time for 'fans' to STOP making demands.

Mostyn6

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think it's now the time for fans to stop making demands and make their choice. Either try and help the situation by being supportive and understanding, or stay away.

Buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to any more than seeing 90minutes football, but since Sam Rush arrived, the club has entertained this notion that it will listen to any and every fan, and in my opinion, this has caused more problems than it's resolved.

I think the club needs to be a little more closed off and professional now. The 'personal' touch has backfired and created a whim for demand and entitlement!

It was only a few years back that fans had little to no influence and say, and literally just knew where they stood, and accepted the situation as-was.

For me, the club needs to wrestle back that stance; "This is what we are doing, this is what you should expect. Please support us, no guarantees".

If I can throw one major criticism at Mel Morris, it's that he appears to have been swayed by reaction/backlash, instead of sticking to his overall conviction, which I understand may make me a hypocrite, considering I criticised him for entering the dressing room. But his overall philosophies should stand if only tweaked a little.

The problem we have now is whatever decision is or has been made can be seen as the wrong one by a section of fans.

So how many of us have made demands directly to the club? Not a lot I suspect. Or are you trying to stifle criticism and opinions on sites such as this? Having a moan (often ridiculous I admit) on here is a little bit different to making demands on the club.

I don't think I'm in the minority in the sense that I turn up for every home game (and a handful of away games) and do my best to support the team (I'll never boo either players or coaching staff). If we do happen to get relegated then I'll still renew my season ticket without hesitation. But, that doesn't mean I can't vent my frustration on forums like this now and then. 

I doubt very much if Mels ownership style is to read these forums and act accordingly. 

The key point Mostyn makes, is your ticket entitles you to watch a football match. 

I think the club is trying and doing a lot of good. 

As my delightful partner has said to me "some of those Derby fans need to take that stick out their as ss"

If you're genuinly more into winning than into Derby County, there are clubs for you. 

Its frustrating for everyone right now but we're not owed any favours. 

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The key point Mostyn makes, is your ticket entitles you to watch a football match. 

As my delightful partner has said to me "some of those Derby fans need to take that stick out their as ss"

If you're genuinly more into winning than into Derby County, there are clubs for you. 

well put.

What I'm struggling to say is that somehow the club has empowered the fans, which in turn has made the fans unrealistic and demanding, expecting more than they will get and a lot sooner than they could ever get it.

The best time in last 15 years was when fans just sat there and let the football happen under McClaren. The minute the club started exploiting the enjoyment and encouraging the fans to somehow think they can contribute (other than financially), the wheels slowly become loose.

We need to somehow be in the exact malaise we was in 2013 with little to no expectation and hardly any pressure on the team.

34 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well put.

What I'm struggling to say is that somehow the club has empowered the fans, which in turn has made the fans unrealistic and demanding, expecting more than they will get and a lot sooner than they could ever get it.

The best time in last 15 years was when fans just sat there and let the football happen under McClaren. The minute the club started exploiting the enjoyment and encouraging the fans to somehow think they can contribute (other than financially), the wheels slowly become loose.

We need to somehow be in the exact malaise we was in 2013 with little to no expectation and hardly any pressure on the team.

This post is so stupid - it ignores what the fans contribute and the fact that the relationship between club and fan may be lifelong ( over fifty years for me and the friends I go to the match with ). To argue that fans were only contributing once invited (e.g. Mel's consultation with the the unrepresentative DCFC forum) is just ignorant. Everytime I buy a season ticket I am committing for a year and the club has the benefit of cash in advance and in our case certainty over support from the bulk of the fans. Most fans don't go to a different team's game each week  but stick with the same club and the relationship is not just for one game.

Completely agree that MacClarens first year was the best in many years yet some define it as failure. Quite why fans quickly turned against him is complex but for some will be linked with his previous work as England manager or even his short time at Forest.  However, rather than blame thosefans who critcise for what has gone wrong, in my view we are paying the price of having a single owner who does what they want without the check of having to get others to agree. There are so many cases where single owners have ruined football clubs. Mel has made mistakes which are his responsibility not the fans!

5 minutes ago, DRBee said:

This post is so stupid - it ignores what the fans contribute and the fact that the relationship between club and fan may be lifelong ( over fifty years for me and the friends I go to the match with ). To argue that fans were only contributing once invited (e.g. Mel's consultation with the the unrepresentative DCFC forum) is just ignorant. Everytime I buy a season ticket I am committing for a year and the club has the benefit of cash in advance and in our case certainty over support from the bulk of the fans. Most fans don't go to a different team's game each week  but stick with the same club and the relationship is not just for one game.

Completely agree that MacClarens first year was the best in many years yet some define it as failure. Quite why fans quickly turned against him is complex but for some will be linked with his previous work as England manager or even his short time at Forest.  However, rather than blame thosefans who critcise for what has gone wrong, in my view we are paying the price of having a single owner who does what they want without the check of having to get others to agree. There are so many cases where single owners have ruined football clubs. Mel has made mistakes which are his responsibility not the fans!

this post is so stupid - it ignores what I am saying completely. When were Derby fans EVER as vocally demanding as they are now?

I am not talking about contributions, ALL clubs have that, ALL clubs need that. not all clubs have what we have right now in regards to fans thinking that they have a say in everything. The club made a mistake in wanting to listen to everyone. They should've just carried on with their gameplan.

You say Mel has made mistakes, which are those? Every decision he has made has been backed by a % of fans, even requested/demanded by fans. Now it's his fault, and yeah, it is. He should've followed his own mind.

Fans are stupid. Never listen to the fans. Unless a fan has clearly grasped what you're trying to do and understands your ideology then you should never ever ever listen to them. 

Even some of the names I've seen fans suggest for replacing Pearson will present us with exactly the same problem. Pulis? Rowett? Exactly the same problem of either of those come in.

Griping,moaning,complaining,praising,exulting boasting has been part of every Derby fans time at the work place or water cooler for ever.Same for every teams supporters.We have opinions and its good to share them with like minded folk or nay sayers.

When things improve on the pitch most opinions will be positive,right now however we have a lot to moan about and if others are offended,dont listen.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

well put.

You should take over running North Korea.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I absolutely agree. The club owes us nothing and I genuinely think they are trying their best but we're having a difficult time.

However, I reckon my ticket also entitles me to share my views/frustrations/suggestions with other fans. Whether that is around the drinks machine at work or on a forum like this is irrelevant - I am not making a demand of the club. If the owners or management are foolish enough (I really don't they are) to run the club and make decisions based on comments on this site then we have a serious problem.

Finally, regarding your partners comments, I have said several times that Derby fans are not unique. I bet if you went on a forum of any club having a difficult time like we are you'd see something similar. 

Archived