People blaming Mel

TopRam

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has to be accountable he owns the club..he can do what he wants and make any decisions he wants..when he gets them spectacularly wrong (sacking Clement for nothing to do with football and replacing him with an even bigger novice) he is accountable for that..as for Pearson - a lot wanted him and a lot thought he was the best candidate of those available..to me the question is how long does Mel give him? He didn't give Clement an inch...but maybe he remembers that and thinks Pearson in time is the man? who knows...only MM....

reveldevil made a good point earlier about FFP being an issue with getting rid of Pearson, I hadn't thought of that. So that and the possibility of Mel not wanting to come across as trigger happy says to me Pearson will get a stay of execution.

I'd love to ask Mel (in confidence) if he hadn't sacked McClaren and Clement, would Pearson still be here tonight ?

1 minute ago, EastHertsRam said:

reveldevil made a good point earlier about FFP being an issue with getting rid of Pearson, I hadn't thought of that. So that and the possibility of Mel not wanting to come across as trigger happy says to me Pearson will get a stay of execution.

I'd love to ask Mel (in confidence) if he hadn't sacked McClaren and Clement, would Pearson still be here tonight ?

FFP will be a much bigger issue in L1 and a good 5k off ST sales

36 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

What should we blame Mel for?

From all that I read and see he has a vision for the club that would be the envy of many others. He appears to get that his role is ultimately one of stewardship of an institution that influences many thousands of lives.

Compare that to eg the oystons who extract all the cash, Mike ashley who uses nufc as an advertising vehicle for his sportswear business,  or the barons of West ham who want to be local "faces" by cutting all sorts of sharp deals.

Mel may have got some decisions wrong. And I imagine he's seething as he ultimately has to pick up the tab. But to blame him is well wide of the mark in my view.

Compere him sheikh mansour then... Compering him to mike ashley or the oystons isnt really a comparison. Sheikh mansour isnt a city fan but he's done more for them than mel has for derby

we are judging mel on his derby county decisions, he has the clubs intrests at heart, he loves the club he wants the best for the club and we all agree on then but he needs to look at himself. He isnt whiter than white in this 

4 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Don't worry, the parachute payment will sort that out. ;)

Seriously though, I'm not worrying about relegation in September, yeah things are grim currently but surely it can't carry on.

Hope so, I normally am quite a bit of a blind faither, however  this is very trying so far.

14 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Compere him sheikh mansour then... Compering him to mike ashley or the oystons isnt really a comparison. Sheikh mansour isnt a city fan but he's done more for them than mel has for derby

we are judging mel on his derby county decisions, he has the clubs intrests at heart, he loves the club he wants the best for the club and we all agree on then but he needs to look at himself. He isnt whiter than white in this 

"Whiter than white"? That's quite a loaded phrase implying somehow that there is an underhand motive to some of the owners decisions. 

Since you mention him, Mansour has made many mistakes and poured hundreds of millions in to city. Not all of his appointments have been brilliant successes. He also didn't have ffp around for the first few years so any mistakes he could shrug and chuck a load more cash in. So what's your point?

If all you are saying is that not all mels decisions on managers have worked out then that goes without saying. But as they were all well intended then all we're really saying to Mel is that he might want to take a look at his recruitment process? 

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

"Whiter than white"? That's quite a loaded phrase implying somehow that there is an underhand motive to some of the owners decisions. 

Since you mention him, Mansour has made many mistakes and poured hundreds of millions in to city. Not all of his appointments have been brilliant successes. He also didn't have ffp around for the first few years so any mistakes he could shrug and chuck a load more cash in. So what's your point?

If all you are saying is that not all mels decisions on managers have worked out then that goes without saying. But as they were all well intended then all we're really saying to Mel is that he might want to take a look at his recruitment process? 

AGREED... Take a look at mels recruitment process... It has had the best intention but he has got it wrong so he isnt whiter that white and is accountable for the situation we find ourselves in

with regards to masour he has made no mistakes you cant go from having shaun wright Philips to aguero... you have to build your way up with players and managers to take you to the next level but everything off the pitch in the manchester area he has got right 

ps ive had a bottle of jamesons so lets not get too hung upon this much love xx 

9 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

AGREED... Take a look at mels recruitment process... It has had the best intention but he has got it wrong so he isnt whiter that white and is accountable for the situation we find ourselves in

with regards to masour he has made no mistakes you cant go from having shaun wright Philips to aguero... you have to build your way up with players and managers to take you to the next level but everything off the pitch in the manchester area he has got right 

ps ive had a bottle of jamesons so lets not get too hung upon this much love xx 

Respect - I only have a bottle of youngs special :lol:

It's Mel's fault. It's Pearson's fault. It's the players fault. When a club set up as well as Derby allegedly is does this badly, it's not the fault of one person, it's a collective responsibility. Of course, some people bare more responsibility than others, but it is a collective "effort".

This reminds me of when everyone was raking over the ashes of the  Premier League season and was trying to find one scapegoat (generally favouring Davies or Gadsby), as though there was a time machine that they could go back in time with, take out that one person and avoid that whole season ever happening. Even with Alex Ferguson that team would have had a nightmare. Even taking out one of the players and replacing them with Messi that team would have struggled. Even taking out Gadsby and replacing him with a chairman who was interested in the club and not building a shopping centre next to the ground it would have struggled. There are no such things as a singular person being responsible for a club having a nightmare. The situation then is no different to the situation now.

For me personally, I was always extremely perturbed by Morris' decision to sack McClaren. I 100% buy that it was footballing reasons, but it struck me as a short-sighted decision made in reaction to a (very) disappointing end to the season - a decision made by a reactionary supporter, rather than a slightly-deatached, but involved chairman, which is what we need. Morris is ruling with his heart rather than his head - how else can you explain his decision to support Clement's baffling desire to spend   £3m+ on Nick Blackman six months ahead of the guy's contract running out and him being available for free (or wanting to spend £3m + on Blackman at all, but that's a different argument). Morris is making decisions based on emotion rater than common sense and what you have is a return to the bloated, overpaid, ego-driven, underachieving squad that we had in 2008, except this time it's even more expensive - the most expensive squad in the club's history - and it's going to be even harder to make anything resembling money back on a litany of over valued failures. I have disagreed with pretty much every decision Morris has made, and at the time he made it, not with the benefit of hindsight.

• Sacking McClaren - who provided the best football in 20 years and I still don't particularly believe the "Newcastle turned his head!" received wisdom that his detractors quote; mistake.
  • Appointing Clement - a career long No. 2 with no knowledge of second division football or working with lesser ability players and who ran back to Ancelloti with his tail between his legs as soon as he could, as if acknowledging himself that he's not cut out for management; a mistake.
  • Appointed Wassall for no other reason than he'd sacked Clement without any back-up plan; mistake.
  • Appointing Pearson - a flop at Hull, a flop at Southampton, an initial flop at Leceister and a man with a tendency to let the pressure get to him judging by his press conferences; seemingly another mistake. Morris looks like a supporter who bought into the ridiculous "Pearson built this squad, he's amazing" misplaced press rhetoric of Leicester's title win.
  • Various multi-million pound signings of players based on one good season - Bradley Johnson had one good season in a very strong Norwich City side and was suddenly worth £6m? Tom Ince, incredibly talented but an incredibly patchy career suddenly worth £4.5m? And why was so much money spent to cover an injury or too, when that's what the loan market is for? £8m for Vydra who, in his career, only has two season where he has scored over 5 goals? You have to trust your manager and back them of course, but in an era of PPP and being at a club which has just spend 5 years+ of middling awfulness to clear up the last series of poorly thought out transfers, you need to cap prices somewhere.

The Morris era has been, in my opinion, an unmitigated disaster - largely due to his decisions which have by and large been petulant, reactionary and ill-thought out. He seems to have a certain shield about him purely because he's a local boy done good (just as Clough has a shield because of what his Dad did) which blinds certain posters to his deficiencies. 

The club should never have sacked McClaren and  should never have indulged in the ridiculous £30m plus outlay on mostly bad players which it has in the last year.  But despite all this I don't just blame Morris. I blame every single person at the club from Morris down to the tea lady. They are all an absolute joke and responsible for what has been a soul destroying 18 months at the club... soul destroying because, at the end of 2013-14, it actually felt like the club was heading in the right direction for the first time since 1998, but they've worked together to somehow completely flamingo-it up.

As much as I like Mel, I think the current predicament is almost entirely his fault.

He has seemingly abandoned the 'Derby Way', which I thought was an excellent idea and the best route to sustainable premier league football, and instead appointed Pearson.

