Paul Jewell era II

Bris Vegas

One thing you're ignoring here Bris is that we've got Mel Morris. The cash isn't going to run out one day and he's going to shrug his shoulders and walk away. He's Derby through and through and more importantly, he's ******* minted. 

Cost cutting won't happen. Morris will spend. If it doesn't happen, he'll spend again, and so on, until we're in the big time. He's said as much. 

You don't spend the money he's spending at Moor Farm if you're not in it for the long haul, and he deserves a lot more credit then he gets on here. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

One thing you're ignoring here Bris is that we've got Mel Morris. The cash isn't going to run out one day and he's going to shrug his shoulders and walk away. He's Derby through and through and more importantly, he's ******* minted. 

Cost cutting won't happen. Morris will spend. If it doesn't happen, he'll spend again, and so on, until we're in the big time. He's said as much. 

You don't spend the money he's spending at Moor Farm if you're not in it for the long haul, and he deserves a lot more credit then he gets on here. 

It'll run out someday, just hopefully not for a ling time, unless the club becomes financially profitable (which probably means becoming established in the PL). Even under GSE the club has something of the order of several million a year in losses, after the cost cutting. 

However, Mel does give security and i do believe he'll be here long term with best interests at heart. 

Right, obviously it's not the start any of us would have hoped for in terms of performances however the negativity is getting quite rediculous considering we're only 5 games in. We have a new manager in. Surely none of us expected this was going to mean a five game winning streak at the start of the season. Give the man time, give the players time to adapt and I'm sure come the end of the season we will be right up there! 

4 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Nigel Doughty was minted too. Forest still went to pieces during his tenure and ended up with Fawaz afterwards!

Well I'm not unhappy sorry to say. I think NP is doing a fine job : he's made our defence arguably the best in the league and he's learned first hand how useless Martin is and how weak the other forwards are. He's taken responsibility, demanded better, and brought in 2 strikers with an aim to possibly get a third. He won't tolerate the lazy athlete like Bent the half hearted skill footballer in Ince or the intelligent sulky slug in Martin. In other words he's an honest man who demands an honest performance. That's why he admires our most honest player: Bryson. 

He will continue to play Bryson and Hughes, he will fix Johnson, and possibly Ince, Blackman. Burton result was a blip. He will stick by his principles. We are going to do well and I'm excited for it.

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

This truly marks the beginning of a new cycle at Derby, and it's going to be feckin ugly.

After we flop under Nigel Pearson, he'll end up getting the boot and we'll have to go on another cost-cutting rampage of sorting out the clusterfack of a squad Mel Morris has given us.

Paul Jewell first season in the Championsip all over again.

All the hard work of five years under Clough has been thrown down the sh!tter.

Feel sorry for the honest players such as Keogh, Martin, Bryson and Russell... They don't deserve this mess at all and they certainly don't deserve a chunk of our support blaming them for our dire displays under Nigel Pearson.

Hope them four, plus Hughes, go on and have decent careers elsewhere. 

You have a very short memory. The dreary, dreary football of the later Clough years is something I wish never to repeat. 

You also seem to be in denial ( like the "we never alnded on the moon lot") . Clough would never have got us to where MacClaren. Clough's merit at Burton can best be judged at the end of this season not after a few matches.

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

All the hard work of five years under Clough has been thrown down the sh1tter

Anyone else remember the Clough era when Bris banged on day after day about all the hard work Clough did getting the club back on track?

No nor me. All I remember is continual moaning about how useless he was.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Well I'm not unhappy sorry to say. I think NP is doing a fine job : he's made our defence arguably the best in the league and he's learned first hand how useless Martin is and how weak the other forwards are. He's taken responsibility, demanded better, and brought in 2 strikers with an aim to possibly get a third. He won't tolerate the lazy athlete like Bent the half hearted skill footballer in Ince or the intelligent sulky slug in Martin. In other words he's an honest man who demands an honest performance. That's why he admires our most honest player: Bryson. 

