time for 'fans' to STOP making demands.

Mostyn6

I think it's now the time for fans to stop making demands and make their choice. Either try and help the situation by being supportive and understanding, or stay away.

Buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to any more than seeing 90minutes football, but since Sam Rush arrived, the club has entertained this notion that it will listen to any and every fan, and in my opinion, this has caused more problems than it's resolved.

I think the club needs to be a little more closed off and professional now. The 'personal' touch has backfired and created a whim for demand and entitlement!

It was only a few years back that fans had little to no influence and say, and literally just knew where they stood, and accepted the situation as-was.

For me, the club needs to wrestle back that stance; "This is what we are doing, this is what you should expect. Please support us, no guarantees".

If I can throw one major criticism at Mel Morris, it's that he appears to have been swayed by reaction/backlash, instead of sticking to his overall conviction, which I understand may make me a hypocrite, considering I criticised him for entering the dressing room. But his overall philosophies should stand if only tweaked a little.

The problem we have now is whatever decision is or has been made can be seen as the wrong one by a section of fans.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mostyn6 you and I are usually on the same page when it comes to the subject of support. 

However, I think this is completely wrong! DCFC are a local club, the vast majority of fans are close to the city. As a result, it should be an open, communicative club that listens to its supporters and engages with them, it creates a closer bond.

The worst thing they could do right now is shut off completely imo.

As for support in the stands, I think we can agree that our fan base have to have something on the pitch to get behind. At the moment there is nothing, no wins, no goals, no flowing passing, not even any crunching tackles. There has to be something to support!!

Just my thoughts anyway.

1 minute ago, The 1884 Group said:

However, I think this is completely wrong! DCFC are a local club, the vast majority of fans are close to the city. As a result, it should be an open, communicative club that listens to its supporters and engages with them, it creates a closer bond.

this can NEVER be achieved when there is such a wide range of opinion.

Having opinions is fine and what we do ultimately it is always the powers that be that make decisions and if we didn't have 220000 season ticket holders in the ground currently there would be far more empty seats every week and decisions would be promptly made.

What a bizarre approach to a very simple problem. Is it easier to get every single Derby fan in the world to stop offering their opinion or would it maybe be easier to get the one person in charge of the club to stop listening to them?

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

another post you cannot read. I am blaming the club for pandering to the fans! 

Erm...

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think it's now the time for fans to stop making demands and make their choice. Either try and help the situation by being supportive and understanding, or stay away.

Have to agree with 1884 on some points although interesting post Mostyn and you make some valid points. Personally though if a club stops listening to it's fans and cuts lines of engagement then it's not a positive profitable move IMO. Not to mention I find it ignorant and arrogant.

I do think that on footballing matters fans can get too intense and like someone else said on another thread, fans are fickle. We could have brought in Mourinho and if he'd started like Pearson some would be questioning the board / manager and all that so it's a difficult challenge to please everyone and an impossible one too.

Off the pitch, if a fan has a valid complaint about something that can be rectified then I expect the club to do so and they have done so with me so I can't complain. My main complaints about the small clubs I used to watch wasn't the shocking quality of the players and the football, i'm used to that but the total lack of action and interest when a valid complaint is made. Whether that be about disabled facilities, toilet facilities, ticketing, catering or whatever. Nothing would ever be listened to and nothing would ever get done and improve.

When you are paying good money week in week out and the football is dire for years on end then not great but I've dealt with it. Football is a game and nothing can be predicted. When you have complaints, often serious, and even offer help and solutions and nobody at the club even cares then it's time to call it a day. Football is also a business and it needs to keep open those avenues of communication to engage with and listen to supporters with concerns.

Derby have done that with me thus far and although you could argue that a fan could feel more connected to a tiny club with only a few thousand supporters than one with 30,000 where you could just be treated as a number, I feel more valued and respected as an individual supporter here than I have in the last 20 years of watching at other smaller clubs where the gulf in the fan / club divide is just too big to ever be bridged without a thorough root and branch strip down of the whole organisation.  

The club itself will tell you that they want to be an integral part of the local community - that invalidates your argument that "Buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to any more than seeing 90minutes football" - a lot of us have been watching the club for many more years than any of the current staff/owners/custodians have been involved - we have invested our time and money in supporting the club and we care about what happens on and off the pitch - if we didn't care, the club would wither and die. When we see ineptitude from players and management, we pass comment - as we have every right to do - so please don't suggest/request/insist that we stop the dissent when we see things going wrong - it goes with the territory of being a supporter....

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

there is no blame attached to fans. SO it is out of context.

40 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

No blame attached to the fans, yet you feel it is necessary to propose an ultimatum that fans should stay away unless they agree to your terms.

41 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If I can throw one major criticism at Mel Morris, it's that he appears to have been swayed by reaction/backlash, instead of sticking to his overall conviction, which I understand may make me a hypocrite, considering I criticised him for entering the dressing room. But his overall philosophies should stand if only tweaked a little.

Again, if no blame is being leveled at the fans, why would this make you a hypocrite? You simply offered an opinion.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

another post you cannot read. I am blaming the club for pandering to the fans! 

good post to have a good team you need good fans who get behind their team as i think most fans do except the few who expect instant success and think they know how to run things better than the proffessionals i think you are right about the club listening in the past thats why we have sacked so many good manegers in a short time. we all are entitled to our opinion of course  

My local team Spalding United are currently top of the NPL First Division South their highest position ever in non- league football.  Young enthusiastic manager, unbeaten all season, 18 goals in 8 games, attacking football, admission price plus a programme and a bottle of Guinness all for a tenner!

The team I've supported since being a kid Derby County are currently in the relegation zone, have a manager who depresses me every time I watch a post match interview, have won one league game all season, scored 3 goals in 9 games, team "paralysed by fear" and all for a seventy quid round trip!

Your "buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to any more than seeing 90 minutes football" logic suggests that on the 15th October watching the Tulips play Leek Town seems better value and much more entertaining than watching the Rams play Leeds United.

"Either try and help the situation by being supportive and understanding, or stay away."....................no thanks, I'll be at the Ipro on the 15th! 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Having opinions is fine and what we do ultimately it is always the powers that be that make decisions and if we didn't have 220000 season ticket holders in the ground currently there would be far more empty seats every week and decisions would be promptly made.

If we had 220000 season ticket holders we would need a bigger stadium and would be competing with the best.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to any more than seeing 90minutes football, but since Sam Rush arrived, the club has entertained this notion that it will listen to any and every fan, and in my opinion, this has caused more problems than it's resolved.

I think the club needs to be a little more closed off and professional now. The 'personal' touch has backfired and created a whim for demand and entitlement!

It was only a few years back that fans had little to no influence and say, and literally just knew where they stood, and accepted the situation as-was.

For me, the club needs to wrestle back that stance; "This is what we are doing, this is what you should expect. Please support us, no guarantees".

The problem we have now is whatever decision is or has been made can be seen as the wrong one by a section of fans.

Mel Morris needs to ignore the fans and let Pearson get on with it not that I'm suggesting he isn't .

Relegation and start again is better than this situation. 

Archived