Lewis Grabban.

Seth's left foot

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If you look at Bournemouth this season, Grabban and Afobe are on the bench every week.

But Grabban is the one that comes off the bench, whilst Afobe doesnt. 

So by that reckoning, if they would sell Grabban then they would sell Afobe. Surely?

Id rather have Afobe all day long. 

**However this is in the Sun. Which is the worst paper on earth and full of *****. 

50 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Selling Martin to buy Grabban might just be at the top of the list of terrible transfers we have done over the last year, and there is plenty of competition.

Surely, surely, this is Nixon rubbish?

*crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs*

44 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Maybe Pearson is also considering the mental attributes too that we're not 100% privilege too. Such as attitude and effort. We're only seeing what happens on the pitch and not behind closed doors

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't mind Grabban, but he wouldn't be my choice.

On the other hand, I think Afobe would be an excellent option; He's proven and he's got everything we're looking for. 

27 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Apparently Assombalonga is unsettled at florest would a quick 10m bid get him ?

I'm with MR & Ambitious that if we can get Afobe he would be fabulous. And there have been occasional whispers that we are after him. Sadly, Grabban is one of those players like Aniechebe who recurrs agai and again so it makes me think our analytics recruitment team love him for some reason.

As for Martin, I've heard he and Pearson don't see eye to eye and when you watch a game like Burton that seems pretty evident. It's rare for a player to come in (on a free transfer!) and bang in 60+ goals playing sumptuous football, but I'm beginning to think that if the Pearson way (whatever that is) is to be implemented we'll have to end up selling Super Chrissy Martin.

For WR, Assombalonga pre-injury yes, but at this stage I think any club would have to be desperate and crazy to pay megabucks for someone who had such a catastrophic injury and has only managed 133 minutes of football this season to date including 90 of those minutes in the opening game. Fridgey would be lynched, but the gumps would actually be wise to sell him while they can get something for him.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think Afobe is quite similar to Vydra?

Explosive pace from the shoulder of the last man (without starting 3 yards offside ahem Bent) where as Grabban is the type of striker who can lead a line, hold the ball up, challenge in the air whilst having pace to press too. 

Afobe isn't bad at holding the ball up either, if memory serves. In fact, it's down as a strength on whoscored for him. 

2 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Maybe he has but have we given him a chance before writing him off? These players have had 3 seasons to get promoted! Some of them need moving on!

I keep seeing this stated as justification for rebuilding the team.

Even if it was as simple as the players not being good enough, the idea was for managers to come in and improve the team. Not rip it apart. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Afobe isn't bad at holding the ball up either, if memory serves. In fact, it's down as a strength on whoscored for him. 

Fair enough. I think Grabban will be a much cheaper option and a player who looks like he needs a move to rejuvenate his career. Could easily bag 20 in this division whilst not losing the ability to hold up the ball either which we miss when Bent plays without Martin. 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

I keep seeing this stated as justification for rebuilding the team.

Even if it was as simple as the players not being good enough, the idea was for managers to come in and improve the team. Not rip it apart. 

How is he ripping it apart? What massive changes has he made. It seems like everyone thinks Chris Martin IS the team! 1 players IS the team??? How is that a good thing?

1 minute ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

How is he ripping it apart? What massive changes has he made. It seems like everyone thinks Chris Martin IS the team! 1 players IS the team??? How is that a good thing?

The whole dynamic of our attack and midfield has changed… for one…

Afobe instead please. Grabban wouldn't be bad but if they're selling a striker we should go for Afobe instead. Whenever I've seen him he's left a much better impression, and for an extra couple million would probably be worth it.

Did he not play just behind Dicko at Wolves too? One played behind the other and they scored for fun. Could create quite a good partnership out of Afobe and Vydra.

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

You're forgetting that exciting football was the best part of three years ago, and all the players have gone through some severe heart ache since then, and so have the fans.

I'm just of the opinion that that era was a bit of a perfect storm... and whilst I still like a lot of the players still here from that period, a fresh start for the player and us could be the best thing for both.

