People blaming Mel

TopRam

What really annoys me is I think there were several managers in the summer we could have gone for who have suited us down to the ground but won't come into the **** heap now. Personally I think the only people who could possibly do a good job and would take the role are Mac(but this would require Morris really swallowing his pride) and Wassell (if the fans give him half a chance).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

There's some truth in that, but what I thought would happen was a total clearour of the squad to fit pearsons style, getting rid of the bottlers in the process but instead we just sticked with the same squad which was never going to work- it's pearsons fault he didn't act earlier in the window

Although I wouldn't have wanted that, I agree that's what he needed to do to make this 'system' of his work.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

What really annoys me is I think there were several managers in the summer we could have gone for who have suited us down to the ground but won't come into the **** heap now. Personally I think the only people who could possibly do a good job and would take the role are Mac(but this would require Morris really swallowing his pride) and Wassell (if the fans give him half a chance).

good call m8

I think that the issue is the poor and expensive recruitment from last season, which stemmed directly from Mel's insistence on the 'head coach' model. Without a proper manager to guide things we brought in players haphazardly. That curtailed our activity in the summer, meaning that we had to move on players before we could recruit. It also coincided with huge inflation in player costs, making our relatively average initial budget actually a pittance in real world market.

This might have not been such an issue if Mel had appointed another '433' manager, but he chose Pearson. Pearson (the correct appointment IMO) was always going to need to reshape the squad as he plays 442 and we needed about 6 new players to make it work. We weren't in a position to bring in the required players, so we are left with a miss-match between the squad and the manager. Hopefully Pearson can improve things a little and stop us getting in deep trouble by January and we can bring in the requisite players to actually allow the manager to really show what he can do. 

I don't think changing manager at this stage will achieve anything as they will have to work with the same unbalanced squad - and 433 is not an option without Martin and Thorne. I think that Pearson or any manager coming in will have to get rid of several of our expensive flops and wheel and deal to bring in players that fit with their system. That won't be completed this season, so we've just got to be patient.

Mel should not be criticised for putting his own money in and trying to back the managers, however, he has allowed players to come in on big wages and has clearly paid over the odds.  Whoever advises on transfers has clearly let him down. It scares me to think about the combined weekly wage of Johnson, Blackman, Bent and Ince.  

Mel is in a no win situation if he goes into the dressing room he is disruptive.  If he sits back, he is not interested.  

His big mistake was appointing somebody who clearly wants to rip up the blueprint.  Pearson may have been perceived to be a motivator but it was unbundtantly clear from Pearson's history that the 4-4-2 formation would follow and that does not accord with the 'Derby way' or what Derby have been trying to achieve.    The squad needed a few tweaks (from the formation that had us playing successful football as recently as Hull away in the playoffs!) not wholesale changes.   Pearson does not fit this and his own perception of himself and stubbornness will sadly do for him

26 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but anyone who wants Mel Morris out is mentally unhinged and should not be allowed access to any device capable of communicating with the outside world.

I expect it from the lunatics on Radio Derby, but I can't believe people in the match thread (Blackburn) have been calling for Morris to leave. Even in my short life the club has had owners so diabolical that the club has almost ceased to exist - (see the three amigos). Anyone calling for Mel - who is a local fan who has paid off our debts and invested heavily in the academy and the squad to leave needs to seriously consider setting up an appointment to get their sanity checked.

Perhaps some of our "fans" need to take a look over at Fawaz or the Oystons if they want an idea of what a bad owner is actually like.

Fook this I'm not standing for that.......

mods I had my thread taking down after three minutes for just saying the club is rotten from the top down and all of a sudden this thread pops up......

This post is extremely insensitive to me especially the first paragraph......

Fair enough mods if you've not caught up with the threads as I'd imagine you are busy. But come on, if this first paragraph is allowed so should ANYTHING I post should be allowed..... Anything else will be hypocritical

Thouroughly hacked off with this site at the moment.

Regards Andy Margett

Whilst I welcome someone who is a true ram as owner of the club, and in theory at least the large amounts of money he has invested, the facts are that unfortunately he has so far made a lot of bad decisions. Recruitment of players has been poor. Chopping and changing managers hasn't worked. Having said that, I would probably welcome mcclaren, clement or even wassall back as manager, which would mean of course sacking Pearson. 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Whilst I welcome someone who is a true ram as owner of the club, and in theory at least the large amounts of money he has invested, the facts are that unfortunately he has so far made a lot of bad decisions. Recruitment of players has been poor. Chopping and changing managers hasn't worked. Having said that, I would probably welcome mcclaren, clement or even wassall back as manager, which would mean of course sacking Pearson. 

The bad decisions on recruitment aren't his though, are they?

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

The bad decisions on recruitment aren't his though, are they?

Most of the recruitment decisions before Pearson were made by a recruitment team... Not by mcclaren or clement. And the owner must surely have final say on the transfer fees ... We seemed to overpay for Johnson and butterfield for starters. 

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

Most of the recruitment decisions before Pearson were made by a recruitment team... Not by mcclaren or clement. And the owner must surely have final say on the transfer fees ... We seemed to overpay for Johnson and butterfield for starters. 

Yes, but it's a tough one for a new owner, you don't want to be seen as interfering, but by telling a manager/recruitment team you won't release cash for his/their signings he'd be undermining the managers judgement and interfering.

It was bizarre to sanction last Jan's spending though, when it must have been in his mind Clement was a goner.

7 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Of course they are (managers not players)

•Maclaren sacking bad.

•Clement hiring was worth a shot, had a great reputation, could have been anything.

•Clement sacking made little sense, so bad.

•Wassall hiring, basically an admission he shouldn't have sacked Maclaren.

•Pearson, everyone and his dog wanted him, the only reservations were over his character and conduct, can't recall many saying he wasn't a good manager.

Maybe poor decisions with hindsight, but at the time not many argued against them.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

He was sacked for footballing reasons. Mel and Sam in particular get very angry when this is discussed and rightly so. if they say he was categorically sacked for footballing reasons, then i believe them.

As I have said time and time again, if the stupid lazy rumour which you are talking about (which might i add has been used at least twice before for different personnel at different times in our clubs history) was true. The tabloids would be going on about it for a while... as in the john terry wayne bridge case.

I very much hope there WAS some other private reason that forced Mel's hand on Clement - I've always believed there must have been, if not then we deserve everything we have got since the sacking. 

Only the sacking of NP and the immediate appointment of Steve Bruce can make amends I think. Steve Bruce is such a lovely man. Like a big teddy bear. A bit podgy in a loveable way. 

Archived