Paul Jewell era II

Bris Vegas

To all the people in this thread saying don't worry about the money, Mel's got us sorted. Mel Morris is a very wealthy man who has made some fantastic business decisions in the past and you don't get that rich by not knowing when to pull out of a venture. He's currently losing £8 million a year, not including transfer fees, agent fees, construction fees for Moor Farm and pay off for previous managers. He's not going to stay here forever, especially if we don't reach the premier league soon, he simply won't be able to afford to keep up the current outlay. Sure he's a Derby fan, but if you think he's going to bankrupt himself for this club you're wrong.

If we don't go up this season; 1. We'll most likely be slapped with a transfer ban for breaching FFP, leaving Pearson's building job half done. 2. Morris will most likely have to go cost cutting to save his money a la GSE after Paul Jewell's madness.

This is why even though it's not our money we should still be concerned with how much money the club spends, because it does ultimately affect the club.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After he fails? He has signed 2 players which haven't kicked a ball yet (bar 10 minutes for one) he needs time to get rid of some and get some in, being negative after a poor start? Embarrassing support the team ffs

Can someone enlighten me about why people on this board spent all summer moaning about us not spending any money and now we are spending some money people are moaning about it?

I didn't think we needed to spend a lot of money but having seen how Pearson wants us to play I think some different players are necessary. 

I don't know whether they will be the right players but surely we give them a chance before we make a judgement on that? 

2 hours ago, cannable said:

The role that makes the most of a players' attributes will always be that role. We saw with our own eyes a system that got the most out of the players. 

It's not about them being unable to play in another system, but to get the best out of them. Do you really think it's Hughes and Bryson's fault that they're being asked to sit? 

Not at all but they are not sitting all the time are they?, all matches they have played in they have come forward when they can. It's not formation, tactics etc that makes them missplace passes or not move into space or play backwards, slow football.

Like I said, NP spends most of his time shaking his head, which tells me the players are not doing what he's told them to do

18 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

To all the people in this thread saying don't worry about the money, Mel's got us sorted. Mel Morris is a very wealthy man who has made some fantastic business decisions in the past and you don't get that rich by not knowing when to pull out of a venture. He's currently losing £8 million a year, not including transfer fees, agent fees, construction fees for Moor Farm and pay off for previous managers. He's not going to stay here forever, especially if we don't reach the premier league soon, he simply won't be able to afford to keep up the current outlay. Sure he's a Derby fan, but if you think he's going to bankrupt himself for this club you're wrong.

If we don't go up this season; 1. We'll most likely be slapped with a transfer ban for breaching FFP, leaving Pearson's building job half done. 2. Morris will most likely have to go cost cutting to save his money a la GSE after Paul Jewell's madness.

This is why even though it's not our money we should still be concerned with how much money the club spends, because it does ultimately affect the club.

Spot on. I bet people were saying the same about Lionel Pickering 25 years ago.

Clough showed that its possible to buy quality on free transfers/low fees and Pearson at Leicester was also able to bring in likes of Mahrez & Vardy for what would be considered peanuts. I'd like to see more of this approach augmented with the odd big purchase for quality in positions we can't fill elsewhere. I simply don't believe limited midfield workhorses in the mould of Bradley Johnson for example aren't available for a fraction of his £6m fee.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Can someone enlighten me about why people on this board spent all summer moaning about us not spending any money and now we are spending some money people are moaning about it?

I didn't think we needed to spend a lot of money but having seen how Pearson wants us to play I think some different players are necessary. 

I don't know whether they will be the right players but surely we give them a chance before we make a judgement on that? 

My frustrations come from one piss poor decision after another.

We're in a position where with just days remaining of the transfer window we need a fair few signings. This could have been prevented by either appointing somebody who's ideas would work well with this squad or by appointing Pearson when we sacked Clement.

We've left things so late when it was clear before the season even started that we needed signings in order to do what Pearson wants us to.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, cannable said:

Naaaah.

Hulse, Commons, Green, Davies, Andreas Pereploktins

:ph34r:

see thats how my brain has erased that part of derbys history, all i remember is his signings in the january, if you had asked me i would have said they were all cloughs signings....but yeah you are right.

Dont know why some of us are that concerned about money its not like its comming out of out pockets. If mel wants to buy a striker for £50m he can for me 

There are ways around FFP just sponsor the training kit himself for a stupid amount of money and show it as income  

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Dont know why some of us are that concerned about money its not like its comming out of out pockets. If mel wants to buy a striker for £50m he can for me 

There are ways around FFP just sponsor the training kit himself for a stupid amount of money and show it as income  

You can't do that, any sponsorship amount has to be realistic

Read the forum for a long time and bris opinion can be a bit definite and know all in my opinion. I agree on this point however, we're just wasting money and getting worse. We used to laugh at qpr etc and forest for this approach 

Big clear out needed at Derby, which mean more money spent. Is mainly due to awful decisions in the last couple of seasons recruitment wise. We're becoming everything I don't like in a club.

Don't want to sound like a wristslasher or overly negative but i find it hard to believe people not thinking we have huge problems as a club. No idea what the Derby way is but if it is anything like the time since Morris took over then it's not for me

Archived