Identity Crisis

Derbados

I've just been watching Southampton put three past West Ham, hard to believe that not so long ago Southampton were languishing in League 1.

What they did after relegation was restructure and establish a brilliant working model at the club, they created a set way of doing things, not to be deviated from, the Manager and player fits the system, not the other way round. Some of the Mangers they have found are quite frankly astonishing, pochetino, Koeman and now Puel who has 4 wins on the bounce and looks to have transitioned into the role seamlessly, like those before him. At one point they were managerless but were still bringing in players like Shane Long, the club sill had a brain.  

Mel had tried to follow a similar model and initially I was very excited and pleased by the prospect, he had set a way of playing, had given the club an identity and a model not to be deviated from, it was wonderful. . . 

But then the worst thing happened, like the players Mel bottled it when it mattered most, he panicked. A couple of managerial issues and quite frankly, appauling recruitment decisions  made after significant investment, everybody convinced a better squad could have been assembled for half the money spent.

We now find ourselves completely off the tracks, an express train heading for the premier league that needed some minor maintenance to get it there now finds itself totally derailed and in disrepair. The model is forgotten, the panic button well and truly pressed. 

So how do we fix the train and get it back on the rails? simple, go back to the things that made it run in the first place, even if that means we have to expect long delays in the meantime. 

Come on Mel, stay strong, re find that model and stick to it, give us our identity back

you'll get us there eventually. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Derbados said:

So how do we fix the train and get it back on the rails? simple, go back to the things that made it run in the first place, even if that means we have to expect long delays in the meantime. 

Come on Mel, stay strong, re find that model and stick to it, give us our identity back

you'll get us there eventually. 

Not sure what you're asking for here, is Pearson now the one setting the agenda for the Club?

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

It also gives the youth teams a model to follow and allows an easier transition from youth football to first team football. Think Swansea. Think how they play football. This is their youth team.

32 pass team goal?! ROFL dream on, that ain't never happening on Pearsons watch!

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

who has pressed a panic button? Define how it has been pressed.

Mel has pressed it, 100%

He has totally deviated from the structure he put in place and swore he would stick by. The Head coach title whereby he individual coaches and develops the team following the structure and ethos dictated by the club has completely been removed. 

We now have a manager, who is in total control of the footballing side of things, formation, style of play etc. Nigel has said himself he likes to change every aspect of a club, just as he did at Leicester. 

That is a complete turnaround by Mel and the club of a structure and process that almost got us there, it just needed tinkering not blowing up! 

we we now find ourselves in the relegation zone having scored twice at home all season. Early days yet but I think it was a panicked decision and one that will bite us on the arse. 

Although i will say that I was 100% for Pearson coming in, it's just that I thought he would be given the same model to follow as the others, not completely destroy it.

36 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Mel has pressed it, 100%

He has totally deviated from the structure he put in place and swore he would stick by. The Head coach title whereby he individual coaches and develops the team following the structure and ethos dictated by the club has completely been removed. 

We now have a manager, who is in total control of the footballing side of things, formation, style of play etc. Nigel has said himself he likes to change every aspect of a club, just as he did at Leicester. 

That is a complete turnaround by Mel and the club of a structure and process that almost got us there, it just needed tinkering not blowing up! 

we we now find ourselves in the relegation zone having scored twice at home all season. Early days yet but I think it was a panicked decision and one that will bite us on the arse. 

Although i will say that I was 100% for Pearson coming in, it's just that I thought he would be given the same model to follow as the others, not completely destroy it.

The trouble is, Mel has been too keen to try to be 'Mr Popular' and do the fans' bidding. However, he failed to realise one important factor.

Fans are idiots, and we will change our collective gestalt (that's another word for you, @satty atwal) mind at the drop of a sausage.

36 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Mel has pressed it, 100%

Do you think that Pearson is not the head coach in all but name? Who signs the u23 players? Who picks the u23 players? He has control over first team matters and that's it

8 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

Do you think that Pearson is not the head coach in all but name? Who signs the u23 players? Who picks the u23 players? He has control over first team matters and that's it

He appoints the recruitment staff and I believe has people coaching for him. He's a glorified director of football who picks the team and a direct influence on what's being coached. 

46 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Mel has pressed it, 100%

what structure? Nothing was set in stone. It is only a year ago since we heard the Derby Way soundbyte, in which we become a laughing stock, and then when sacking Clement, was mocked by the footballing world. Many on here, and I cannot be arsed to dig back to see if you were amongst them, rejected the Derby Way without prejudice and demanded a manager of the Moyes/Pearson mold was employed.

However, just as the title Pearson has been given is slightly different to that Clement had, do not assume he has any more responsibility than Clement had. Clement got to pick teams, transfers, formations, tactics, style of play etc, so don't kid yourself that anything has truly changed in terms of structure.

The panic button is being pressed by anyone worrying about the relegation zone right now. If football has taught us anything it's that those that panic early on are the ones that end up in trouble. So as a fan, I'd hope Derby fans just relax a little bit.

What you think is a 'panicked' decision, employing Pearson, makes me sick to the stomach considering the amount of fans who treated Wassall disgracefully, slated Mel for breakfast-gate stuff and then DEMANDED a proper manager, was Mel doing what he thought was the right thing.

Damned if he does, Damned if he doesn't. Whichever way he went, Mel was on a hiding to nothing,

31 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

The panic button was pressed when Mel threw the Derby way clean out the window to try to adopt 'the Leicester way'

Who says he did?

16 minutes ago, eddie said:

The trouble is, Mel has been too keen to try to be 'Mr Popular' and do the fans' bidding. However, he failed to realise one important factor.

Fans are idiots, and we will change our collective gestalt (that's another word for you, @satty atwal) mind at the drop of a sausage.

Ffs ges what? My battery is low and only logged on here.... not enough battery to Google your new eddies dictionary word ffs 

Just now, satty atwal said:

Ffs ges what? My battery is low and only logged on here.... not enough battery to Google your new eddies dictionary word ffs 

Collective hive mind, Satty.

A bit like the Borg in Star Trek - we've all been assimilated.

(Assimilated - absorbed, digested)

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Who says he did?

Pretty sure when a chairman interviews potential managers the managers outline their strategies and plans for the club. You can't tell me Pearson kept the 442 a secret from Mel the whole time and sprung it on him first game of the season?...... SURPRISE!

Archived