Will Hughes

Warren Hobhead

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No-one was great and Hughes looked ordinary!

Well he looked far from ordinary to me. It's easy to condemn everyone as ordinary because we lost 0-1, but the two centre halves plus Bryson and Hughes had very strong games. Pearson had called it correctly: you can't have just a few players playing their best and the others being so poor. The team won't do well. Ince Martin Butterfield were the worst ones out there with Russell and Bent not far behind.  

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ninos said:

The team won't do well. Ince Martin Butterfield were the worst ones out there with Russell and Bent not far behind.  

In which case how can Bent and Martin be to blame when nothing was created for either of them?

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disagree with you on this one, Warren. Thought Hughesy was clearly our best player tonight and endlessly frustrated by those around him, but he kept trying to drive the team on. He was played too deep (or played too deep) but whenever he was forward the other offensiive players were rarely making the runs for him to play them through.

But you're right about one thing. Time to leave the board and abandon it to meltdown, and go and get hammered!

Was sat with the Burton lot last night and they couldn't believe how deep he played, he was genuinely trying but Burton were mugging him because he was too far adrift of forward options. Waste of the lads talent asking him to do that role.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Find this tread quite strange. Nobody played well last night but Hughes was probably the best of a bad bunch. Odd one to single out.

As the best of a bad bunch and supposedly such an excellent player (in the making!) how did he 'grab the game by the scruff of the neck'?

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don't think you are being silly mate.....that's your opinion....

Will Hughes is the best player in the Derby team , I've no doubt about that but he's been useless since Pearson came to the club and if that's the way he's going to play I would sell him in the next few days , worryingly with all the moves mentioned no one is showing any interest in young will 

He's one of the best players this club has seen this millennium. We play badly at the start of the season (not even out of August yet) and I've already seen some suggesting we sell him. Hughes is a creator. His talents lie in more hidden areas of the game, ie his stats (goals, assists) don't show him as a good player, you have to watch him to appreciate how good he really is. To create you need other players to fulfill their duties too. If we swapped Hughes and Iniesta around who would get more assists? My guess would be Hughes by a country mile. He's going to excel when he eventually gets a move to a top club, I'm confident of that. We need to build a team around him because if we suit his talents then we will be hard to stop. He possesses talent that not many at this level have.

20 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Will Hughes is the best player in the Derby team , I've no doubt about that but he's been useless since Pearson came to the club and if that's the way he's going to play I would sell him in the next few days , worryingly with all the moves mentioned no one is showing any interest in young will 

This could happen very easily and quickly as young will may wonder what the heck is happening at Derby 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ask yourselves this question, in how many of Hughes' games for Derby, has he been the best midfielder on the pitch?

Possibly count the games on one hand. Even if you've lost a finger in an industrial accident.

I hate to say it but I see your point! I really wouldn't be suprised to see Will go if the big money comes in .

This is going to sound ridiculous on face value but hear me out. I wouldn't be too object to seeing Hughes as a right midfielder. Ince isn't exactly pulling strings on the right midfield. The reason I say this is because a few years ago Aaron Ramsey  had a bit of a positional 'crisis' in the same way Hughes is at the moment. Wenger didn't know where to put Ramsey because he struggled in the midfield 2, incidentally the same formation we are playing now, and his solution was to put him as a right midfielder. Fast forward a few years Ramsey is back in the centre midfield because the experience as a right midfielder helped him to become a more complete player and to understand his defensive responsibilities. In fact a number of top managers have done this,Pochettino did the same with Dele Alli last season by putting him on the wing before later in the season putting him back into midfield as it allowed him to understand his defensive responsibilities. James Milner is another example I can think of as he was originally a centre midfielder but then was moved onto the wing to develop.Now he is back in the centre midfield. Heck even the great Iniesta was moved onto the wing to develop. Ozil was exactly the same too.The final example I can think of is a player who is very,very similar in terms of style to Hughes called Saul who plays for Atletico Madrid. Saul was originally a centre midfielder but the Atletico manager decided to put him as a right mid and yet again it helped to develop his game. Even in Mac's first season Hughes used to naturally drift over to the right midfield so it's obviously a area he is comfortable in. Pearson played Hughes as a RM in pre season but this experiment wasn't given enough time. I think it's better than wasting his creative abilities by playing him as a defensive midfielder anyway.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ask yourselves this question, in how many of Hughes' games for Derby, has he been the best midfielder on the pitch?

Possibly count the games on one hand. Even if you've lost a finger in an industrial accident.

I'm sorry but unless you've got some sort of deformity\ are from Nottingham then you can't possibly keep count of the amount of times Hughes has been the best midfielder on the pitch. Make no mistake things at Derby have been on the up since his arrival at the club and he is arguably the best footballer to play at Derby since the turn of the century, and losing him would likely spell greater disaster than our current situation

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

This is going to sound ridiculous on face value but hear me out. I wouldn't be too object to seeing Hughes as a right midfielder. Ince isn't exactly pulling strings on the right midfield. The reason I say this is because a few years ago Aaron Ramsey  had a bit of a positional 'crisis' in the same way Hughes is at the moment. Wenger didn't know where to put Ramsey because he struggled in the midfield 2, incidentally the same formation we are playing now, and his solution was to put him as a right midfielder. Fast forward a few years Ramsey is back in the centre midfield because the experience as a right midfielder helped him to become a more complete player and to understand his defensive responsibilities. In fact a number of top managers have done this,Pochettino did the same with Dele Alli last season by putting him on the wing before later in the season putting him back into midfield as it allowed him to understand his defensive responsibilities. James Milner is another example I can think of as he was originally a centre midfielder but then was moved onto the wing to develop.Now he is back in the centre midfield. Heck even the great Iniesta was moved onto the wing to develop. Ozil was exactly the same too.The final example I can think of is a player who is very,very similar in terms of style to Hughes called Saul who plays for Atletico Madrid. Saul was originally a centre midfielder but the Atletico manager decided to put him as a right mid and yet again it helped to develop his game. Even in Mac's first season Hughes used to naturally drift over to the right midfield so it's obviously a area he is comfortable in. Pearson played Hughes as a RM in pre season but this experiment wasn't given enough time. I think it's better than wasting his creative abilities by playing him as a defensive midfielder anyway.

I agree with a lot of this. Remember his debut against Peterborough at RM? He was brilliant. 

His timing of the pass could really help Christie as well.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Couldn't even count it on three hands if you were from Nottingham.

Archived