International Rams

Carl Sagan

8 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Every player gets berated by Derby fans, it doesn't mean they are all of similar quality. Ince also had to contend with having an unfair reputation for not working hard and father who everyone hates.

I think the stats speak for themselves about quality.

Tom Ince: 25 years old - 272 apperences 75 goals. That's a goal every 3.6 games. 

Tom Lawrence: 23 years old - 123 appearences 19 goals. That's a goal every 6.5 games. 

There's nothing wrong with him not being up to the standard of Ince and Hughes. They were outstanding Championship players.

I fail to see the evidence for people suggesting he's up to their standard.

149 appearances to score  56 goals than .

But it’s not all about goals being a winger is it ! 

How many goals did Hughes score. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, curtains said:

You said yourself that Hughes is a different type of player so there's no point comparing them on goals scored. 

It's not is it, but Lawrence isn't really contributing much in terms of assists or penetrative play. 

If you aren't scoring goals you have to contribute in other ways and Lawrence isn't doing that at the moment. Not to say he won't improve though.

15 minutes ago, curtains said:

But he was a superb midfielder....it was clear to see...his movement,passes were in a different league to almost any other championship player I've seen

I've seen tom several times this year in the derby side and he hasn't got near to the visible movement and class of ince or Hughes.

Bit then again,other than perhaps vydra and Nugent occasionally,who has looked particularly impressive this year?

But that's down to our current playing style rather than the players...

Lawrence has a lot more to give than he's currently being allowed to exhibit....if that's doing a disservice to Gary,so be it but he looks a lot better in a Wales shirt.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

But he was a superb midfielder....it was clear to see...his movement,passes were in a different league to almost any other championship player I've seen

I've seen tom several times this year in the derby side and he hasn't got near to the visible movement and class of once or Hughes.

Bit then again,other than perhaps vydra and Nugent occasionally,who has looked particularly impressive this year?

But that's down to our current playing style rather than the players...

Lawrence has a lot more to give than he's currently being allowed to exhibit.

Being allowed to exhibit that’s a bit strong isn’t it. 

I did say Hughes is a different type of player to Tom Lawrence and I’m not having a go at Hughes and I wish him well in his future career in the Premier League as I do Tom Ince. 

I believe FFP dictated why Hughes and Ince left including players ambitions to play at a higher level .

We didn’t get promoted so it was difficult to keep those two but Tom Lawrence is a good addition to our squad and I hope he carries on doing well at the Rams. 

I think Tom Lawrence is going to do well for Gary Rowett. 

9 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

You said yourself that Hughes is a different type of player so there's no point comparing them on goals scored. 

It's not is it, but Lawrence isn't really contributing much in terms of assists or penetrative play. 

If you aren't scoring goals you have to contribute in other ways and Lawrence isn't doing that at the moment. Not to say he won't improve though.

I disagree I think he is a very creative player and as I say he has been unlucky not to score for the Rams so far. 

I am confident Tom Lawrence will be a success at Derby with Gary Rowett.

16 minutes ago, curtains said:

I disagree I think he is a very creative player and as I say he has been unlucky not to score for the Rams so far. 

Unlucky or wasteful? It's a fine line.

We will see. I'm never confident of anything happening at Derby County. I hope he is a success. I would hate for us to have spent £5 million on another player incapable of kicking Johnny Russell out the team.

49 minutes ago, curtains said:

Being allowed to exhibit that’s a bit strong isn’t it. 

I did say Hughes is a different type of player to Tom Lawrence and I’m not having a go at Hughes and I wish him well in his future career in the Premier League as I do Tom Ince. 

I believe FFP dictated why Hughes and Ince left including players ambitions to play at a higher level .

We didn’t get promoted so it was difficult to keep those two but Tom Lawrence is a good addition to our squad and I hope he carries on doing well at the Rams. 

I think Tom Lawrence is going to do well for Gary Rowett. 

I don't know if it curtains......there has been a decrease in creative play alongside the increase in rigidity in defence.

I'm not sure about ffp either.....was it necessary to move them on if we were going for promotion this year or was it just gary believing he needed to clear out the shop to bring his own stock in which would suit his direct style of play better?.....none of this tippy happy nonsense for him!

Either way,Tom Lawrence is a fine player but along side others I'm not sure he fits in to garys way at the moment.

From what I’ve seen of Lawrence I think he’d be best if he were told to stay on the right, skin his full-back and cross. Should they double up on him he should swap wings and cut inside as he seems capable of exploiting the gap between the opposition right-sided players. 

I just don’t think a freeish role suits him. 

4 hours ago, curtains said:

Despite the lack of goals for us so far, I share your optimism about him being a very decent signing. As he showed for Wales he has the ability to change a game, as Ince has done for us in the past. He is miles ahead, for me, of Weimann and Russell

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/alex-pearce-selected-in-provisional-republic-of-ireland-squad

Alex Pearce called up for the ROI squad. Strange one, not a slight on Pearce at all but Keogh is an odd omission when he’s had considerably more game time this season. 

Are you sure there's not been a mistake? Afterall Keogh is involved in this scenario. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived