If NP left who would you like in charge...

BranstonRam

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Ninos said:

You know it's bad when people are pleading for mclaren or Wassall back. Good grief. Return to us the definition of rank failure to meet objectives. I'm unimpressed by Pearson but the objective he could still meet.

13 hours ago, Ninos said:

We are, I agree. Pearson is failing but he hasn't failed his overall mission ... Yet. We need to see good football and fast. That was my point. 

Do you mean the same McClaren that dug us out of relative obscurity and turned us in promotion contenders playing some great football? The objective when McClaren took over would have been a top half finish, may be push for the play offs. He certainly met and exceeded that objective. Sure the objective the second season would have been promotion but any team who had that many injuries in that short space of time would find it hard. Even putting that aside it was hardly rank failure we were in the hunt for promotion all season and narrowly missed out on the playoffs in a year where it took more points than usual to get a playoff place.

The objective for Wassell, as stated multiple times by Morris was to revert the playstyle back to that which we had under Mac and get players playing with confidence again. The secondary objective was to guide the team to a top 6 finish. Which of these objectives did he fail to meet ?

Contrast that with Pearson, who has categorically stated in interview that the objective is promotion this season and that the playstyle and playing staff would just require tweaking to obtain that objective. He will fail to meet this objective and has made drastic changes to playstyle (and is likely to make massive changes to the squad in january given the chance). 

Don't delude yourself, we are out of the promotion race. We currently sit 10 points of 6th, 9 points of 8th and 7 points of 11th. To exceed the points total from last year we would need to obtain 1.97 points a game from now until the end of the season. Essentially we would need to remain largely unbeaten from now until the end of the season and win around half our remaining games. We still have have to play 4 of the current top 6 sides home and away, with the other 2 in Brighton and Newcastle we are yet to play away. All this from a side that is currently devoid of confidence and plan. A side that has only mustered 3 goals in 9 games. 

Face it, promotion this season is close to impossible and it is the first time since Clough was in charge we have been so thoroughly out of the promotion race.

I genuinely don't know who I would want in to replace Pearson, but I think it's time for Mel to have a serious chat with him.

If I couldn't get a comprehensive out of him to 1) why or how we're considerably worse off this season in comparison to last since he came in and 2) how on earth he intends to turn it round, then I would look to talk about a severance package. 

Ultimately, he needs a target now to achieve.

The next six games, which takes us to roughly a third of the season:
Cardiff (A)
Reading (A)
Leeds (H)
Brentford (H)
Huddersfield (A)
Wednesday (H)

I would say he needs to take us to 20 points - 14 points from his next 18 to keep his job. 60 points was a 12th placed finish last season, 12/13th placed finish the season before that. 

If we pick up less than 9 points from the next six games then he can have absolutely no arguments. 

He's not taken a team that's had to sell over the summer, or has just been promoted from League One, or struggled last season. He has taken over a top six side and had the budget to maneuver how he well pleased. 

I said before the start of the season that anything other than a top six finish is a massive failure. To not finish in the top half is nothing short of an embarrassment... anything below that is unthinkable. I would, therefore, say that 20 points has to be the aim following the end of matchday 15. It would put us on target for a 12th placed finish. 

Not necessarily my number 1 choice, but if Pearson doesn't last the season, surely Wassall has to get the gig full time? At least Wassall would provide some kind of continuity and stability. I was reasonably happy with what he achieved last season and wouldn't have been upset if he'd been given the job, but Pearson is making him look like the brummie Guardiola. What I wouldn't give to see one of Wassall's embarrassingly over-exuberant celebrations because it would at least mean we'd actually won a game.

It's interesting to note a difference between the two. At Wassall's lowest ebb he marched over to the baying fans at Rotherham and fronted up whilst encouraging his players to do the same. Hard nut Pearson skulks down the tunnel before chucking the players under the bus.

38 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

So, you concede this manager can't get them playing football then ?

What I am saying is the players are the ones on the field and they have responsibility over that white line. Changing the manager will not make those players suddenly start to win  games.

Archived