Players lacking confidence?

toddy

1 hour ago, toddy said:

You can give a person all the tools to motivate them, but at the end of the day they have to take those tools aboard.

Sooner or later the players have to take responsibility.

I watched the Hammers game on Sunday and if you'd substituted their strip for ours it was like watching us - a team that lacks any confidence. They were also asking what's happened playing the 'West Ham way'?

Didn't West Ham also finish just outside the top 4 and we're expected to challenge this year? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, toddy said:

You can give a person all the tools to motivate them, but at the end of the day they have to take those tools aboard.

Sooner or later the players have to take responsibility.

I watched the Hammers game on Sunday and if you'd substituted their strip for ours it was like watching us - a team that lacks any confidence. They were also asking what's happened playing the 'West Ham way'?

You wouldn't give someone a hammer to chop a piece of wood with though...

So why would you play 442 when it means you are playing a central midfielder on the right wing?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You wouldn't give someone a hammer to chop a piece of wood with though...

So why would you play 442 when it means you are playing a central midfielder on the right wing?

You know I forgot, a midfielder cannot run up or down a wing, he cannot either pass a ball up or down a wing.

Obviously the midfielder will get a nose bleed when being asked to play on an edge of a pitch, FFS he is a professional footballer  -the grass is the same on the wing as it is in the middle of the park.

I guess what you mean really is this midfielder is incapable of playing wider than normal- just he cannot do it.

1 minute ago, toddy said:

You know I forgot, a midfielder cannot run up or down a wing, he cannot either pass a ball up or down a wing.

Obviously the midfielder will get a nose bleed when being asked to play on an edge of a pitch, FFS he is a professional footballer  -the grass is the same on the wing as it is in the middle of the park.

I guess what you mean really is this midfielder is incapable of playing wider the normal just he cannot do it.

You can't ask a customer service agent to do a salesman's job. Different jobs/roles take different styles of people to do them, they are called different positions for a reason. 

We cannot play JB on the wing, he's never done it before and clearly lacks that knowledge of the game to do the job he has been given.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Didn't West Ham also finish just outside the top 4 and we're expected to challenge this year? 

Expecting to be challenging top 4 this season, so a massive problem with their manager, he must be so Shiite they really need to sack him......

Nope, Confidence has gone in that team the same as ours....the 'Derby way' must be so similar to the 'West Ham' way.......

11 minutes ago, toddy said:

I guess what you mean really is this midfielder is incapable of playing wider than normal- just he cannot do it.

In that case what don't we just put names in a hat and pull them out to see where they are playing, after all they are professional footballers.

48 minutes ago, toddy said:

Not sure if I can even debate with you anymore if you believe a central midfielder and a winger should be able to carry out the same role. 

Was it you that advised Stuart Pearce to throw David James up front that time?

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if I can even debate with you anymore if you believe a central midfielder and a winger should be able to carry out the same role. 

A central midfielder playing on the wing shouldn't mean he can't pass a ball to a teammate 6 yards away though. 

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When we play with wing backs which is what we do, we do not need a midfielder sat on a wing, not sure why you feel Butters plays on the wing. He might be told to play left or right of midfield and end up out of position, but the defend Butters he not a dribbler as in an out and out winger, put is capable of passing and hitting a ball ........but when we have players not available for selection needs must.

59 minutes ago, rynny said:

In that case what don't we just put names in a hat and pull them out to see where they are playing, after all they are professional footballers.

The point I am making is when we need a ball playing either left or right of midfield there is no risen why Butters cannot play there, he does not need to run at their full back we have wing backs for that job he will be there as cover. He will cut in to allow the overlap of Olsson or Christie for that matter. At the end of the day players have to be versatile when needs must, he is capable at passing the ball, shooting and running at defenders, agreed not as good as Russell, but these are different players.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

You can't ask a customer service agent to do a salesman's job. Different jobs/roles take different styles of people to do them, they are called different positions for a reason. 

We cannot play JB on the wing, he's never done it before and clearly lacks that knowledge of the game to do the job he has been given.

He is all we have when have selection problems, Olsson is there for running at the full back, being a CM does not mean as a player you cannot pass a ball, do the odd dribble , or in deed cut in and shot at range.

He is not a JR but when needs must players have to adapt.

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

The point I am making is when we need a ball playing either left or right of midfield there is no risen why Butters cannot play there, he does not need to run at their full back we have wing backs for that job he will be there as cover. He will cut in to allow the overlap of Olsson or Christie for that matter. At the end of the day players have to be versatile when needs must, he is capable at passing the ball, shooting and running at defenders, agreed not as good as Russell, but these are different players.

Wouldn't it just be easier to play the players in the roles they are good at? If Butterfield is needed to tuck in, why not just play him centrally with the other 2 and make it a 3?

23 minutes ago, toddy said:

When we play with wing backs which is what we do, we do not need a midfielder sat on a wing, not sure why you feel Butters plays on the wing. He might be told to play left or right of midfield and end up out of position, but the defend Butters he not a dribbler as in an out and out winger, put is capable of passing and hitting a ball ........but when we have players not available for selection needs must.

And when we have players better suited to the role sat on the bench or not even in the squad...

8 minutes ago, rynny said:

Wouldn't it just be easier to play the players in the roles they are good at? If Butterfield is needed to tuck in, why not just play him centrally with the other 2 and make it a 3?

Yes, but if you have a selection problem then we need to adapt.

Maybe because we already have Bryson and Hughes centrally, normally if a holding midfield goes forward another would drop into his role, to keep our shape. I still think the main problem is not having GT available and not having quality cover for him, so we either ask Hughes/Bryson or Butters to fall into it.  They all have there strong points  but they are not natural DM 's like GT.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

And when we have players better suited to the role sat on the bench or not even in the squad...

You don't know why they are sitting on the bench? Or not in the squad?

There will be a reason whether injured, not full fit, carrying a knock or decent in the ranks?

Why was Martin shipped out, the top score for the last 3 seasons, it wasn't for being a bad striker.

Just now, toddy said:

You don't know why they are sitting on the bench? Or not in the squad?

There will be a reason whether injured, not full fit, carrying a knock or decent in the ranks?

Why was Martin shipped out, the top score for the last 3 seasons, it wasn't for being a bad striker.

I don't need to know the reason, all I need to know is that Pearson would rather play a system which has square pegs in round holes, rather than choose a system that his players would fit into.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't need to know the reason, all I need to know is that Pearson would rather play a system which has square pegs in round holes, rather than choose a system that his players would fit into.

Needed not worry now the shambles is unfolding once again ...........

We have had this confidence issue now for the last 3 mths and possibly since last May.

Once Pearson tenure is finalized maybe we should be now looking for motivator type of manager, that can put his arm around players and tell then how brilliant they really are?

The sort of manager in the bracket of Big Sam, [Warnock was another unfortunately Cardiff have done the deal] 

Is there any more managers that can lift us?

I know Big Sam seems to have managed that sort of coaching style all his managerial career. 

Archived