Nigel Clough has his day in the sun

Curtains

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sage said:

You have quoted someone else in my name!!

anyone fancy forming a sphycophantic clique where we only converse with each other and dont bother trading banter with lesser mortals and call ourselves learned names like the oracle or the know all some really clever people on here bags of brains but no class if this removed i will know its truck home

20 hours ago, barnsley ram said:

anyone fancy forming a sphycophantic clique where we only converse with each other and dont bother trading banter with lesser mortals and call ourselves learned names like the oracle or the know all some really clever people on here bags of brains but no class if this removed i will know its truck home

Struck home I think you meant. ?

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 00:50, EastHertsRam said:

Actuall, Friday night shows Mel has learned and is sticking to his promise not to go into the dressing room with his tuppence worth again because if there was ever a performance that warranted it Friday's was it. 

Exactly.

And I don't know what others thought about Pearson's post-match interview, but I absolutely loved it. I'll be honest: getting up at 4.40am to watch such a non-performance left me as dispirited as I have been since...probably since the capitulation to Reading in the final match of 2014-5.

It looked for all the world like manager and squad were at loggerheads to me; I was wondering if the new calmer Pearson might crack but his analysis was so cold and so brutal and ensured no-one would wonder any longer if the squad had too much power. It may mean this season isn't as promising as it could've been (I hope that's not the case) if the players don't read the tea leaves and get with the program.

Years of being patronised by Burton Rams. You don't spend years on the crumbling terraces of Eton Park watching very non-league football because you are a glory hunter. Who do you support? Burton Albion. Who is you proper team though? *****. Derby Rams have my utmost respect, supporting your local side. Fair play to you and I wish you all well with no malice. I have been waiting all my life for this. Carry on and beat us in January at pride park or whatever it is called these days. We may never play you again. I don't care. You can never take away that feeling. 

On 28/08/2016 at 15:20, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

When Shaun barkers contract was up derby didn't want him around the training ground. 

1 - Why should they? Do you go and lurk around your old workplaces? 

2 - Why would he want to when he wanted to be out trying to earn himself a contract elsewhere?

54 minutes ago, Burtonian said:

Years of being patronised by Burton Rams. You don't spend years on the crumbling terraces of Eton Park watching very non-league football because you are a glory hunter. Who do you support? Burton Albion. Who is you proper team though? *****. Derby Rams have my utmost respect, supporting your local side. Fair play to you and I wish you all well with no malice. I have been waiting all my life for this. Carry on and beat us in January at pride park or whatever it is called these days. We may never play you again. I don't care. You can never take away that feeling. 

Part of me loves your post. It is made up of the stuff that football is all about. Being an Australian, Burton's is the sort of story which appeals to our egalitarian, convicty nature. I've been pleasantly surprised by the generally gracious nature of even the 'outliers' on here; the sort who've called for Nigel Pearson's head already have been complimentary to Burton. 

And listening to some of the Burton fans interviewed on the BBC, you're hardly the only one who's high won't be coming down any time soon.

Good luck to you mate. If your boys can keep up that level of spirit and organisation, ours won't be your only scalp at the Pirelli for starters.

As a Derby fan who will always have a sense of gratitude to Nigel for the job he did at Derby, I couldn't help but smile for him and I hope your lot give a good account of yourselves...and stay up...both for Nige and just because it would be such an apt retort to the "little Burton" condescension.

Which brings me to the slight tinge your happy post calls to mind: enjoy every second of the season mate. Revel in every moment. It must be like being a little kid again....but remember the only part of this feeling you'll never get to experience again is because it's the first time...Burton have earned their place in the Championship and they sure as hell earned our scalp.

6 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Part of me loves your post. It is made up of the stuff that football is all about. Being an Australian, Burton's is the sort of story which appeals to our egalitarian, convicty nature. I've been pleasantly surprised by the generally gracious nature of even the 'outliers' on here; the sort who've called for Nigel Pearson's head already have been complimentary to Burton. 

And listening to some of the Burton fans interviewed on the BBC, you're hardly the only one who's high won't be coming down any time soon.

Good luck to you mate. If your boys can keep up that level of spirit and organisation, ours won't be your only scalp at the Pirelli for starters.

As a Derby fan who will always have a sense of gratitude to Nigel for the job he did at Derby, I couldn't help but smile for him and I hope your lot give a good account of yourselves...and stay up...both for Nige and just because it would be such an apt retort to the "little Burton" condescension.

Which brings me to the slight tinge your happy post calls to mind: enjoy every second of the season mate. Revel in every moment. It must be like being a little kid again....but remember the only part of this feeling you'll never get to experience again is because it's the first time...Burton have earned their place in the Championship and they sure as hell earned our scalp.

Apart from when they "sneak up" through the play offs this year with Super Jamie Ward getting the winner at Wembley v JFH's millionaires at QPR :-)

They they'll get to experience that first all over again but in the Premier League.

Then there's the champions league in 3 years to look forward to.

31 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Apart from when they "sneak up" through the play offs this year with Super Jamie Ward getting the winner at Wembley v JFH's millionaires at QPR :-)

They they'll get to experience that first all over again but in the Premier League.

The premier league would admit them at their ground. They'd need to share with a local club with a large enough stadium

On 1 September 2016 at 17:22, ronnieronalde said:

Wouldn't it be something to see United and Liverpool be offered 500 seats to the Pirelli?

But, come to think of it, if Burton beat us to the Premiership, I doubt I'll be laughing that much at it.

• 1 month later...
On 28 August 2016 at 10:07, curtains said:

Let's see where Burton and Derby finish respectively 

Over the Burton  defeat now .

They caught us in transition 

Onwards and upwards for the Rams .

Morris ,Rush,Pearson and Powell will take Derby to the Premier League. 

So how long are we likely to be caught in transition?

I think we are more Lost in Translation, we have players and folk like Rush and Vickers that now seem more like a pair of strangers in a foreign land, the two find escape, distraction and understanding amidst the no so bright lights of Derby after a chance meeting in the quiet lull of the hotel bar. They form a bond that is as unlikely as it is heartfelt and meaningful.

We had steady progress under Nigel Clough, but unfortunately like the greed and the need for everything now unfortunately that wasn't enough for some Derby fans, and as I stated on here, when he was sacked, that we wouldn't be any further forward within the time we gave Nigel or planed to give Nigel etc other than being millions of pounds worse off, and that Nigel would have gained promotion with a team before we got promoted and would be higher in the league than us within that 5 years. I think we have 2 more years at the very most to be caught in transition, before the club needs to stabilise, and I for one enjoyed many days of steady stable progress and the setting of the sun, before the club decided to push the (panic) button, and I know what I prefer.

Archived