Maybe you're right, I probably am just clinging to 13/14 as a nostalgia kind of thing, but the point remains that over the last few years that's the only time I've ever held any affinity to the players, maybe for some of the season after as well.

4 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Martin didn't score many in the second half of last season with a different manager/coach? Every player has a peak and Martin may have had his!

Good managers get results, period! Pearson has proved he can get results with previous clubs. He didn't come in to Derby and change everything straight away. He's had months to measure the players and certain ones have not hit those requirements.

We should have been moving players on over the last two seasons, but we didn't! So know we've gone a little stale and need to make changes.

I played football because I enjoyed winning! I watch football because I enjoy watching a winning side. If Pearson builds a winning side we'll all enjoy watching them.

To me achieving mid table premier wouldn't be a failure it'd be a massive success. It's the most competitive league in the world! However first we need to build a team that can get us promoted and keep us there!

You're right, he didn't but in my opinion it's still too soon to be selling him. 

I also find this argument that Pearson gets results a little odd. I've seen it from a few people about how he all but guarantees promotion and I've made this same point a few times. He's been promoted from this league once! Imagine if we'd got Owen Coyle in as manager (with the same number of promotions after all), and then not only that, we also have him free reign to do as he pleases with the squad. I think it's a dangerous game we're playing with him, much more dangerous than a lot of people realise.

And your last point is where we differ, aspiring to be a West Brom or a Stoke is not for me. A couple of years ago when we actually had an identity I might have said we could have done something in the Premier League like a Southampton, but I can't see that now. You might say we could do a Leicester but we all know that no one will do that again.

Just now, cannable said:

That dynamic was gone even before Pearson came in!! Last season we wasn't as free scoring as we was the previous two?

You'll find more successful people in the world who recognise the need for change earlier than their competitors. Those who want to sit and hope for change tend don't win.

Alex Ferguson moved players on and kept on winning and kept on playing attractive football! Beckham, Stam, Ronaldo moved on despite being big players in the team. They all went on for more success as did Manchester United! It makes business sense and it helps longevity for the club!

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Pretty decent player, 6 million sounds about a fair price for him but I think there's better players about that would suit what pear sons trying to achieve here for not too much more.

Mummy pear, daddy pear, pear son.

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Maybe you're right, I probably am just clinging to 13/14 as a nostalgia kind of thing, but the point remains that over the last few years that's the only time I've ever held any affinity to the players, maybe for some of the season after as well.

You're right, he didn't but in my opinion it's still too soon to be selling him. 

I also find this argument that Pearson gets results a little odd. I've seen it from a few people about how he all but guarantees promotion and I've made this same point a few times. He's been promoted from this league once! Imagine if we'd got Owen Coyle in as manager (with the same number of promotions after all), and then not only that, we also have him free reign to do as he pleases with the squad. I think it's a dangerous game we're playing with him, much more dangerous than a lot of people realise.

And your last point is where we differ, aspiring to be a West Brom or a Stoke is not for me. A couple of years ago when we actually had an identity I might have said we could have done something in the Premier League like a Southampton, but I can't see that now. You might say we could do a Leicester but we all know that no one will do that again.

Here's some more of his results (that aren't just based around getting promoted)!

He kept Leicester in the prem despite being bottom at Christmas! Any other team done that??

Players such as Vardy, Mahrez, Morgan and Schmeichel to name a few he recognised as good enough to wear the Leicester shirt and have gone on to become great players.

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

But....what we've tried before with 4 different managers has failed to gain us promotion to the top tier so what would you have done differently?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He got them to the bottom of the Prem! :D

That's four more places higher than where we've finished in the last how many seasons? Or are you one of those people who'd rather be a big fish in a small pool then dare risk fighting it out amongst the big boys?

9 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

That's four more places higher than where we've finished in the last how many seasons? Or are you one of those people who'd rather be a big fish in a small pool then dare risk fighting it out amongst the big boys?

Nope. Just suggesting there's more ways of seeing things.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nope. Just suggesting there's more ways of seeing things.

Surely it's about where they finished the season? Rather than the fact they were bottom at some point? Do you not see it that way?

Archived