fresh start, Ince, Johnson and Martin..he has come in and banished the big earning egos and in my opinion caused a massive rift within the squad.

We have the players to be challenging for automatic promotion, but Pearson doesn't appear to want to utilise them correctly.

How long before we have a manager who realises that Ince is deadly when played behind a striker? Him and Vydra would be lethal.

Did u see Ince against Brighton, Villa and Burton?????????????

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you honestly think these players are not capable of performing better than you must have just awoken from a 3 year sleep.

Why not ask a question like 'Is Pearson capable of adapting from 4-4-2' or 'Has Pearson ever proved himself anywhere other than Leicester where he had a team gifted to him on a plate'

Fair point, but at the same time why not ask "when we went 1-0 up on Saturday, why did we make no effort whatsoever to protect our lead, doing the most basic of things in football like remaining tight, pressing the ball, making a challenge and trying to defend our goal?". 25 unchallenged passes Blackburn made for their winning goal. 25 passes. Blackburn.

That comes from the mindset of the players, nothing to do with the coach or manager at all, and for them to behave like that and just accept failure was unforgivable. I was happy to try to defend them before that, but after witnessing that on Saturday its impossible to defend them anymore.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Let these players start showing it then 

A little pride in their own performance would help .

Too many too happy to just pick up hefty wages. 

What about us fans we deserve better.

As for Nigel Pearson he was a Mel Morris and Sam Rush choice and a lot of Derby fans for that matter.

If they sack him then it obvious they chose poorly with all the preparation they did regarding their choice. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

As for Nigel Pearson he was Mel Morris and Sam Rush choice and a lot of Derby fans for that matter. 

Such as?

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

As for Nigel Pearson he was a Mel Morris and Sam Rush choice and a lot of Derby fans for that matter.

If they sack him then it obvious they chose poorly 

Maybe so but Mel was not quick to appoint him as he was available for a long time so maybe he had reservations with this appointment.

Would be a great idea.....NOT? 

Lets go pay out Pearson and then get another manager in for 6 months then sack him!! He needs time he's the right man, but fans make it harder for us to succeed by booing and wanting a new manager every 5 games 

Ian Holloway on Sky EFL goals just said our central defenders need to look at themselves especially Keogh.

Also said Olsson was wrong side of attacker for Blackburns 2nd goal 

Holloway said Keogh and Shackell but it was Pearce .

Keogh was totally out of position  

Archived