WTF was that yesterday?

rynny

Do agree about the subs just standing and watching it though 1884. IMO this was unacceptable and unprofessional and maybe indicates why they are subs. Poor focus and application. They are in a work scenario and presumably were given instructions to go out and do some ball work and warming up and not stop and admire some bloke in a fish suit chasing people around on the pitch. I accept this may sound harsh but we need everyone to a man to be professional and focussed at all times on a matchday.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

Really hated it. Found it symptomatic of everything that concerns me at the club. More concerned with commercial partnerships and corporate success than understanding the disconnect between the fans, team and club at the moment.

When mackerel Jordan was doing his bit, all of the substitutes just stood and watched. 

Maybe I just had a bit of a sense of humour failure at the time!

So Mel pays for some half time entertainment to try to cheer us up, and you don't appreciate it?

maybe instead he ought contribute to helping your group improve the atmosphere in the ground.

oh wait, 

50 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'm maybe not best placed to comment in reply 1884 and I don't want to come across as I know what exactly has been and is going at behind the scenes at Derby but I have been involved with clubs with a pretty serious and irreversible disconnect with their fanbase and from what I've seen as an outsider Derby may have the odd issue but they are an extremely all round well run club that do listen to what fans want. 

My opinions may alter over time however but it's interesting that people think the club have taken their eyes of the ball.

With clubs the size of Derby and the fanbase they have, like many big clubs, I've always held the impression that the intimate connection between club / fans / community just cannot exist due to the sheer corporate juggernauts that they are. Barnet for example have circa 2000 fans and club / fans / community all have to work together and consider each others needs for it all to succeed.

That's why some of the discord, disharmony and disfunction between some of these lower league clubs and their loyal fanbase is even more difficult to fathom. These clubs NEED these fans yet make so few efforts in keeping them sweet. In fact many do the exact opposite and take every available opportunity it seems to annoy them even more. If you are a club with 2000 fans, how hard can it be to keep them all pretty much ticking along and maintaining the status quo? It's not like they have 30,000.

Big clubs rake in so much revenue that the odd penny here and there doesn't matter. They can afford to pee off a few fans and mug them off as the hit they will take financially will have no impact.

I don't believe Derby do this but have no evidence other than my own personal experiences.

You really need a blog :p ;)

I also think you're reading far too much into a bit of half time entertainment. 

@Boycie Not sure why it needed you having a dig at the group? Just giving an opinion.

@Angry Ram all the confetti in the world couldn't have made sealrena Williams good! 

@Tony Le Mesmer there are some great people working really hard to ensure fan engagement is at the forefront of what dcfc is about. I just miss the days of the pub q&a and sense that club, team and fans were all in it together.

12 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Half time entertainment at many clubs is virtually none existent now and usually consists of someone either drawing raffle tickets out of a plastic bucket on the pitch or someone trying to kick a ball from distance into the back of a nissan or just nothing.

You could argue that as soon as the half time whistle blows 3 quarters of the people in the stadium whip out their 'devices' and its head down at a screen for the duration so no real need for clubs to make the effort with half time entertainment.

Make the effort they did though and great credit to them for that. It was an enjoyable watch (the man eating fish - not Derby v Blackburn?).

More of that please Derby! ??

The lack of it is bemusing. Should start utilizing that 15 minutes and help take the edge off for fans. Instead of just this corporate community projects crap where they invite a group onto the pitch to have their 15 minutes and patting yourselves on the back saying look at how connected we are to the local community. No one cares bar those involved. Need to try and entertain the tens of thousands of us in the stands a bit. 

21 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

The lack of it is bemusing. Should start utilizing that 15 minutes and help take the edge off for fans. Instead of just this corporate community projects crap where they invite a group onto the pitch to have their 15 minutes and patting yourselves on the back saying look at how connected we are to the local community. No one cares bar those involved. Need to try and entertain the tens of thousands of us in the stands a bit. 

That's what the football is supposed to be for. ;)

9 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

I go to watch the football and enjoy/participate in the atmosphere!

Then, presumably, whatever happens at halftime is of no particular importance to your 'match day experience'... If so, why moan about it (or read something into it that wasn't there)? Whatever they did would not intrude into watching the football or participating in the 'atmosphere' (what atmosphere!!?). So who cares? 

40 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Then, presumably, whatever happens at halftime is of no particular importance to your 'match day experience'... If so, why moan about it (or read something into it that wasn't there)? Whatever they did would not intrude into watching the football or participating in the 'atmosphere' (what atmosphere!!?). So who cares? 

What atmosphere indeed!!

Look, I thought it was really well done and I'm sure kids loved it.

I thought the timing was poor, I know I'm in the minority in my opinion, that's fine, its what this forum is all about. 

So you ask who cares, well tbh with everything else going on at dcfc at the moment, I don't. I saw a topic on something I thought was odd, posted my opinion and left it there!

Archived