He will continue to play Bryson and Hughes, he will fix Johnson, and possibly Ince, Blackman. Burton result was a blip. He will stick by his principles. We are going to do well and I'm excited for it.

well said i agree but think ince has talent

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

I admire your optimism but have absolutely no idea after the first 5 matches how you reached the conclusion that you have.

The reason out defensive record has improved is probably because we are playing with 6 defensive positions. The goals we have conceded have been really poor in my opinion.

14 hours ago, eddie said:

You have to realise, chaps, that Bris really believes that he has what it takes to be a manager, and more to the point, that he is a good judge of the capabilities of others.

And he talks out his arse 99% of the time.

Languishing in the bottom half of the table

5 ****** games in man!!!!!! 5 games in, with a new manager and your already calling him Jewell.

There's a village somewhere missing you!

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I admire your optimism but have absolutely no idea after the first 5 matches how you reached the conclusion that you have.

The reason out defensive record has improved is probably because we are playing with 6 defensive positions. The goals we have conceded have been really poor in my opinion.

First 5 games under PC we drew 4 lost 1 didn't we.

And the football manager 2016 experts were going mental when we sacked him eventually and replaced with wassall. THEY were the ones crying for someone like NP to be made manager straight away.

Now we have him, the same numpties want HIM sacked after 5 games too.

A lot of fans on here need to give their ******* heads a shake.

Jesus

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Perceived quality? We've bought a shed load of players and then asked ourselves after wards 'Ok how do we fit these players into the current system and get the best out of them'?

The club's spending over the past 18 months has been laughable. Not just the fees, but buying players who clearly didn't fit the profile needed. Woeful recruitment team.

My arguement now is we've left it until the last few days of the transfer window to panic buy and spent massive sums on just one player. Perhaps more huge sums on another player.

2/3 of this squad CANNOT play anywhere near to their potential under Nigel Pearson's style. Do you think spending an extra £20 million on two players is going to make a huge difference?

Worst part about it is the two players in question aren't suited to a 433 system, so it's not like we have something to fall back on if Pearson gets the boot and Wassall comes in to sort us out again.

This is very comparable to the Paul Jewell era, except this time we've spent more. By the time the window is over we could have spent £50m in fees on new players (over past 18 months) and still have 2/3 of the squad suited to 433, and the rest in different systems.

Either way we're going to end up with a big squad on big wages with different players suited to different systems. 

Mel Morris is a Derby man and I applaud his effort, but to get out of one £30m clusterfack of a mess he's going to end up spending another £20m+ to create an even bigger mess.

He's either being very badly advised or is too stubborn to see past his obvious mistakes.

What an absolute load of crap.

Did martin play in a 433 at norwich?

Did russell play in a 433 at dundee?

Did ince play in a 433 at hull?

Did butter play in a 433 at huddersfield?

Professional footballers shouldn't be able to play just 1 system and that's it.

You and others were moaning about not having a plan B under certain managers, Whats the point in a ****** plan B if, like you say we can't play anything other than 433!!.

If you a professional footballer and cannot adjust to play a different system then says a lot more about the player than it does the manager.

I have stuck up for the players, but i'm sorry, we have one of the best managers in the league and he's asked them to play a certain way and they haven't got the quality to change.

He's obviously going to bring in his own type of player now and get rid of these unsuccessful players!!

And stop moaning about money FFS, It's not NP's fault MM spent 20 odd mill last season, that has nothing to do with him.

Judge NP after this season and after he brings his own players in.

This will not be another Paul Jewell era. He spent lots of money on poor players, and wrong type of players, producing the slowest Derby team I've ever seen! Pearson knows what he needs and will get the right players. Vydra is an excellent signing as is Wilson, Kodjia would be as well, but they will be useless if we don't get the midfield sorted. The service Martin was horrendous on Friday.

Pearson is to some degree hamstrung by the poor business we did last season, Johnson Blackman Ince Weimann bent, Butterfield, no one will pay what we paid for them (except Ince and possibly Butterfield) which means he needs to sell some of the favourites such as Martin although all the names I mention above should be ahead of him in the exit door in my view. 

