If NP left who would you like in charge...

BranstonRam

Not keen on getting rid of Pearson this early. He needs at least another couple of transfer windows to bring his own players and weed out the players he doesn't believe are up to the job. However, hypothetically I would try to go for McClaren or the Huddersfield manager. Wouldn't want Wassall back, he can't buy a win for the u23s and before Redknapp came in to babysit him, the majority wanted him out so unless Mel wants to alienate the majority further, I'd stay way clear from Wassall.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not keen on getting rid of Pearson this early. He needs at least another couple of transfer windows to bring his own players and weed out the players he doesn't believe are up to the job. However, hypothetically I would try to go for McClaren or the Huddersfield manager. Wouldn't want Wassall back, he can't buy a win for the u23s and before Redknapp came in to babysit him, the majority wanted him out so unless Mel wants to alienate the majority further, I'd stay way clear from Wassall.

Wouldn't want Pearson, he can't buy a win for the first team! :p

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A couple more transfer windows and we'll be in league 1. This 'weeding' idea is nonsense. He's already spent a significant amount and we've gotten significantly worse. Are you really suggesting he has the time to replace every player in the squad? What happens if we don't win then? 

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Who's the majority - of us forum members? 

Mel deserves all the stick he gets if he bases any decision on our opinions! 

We're at best fickle and by no means unanimous! 

13 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

A couple more transfer windows and we'll be in league 1. This 'weeding' idea is nonsense. He's already spent a significant amount and we've gotten significantly worse. Are you really suggesting he has the time to replace every player in the squad? What happens if we don't win then? 

He's spent money on Anya and Vydra. Anya looks one of our better players and has scored. Vydra looks one of our better players and has scored. His signings have been on the money thus far.

3 hours ago, Cisse said:

How about Pako Ayestaran who is currently in Valencia and might get sacked ? He likes his team playing 433.

Got the sack last Wednesday. Although a poisoned chalice, Valencia were bottom after 3 straight defeats and playing absolute rubbish. Their defence was/is so shaky it appears that they've got 4 Richard Keoghs playing for them. Immediately after sacking him they won their first game. Do we really need an exotic sounding foreign coach/manager, especially one who almost certainly has no idea of the English Championship. I liked it when we played 433. The football was exhilarating. But it's only a system. Any system can be just as exhilarating if the players apply themselves correctly. Be it the manager's fault or the player's that the current system isn't working the system in itself isn't the reason that we're as boring as ?

Chris Hughton would be my first choice, albeit a highly unrealistic and unattainable one. He has a brilliant track record in this division - waltzed to the title with Newcastle and had top six finishes with Birmingham and Brighton - and he was harshly sacked by Newcastle and Norwich when in the Premier League, in my opinion.

He has always struck me as an accomplished coach, he comes across as eloquent, measured and knowledgeable in the media and with his calm, cool and unflustered demeanour, you can see why he endears himself to fans and players alike. 

What impresses me most though is his adaptability. He has been able to walk into clubs in very different situations with very different resources and very different philosophies without being daunted by that. Taking on the jobs at Newcastle and Birmingham when he did, it was brave to do so. Wherever he has been, he has been able to find a modicum of success. 

Sadly with Brighton looking good again this season, I think he'll see out the job there. It's a shame though because if there was one man I'd back to right the ship over time, it would be him. You look at his Brighton side and it's basically a far more polished, far more pragmatic and far more balanced version of what we're trying to achieve under Pearson. 

David Wagner will have turned heads with the job he has done at Huddersfield but if I were him, would I want to give that up? Probably not. He is riding on the crest of a wave, he has the benefit of time and a lack of expectation at Huddersfield. He can manage with freedom and the players are playing with freedom and buying into what he wants and it shows. He is the right profile but if he came here, I just think it would be too much to take on so soon in his very young managerial career. I would say the same about Gary Rowett too.

Those two would round out my top three, but honestly I doubt any of the above would entertain the idea. Another one I'd go for is Michael Laudrup. It's a brave choice, it's an ambitious choice and a choice that would make both the fans and the players sit up. How can you not respect and admire one of the finest footballers of the last 30 years who has proven himself to be an astute manager too? He did an excellent job at Swansea and continued their lovely brand of football. Maybe his track record suggests it would be a gamble but I've seen enough to believe that his appointment would be more in line with Mel's vision and lead to an eventual return to the easy-on-the-eye football we've become accustomed to.

Realistically though, I don't know what Mel's thinking is and whether he'd be brave enough to go after the previously mentioned managers. He can't afford to get another appointment wrong and disillusion and disengage the fans further, so that pressure might be telling.

All in all, if Pearson does get sacked, Steve Bruce would probably be the best we could hope for to come in and steady the ship, provide some short-term relief and get us moving in the right direction in the current circumstances. He's available after all! :lol:

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

He's spent money on Anya and Vydra. Anya looks one of our better players and has scored. Vydra looks one of our better players and has scored. His signings have been on the money thus far.

Looking like one of our best players in our current relegation-bound setup is hardly saying a lot. I don't think anything he's done since coming in has been 'on the money', and it will take more than 1 goal to convince me that they were worth the absurd expense. 

My point was that people are using the fact that he's not had a chance to replace the entire squad yet as some sort of defense for this shambles. Based on what we've seen so far, I don't really trust him to. 

I Personally do not like Pearson as a manager but to be fair he needs time in getting out the players that have not performed over the last couple of seasons and are not doing so now.  I would be bringing in more youngsters from the u23s & u21s at least they will play with more pride and purpose.  Though if he was tobe sacked Powell & Wassall for me to see how they go.

8 hours ago, Papahet said:

Why are people wanting Wassall back? Oh let me guess, he played 433 

I think it's more down to us averaging 1.68 points per game (play off form) over a third of the season with an out of form squad that were dropping like a stone under clement whilst not being experienced or having any promotions under his belt. 

7 hours ago, McLovin said:

The Under 23s have got promoted yet lost most of their best players due to injury/call ups to the first team etc. they are playing some of the best U23 teams in the world... 

Laudrup is without a club to manage & plays some lovely football 

Thing with pearson is he (or his back room staff) did assemble a title winning side in Leicester but where did pearson manage this talented bunch to with his tactics etc? Only just managed to avoid relegation  

23 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Laudrup is without a club to manage & plays some lovely football 

Thing with pearson is he (or his back room staff) did assemble a title winning side in Leicester but where did pearson manage this talented bunch to with his tactics etc? Only just managed to avoid relegation  

Absolutely smashing idea... doubt he would come here however. I would look abroad now and poach someone like watford kept doing continuously.

Archived