I believe the appointment of Pearson was a commercial one- the fans wanted him appointed, Mel wanted to sell season tickets. I cannot see a man as intelligent as Mel, and someone who has seen as much football, appointing Pearson for purely football reasons.

10 hours ago, TopRam said:

Right so all the people blaming Mel for this mess and chop and changing a lot in a short period of time....

stevie Mac had his head turned he cost us that season he really did, everyone ess laughing at us for going from 1st to 8th so suddenly, he didn't want to be at Derby all he wanted was Newcastle... He had to go 

in came clement, 5th 5 points of top... He wasn't sacked because of football reasons he was sacked because of something behind the sences surely? Yes during Clements time a lot over paid players came in, BUT all good players at the time and ALL fans wanted to see Mel invest so he did... Didn't see anyone complain when they came in!!!!

Pearson has struggled yes but most fans wanted to see him take over he did and he needs time, he needs a season and a few transfer markers to sort players out and make his own way, clement and wasall both tried to change formations last season and bottled it when it was going well, Pearson will keep with it and sort this mess out and when he does all "Pearson out" people will look pretty stupid. 

Mel isn't to blame neither is Pearson I truly believe it's some players, I'm just worried how they will react to Pearsons comments after the game.

There's also so many times that excuses can cover the slide consistently going in one direction. At some point you have to look past the managers to the boardroom and realise from the moment that Mel took charge that things have been going in one direction, and not a good one. 

Hopefully I'm wrong, but the pattern that's developing is pretty damning. 

11 hours ago, GenBr said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but anyone who wants Mel Morris out should not be allowed access to any device capable of communicating with the outside world.

I expect it from the lunatics on Radio Derby, but I can't believe people in the match thread (Blackburn) have been calling for Morris to leave. Even in my short life the club has had owners so diabolical that the club has almost ceased to exist - (see the three amigos). Anyone calling for Mel - who is a local fan who has paid off our debts and invested heavily in the academy and the squad to leave needs to seriously consider setting up an appointment to get their sanity checked.

Perhaps some of our "fans" need to take a look over at Fawaz or the Oystons if they want an idea of what a bad owner is actually like.

Back in the George Burley playoff season I remember it been fairly obvious that the Amigos were bad news, but plenty (perhaps a majority) on forums at the time were happy to go with it cos we were doing well in the league.

When Hudds was sold more people became concerned but we were still in the hunt for promotion so things were still good. The masses only turned on them the next season as they got rid of Burley and got Brown etc in ie they got angry due to the football.

If Mel was a charlatan, spending money we didn't have and not investing anywhere else except player wages and agent fees, then everyone would love him as long as we were in the top 3.

10 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Blame Mel?

The multi millionaire who lives and breathes derby,pumps millions in and makes it a viable and sustainable enterprise?

The bloke is only doing what he thinks is best for the club and who would of thought that clement and Pearson wouldn't work out..they both had the sure fire credentials.

Para 1 - So how does that qualify him as a good Chairman? How is DCFC a sustainable enterprise in football of all industries?  He lives and breathes Derby County but can still be a poor chairman. Lots of money, yes but how does that make him a good chairman?

Para 2 - Proves my points above. I applauded the Clement call when he came in. Then Morris panics and gets rid.. I rest my case.

The issue with Morris as I see it, is that he is poorly advised. Or does he listen to good advice?

He has NO credentials of being a chairman, good or bad. I might love Lego and have spent loads on it over the years, I might be Danish as well and REALLY love Lego... I might be rolling in money and be in a position where I can buy my dream... BUT can I run Lego and make it a better business?

The is a lot of blind faith with Morris.. I hate blind faith in anything, that is really dangerous.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Para 1 - So how does that qualify him as a good Chairman? How is DCFC a sustainable enterprise in football of all industries?  He lives and breathes Derby County but can still be a poor chairman. Lots of money, yes but how does that make him a good chairman?

Para 2 - Proves my points above. I applauded the Clement call when he came in. Then Morris panics and gets rid.. I rest my case.

The issue with Morris as I see it, is that he is poorly advised. Or does he listen to good advice?

He has NO credentials of being a chairman, good or bad. I might love Lego and have spent loads on it over the years, I might be Danish as well and REALLY love Lego... I might be rolling in money and be in a position where I can buy my dream... BUT can I run Lego and make it a better business?

There I s a lot of blind faith with Morris.. I hate blind faith in anything, that is really dangerous.

Archived