Its frustrating at the mo but we always start badly. I'm confident Pearson will get it right, but it may take time, but whatever formation he plays, balance is key and we are badly missing Thorne, who despite all the signings in the past 3 years is the only decent Def Mid we have, this needs addressing more than bringing in strikers.

19 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

First 5 games under PC we drew 4 lost 1 didn't we.

And the football manager 2016 experts were going mental when we sacked him eventually and replaced with wassall. THEY were the ones crying for someone like NP to be made manager straight away.

Now we have him, the same numpties want HIM sacked after 5 games too.

A lot of fans on here need to give their ******* heads a shake.

Jesus

Although I obviously want Derby to win every match, performances are more important than results for me.

Under PC you could see the brand of football he wanted from day one, and though personally I found his brand quite boring, from a footballing perspective he wanted his team to play football.

The first 5 games under NP I have not really seen us play decent football or look like creating anything.

If I wanted to watch 2 centre halves punting aimless balls I could do it on the park on Sunday mornings for £500 less than what I am paying to watch Keogh and Shackell do it.

I know everyone says we need a complete overhaul but why does that stop us from playing decent football in the interim?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Although I obviously want Derby to win every match, performances are more important than results for me.

Under PC you could see the brand of football he wanted from day one, and though personally I found his brand quite boring, from a footballing perspective he wanted his team to play football.

The first 5 games under NP I have not really seen us play decent football or look like creating anything.

If I wanted to watch 2 centre halves punting aimless balls I could do it on the park on Sunday mornings for £500 less than what I am paying to watch Keogh and Shackell do it.

I know everyone says we need a complete overhaul but why does that stop us from playing decent football in the interim?

Totally agree, but what do you put it down to?, the manager or players?

You look at NP actions during the games, He spends 90% of the time shaking his head, that tells me the players aren't playing the way he wants them to play.

He didn't play hoofball anywhere he's managed, so I cannot see him telling our players to start doing it.

I really think our players haven't got the quality or mentality to change (back 4 not included).

NP will get it right and we will be a prem club eventually......But NOT with these players.

10 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Totally agree, but what do you put it down to?, the manager or players?

You look at NP actions during the games, He spends 90% of the time shaking his head, that tells me the players aren't playing the way he wants them to play.

He didn't play hoofball anywhere he's managed, so I cannot see him telling our players to start doing it.

I really think our players haven't got the quality or mentality to change (back 4 not included).

NP will get it right and we will be a prem club eventually......But NOT with these players.

Well if the players are not doing as ordered then the manager should do something about it, such as make substitutions.

Also part of our problem is 2 deep lying midfielders, I am guessing they are playing where instructed.

Would people be so patient if Phil Brown or Ian Holloway were in charge and playing like this? After all they have both been promoted to the Premier League before and people seem to think once you've done it once you will definitely do it again.

Once again I will ask the question, why was NP lauded as the great man manager who would get the best out of our players and get us promoted? Would he have been such a popular choice if it was spelt out that he would need to rip everything apart and start again?

43 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

You and others were moaning about not having a plan B under certain managers, Whats the point in a ****** plan B if, like you say we can't play anything other than 433!!.

If you a professional footballer and cannot adjust to play a different system then says a lot more about the player than it does the manager.

I have stuck up for the players, but i'm sorry, we have one of the best managers in the league and he's asked them to play a certain way and they haven't got the quality to change.

He's obviously going to bring in his own type of player now and get rid of these unsuccessful players!!

And stop moaning about money FFS, It's not NP's fault MM spent 20 odd mill last season, that has nothing to do with him.

The role that makes the most of a players' attributes will always be that role. We saw with our own eyes a system that got the most out of the players. 

It's not about them being unable to play in another system, but to get the best out of them. Do you really think it's Hughes and Bryson's fault that they're being asked to sit? 

52 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Absolutely on the money. Not mine obviously.

If a professional player can't play in a similar position to what they are playing in..... Or a different system, or even a different style, you have to question why are they a professional footballer. 

Adapt and evolve...... I had to at work and do 4 different roles where required.....

Looks like some on here have no plan B in their thinking...... 

Archived