Pearson blames the players

Carl Sagan

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

1/3 is utterly furious that the Memsahib is so pissed off at Pearson that she walked out after 75 minutes today, and that has put me in an impossible position, because I stayed to the bitter end. So what do I say when she speaks to me again, possibly asking whether I think more of Derby County than I do of her? *

*No, the answer is not "I think more of Nottingham Forest than I do of you"

In my experience the answer is usually shoes (or not mentioning c.card spending on shoes), having to talk about holidays or suggesting a trip to IKEA (through gritted teeth).

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some players obviously are not as good as we think they are, coupled with plying in a new system, and a manager expecting different things it turns into this mess. 

There were a few players out there today who didn't seem to have any idea about football in general never mind 'being asked to play a different way'. 

Olsons ability to control and pass a ball, never mind move into space and make an overlap. 

Butterfields inability to look forward 90% of the time. Even when collecting the ball in a 'familiar' area he takes an age to decide to pass it backwards. 

Keogh not being able to defend a player with his back to goal. And then insighting panic in all those around him. 

Bent won things in the air, but basic control and movement seem a mystery to him. 

I could go on about more players but it will get me down  

I know the formation isn't working with Huges and Bryson in the middle, and this is down to the manager to sort. 

However, he has asked for the striking players to make quick runs on the back of defenders, they did this repeadedly, especially Vydra and only once, possibly twice all game did any of our defenders or midfielders look for a quick ball over the top. 

It was clear as the game went on that they were not going to play that pass so the strikers started to drop deeper, Christie continued to try and take on 14 players before putting a cross in. 1 out of 10 set pieces or crosses were OK, the rest were dross. 

Anya got very little help so was left to try and take on 2/3 players every time. 

So, yes, manager takes some blame for a formation I don't think helps, but the players need to take a large portion of the blame for not doing simple things even remotely averagely!! 

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

20:20 vision mate.

If your can't see that most of the outfielders don't know what they're supposed to be doing then I suggest you pay SpecSavers a visit.

Wow they play football???!???? If you ever played football as a kid I'm sure you played the modern 4-4-2 it's not hard, they don't want to preform!! Sack him then see who and where we end up its September for god sake 

1 minute ago, JaguarRam said:

Basically if you are saying that the players are not performing for you then you are saying you have lost the dressing room.

Managers who lose the dressing room don't last long usually.

If the players don't take to certain managers and refuse to give them a chance what hope do they have? Stinks of PC mark 2 this. The only common factor through all of this is the players.

Surely the story of the players spitting dummies at gym equipment being removed and our next Ferguson getting the boot tells you all you need to know. 

1 minute ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

In my experience the answer is usually shoes (or not mentioning c.card spending on shoes), having to talk about holidays or suggesting a trip to IKEA (through gritted teeth).

Just spent over £100 on some new boots for her, and I've booked next year's holidays for where she wants to go.

IKEA it is then.

2 minutes ago, TopRam said:

Wow they play football???!???? If you ever played football as a kid I'm sure you played the modern 4-4-2 it's not hard, they don't want to preform!! Sack him then see who and where we end up its September for god sake 

They may have play 442 as kids. I doubt many of them played in the roles then that they are now.

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'm split 3 ways on this.

1/3 is frustrated at the way we are playing, and I don't know whether it is down to stupidity or intransigence, let alone whether said stupidity or intransigence is down to the players or the management..

1/3 is utterly furious that the Memsahib is so pissed off at Pearson that she walked out after 75 minutes today, and that has put me in an impossible position, because I stayed to the bitter end. So what do I say when she speaks to me again, possibly asking whether I think more of Derby County than I do of her? *

1/3 still thinks that a lot of my fellow Derby fans are complete idiots for drumming Clement and Wassall out of the job, but at the moment I'm not sure that drumming Pearson out would not redeem them in my eyes.

*No, the answer is not "I think more of Nottingham Forest than I do of you"

Intra what? 

I said in the SDSR thread on the defence that my own feeling is that the players were gutless today.

When you score your first home goal of the campaign at the end of September, and it gives you the lead, you give every last ounce of everything you have and more to hold onto that lead and win the game and turn the season around. Instead we conceded 30 seconds later and then another a couple of minutes down the line. That's indefensible.

