What is our pattern of play?

sage

What I'd hope for (in an ideal world):

Carson
Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson
Ince Hughes Johnson Camara
Vydra Martin

Johnson to be a destroyer, Hughes to be the creative, Camara/Ince/Weimann/Russell to provide some width, Martin to provide his usual clever lay offs to Wilson/Vydra.

It all sounds so easy. On paper. 

Trouble is, they're human. There's no expression of their abilities, whether that's because Pearson wants them to be so rigid, or because nobody has any confidence, or any belief in themselves, or each other, I don't know. Everyone's out of form. No one wants to be the one that goes beyond the play - as @Alpha said. Until either Pearson lets them, or they have the confidence to do it, there's only Keogh that dares take the ball on and drive at goal. Even then everyone else stands and watches. And it inevitably comes back to him, who passes to Shackell, who passes to Keogh ad inifinitum.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

What I'd hope for (in an ideal world):

Carson
Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson
Ince Hughes Johnson Camara
Vydra Martin

Johnson to be a destroyer, Hughes to be the creative, Camara/Ince/Weimann/Russell to provide some width, Martin to provide his usual clever lay offs to Wilson/Vydra.

It all sounds so easy. On paper. 

Trouble is, they're human. There's no expression of their abilities, whether that's because Pearson wants them to be so rigid, or because nobody has any confidence, or any belief in themselves, or each other, I don't know. Everyone's out of form. No one wants to be the one that goes beyond the play - as @Alpha said. Until either Pearson lets them, or they have the confidence to do it, there's only Keogh that dares take the ball on and drive at goal. Even then everyone else stands and watches. And it inevitably comes back to him, who passes to Shackell, who passes to Keogh ad inifinitum.

good point sage i think pearson wants us to be a defensive team first not scoring so many goals but not losing and sometimes pinching a win it has proved a winning formula in this  league eg hull middlesboro,swansea ,cardiff,qpr,burnley where all tight at the back and i think this will be the formula rather than the gung ho style we have played and just failed at the last hurdle

Archived