It's even more pathetic than conceding in the last minute of injury time against Bristol City. This is a tough league to get promotion out of. When we were put to the test we caved in and lost 0-3 at home to Hull in the playoffs. When it didn't matter we won 0-2 away in the second leg. But, very tellingly, once we'd scored 2 at Hull we never looked like scoring again.

At the back Rawson deserves a chance. Up front Vernam deserves a chance. Elsnik is always battling to make something happen. Maybe it's time for Callum Guy to step up as a midfield enforcer? If those four make the squad on Tuesday it's a wakeup call to the senior players.

For me, Pearson needs time to bring steel and the mental strength required to DCFC. Sadly it doesn't look like it'll be a pretty or painless transition.

we are now seeing the legacy of last season spending spree for which clement deserves an enormous amount of blame. Lots of money spent on average players some of whom are at the wrong stage of their careers. Johnson Butterfield Bent Blackman Olsson Pearce - add in mr inconsistent Ince, Shackell who is in decline, can we honestly say this squad is top 6?

Pearson is not helping things with his dogmatic approach and by getting rid of two of our best players (although no choice with Hendrick), but this is a mess caused fundamentally by previous mismanagement. It's a very similar situation to Forest a couple of years back and could take a long time to resolve.

i've given up on promotion. I would give Pearson to Christmas and if we're in bottom 3 or around it then get rid as we need to ensure we stay in the league. But if we lose the next 2 games, we'll be cut adrift in the bottom 3 and I think Mel's trigger finger will become itchy again!

1 minute ago, satty atwal said:

Intra what? 

Intransigence: Refusing to compromise - sticking to a position no matter how untenable, just for the hell of it.

Untenable: Not able to be defended.

Defended: What Keogh used to be capable of doing.

4 minutes ago, TopRam said:

What we played today isn't even a well laid out 442.

In a typical 442 you have a back 4 with full backs supporting the midfield, two industrious midfielders: one a ballwinnner, one a playmaker, two hard working wingers, one striker who looks to get in behind, one striker who either is a target man or a 10(i.e. a link up man).

Today we played with two attacking fullbacks, an out of position attacking midfielder on the right, an attacking midfielder and a playmaker in the middle, and both strikers looking to get in behind.

Can you spot the difference?

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

Intransigence: Refusing to compromise - sticking to a position no matter how untenable, just for the hell of it.

Untenable: Not able to be defended.

Defended: What Keogh used to be capable of doing.

Yeah top one mate.... understood next two... anyway.... pearson out out out

The players have to take some responsibility, their performance levels on the pitch is not at a level we know they can play at, Pearson in playing players out of position, and Morris for creating a foreat fan culture that means fans are calling for a  sacking after only 10 games.

I'm going to make an analogy here.

Let's imagine that you're in your job, for arguments sake let's say you're an accountant. You know you're a pretty good accountant, the last few financial years you've regularly posted some pretty good accounts but any promotion positions you've just fallen short at the final interview. You've been in the final two spaces for one of them and the final four for the other one. You've had a few managers over this period of time, they've all had their faults but they let you get on with doing your accounts just fine. Then a new manager gets brought in and he's decided to mix things up a bit. He makes your best colleague who you rely on a little bit to help you redundant, and then he decides that even though you've shown you're alright at accounts, he'll get you cleaning the toilets instead. You're not very good at cleaning the toilets but you give it your best, but then at the end of the day he has a look and says that it's not good enough.

We have to remember that being a footballer is essentially an occupation, and it requires good management. Do we think Pearson is seriously managing this set of players well?

All I keep hearing from us is....

nigels got to go he is to negative,

maclarens got to go his head has been turned,

clements got to he has no idea,

wassal has to go he is a yes man,

pearson has to go he is clueless,

when are we going to start asking more from the players on the pitch ?

football has always been the same for 140 years, it doesn't matter how the manager asks you to do it you ****** !

Put some effort in and look like you want to play for my club !! Yes my club as I will still be supporting it a long time after you have dropped out of the game 

Archived