Players lacking confidence?

toddy

Listening to NP after the game highlights on TV today and he reckons some players are lacking confidence?

Bloody hell we have only played 2 games and heads have dropped?

I am wondering if some are thinking they won't be here for much longer and this is possibly the cause, 2 games and the manager things some of lost confidence?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not emerged all of a sudden. Too many of our players have been mentally weak for a considerable length of time now and this manifesting itself as low confidence is contributing to our current performance levels. We need more leaders in our team with higher levels of resilience in order to handle the pressure of a successful promotion campaign. Until we fix this and get more players in with the right character we will continue to struggle when things get tough. Look at the leaders we had in the Bald Eagles promotion team, Stimac, van der Laan, Yates, Chris & Darryl Powell,  Gabbiadini etc. It was these strong characters as much as our ability that got us promotion. Nigel just needs to find 2 or 3 of these and things will start to turn our way...

I think he was implying the lack of confidence was a carryover from last season, Toddy. And that from a) our failures as a team b) the constant shuffling of lineup so no one was secure in their place and c) the bloated size of the team. 

Interesting to see who he thinks are 'out of form' though - Christie, Fozzy, Hughes, Blackman, Martin, Ince,  Bent, Butter, Russell? i'd imagine it would be players from that list that he was referencing?

He says this is one of his interviews written up by the DET:

"This is our Achilles heel.

"When things aren't going our way, we can't seem to find a way of staying in games or even turning the tide in games.

"I believe that this group of players can do that but they need to be more supportive of each other.

"That's something we will continue to work on."

Now hes clearly referencing more than just his time at the club. And frankly I dont think there is anyone whos watched Derby in the last few years who would disagree that this has been our biggest weakness.

Frankly, in my opinion, if we can get a squad of players who dont have this (simply depressing) weakness, we have far more chance of promotion than tweaking our current set of players and playing them in "their" system.

Whether thats done by improving the mental strength of our squad, bringing players with that resilience in, or a bit of both, I think that has to be the priority.

And it looks like it is, from piecing together Pearson interviews.

11 hours ago, toddy said:

Listening to NP after the game highlights on TV today and he reckons some players are lacking confidence?

Bloody hell we have only played 2 games and heads have dropped?

I am wondering if some are thinking they won't be here for much longer and this is possibly the cause, 2 games and the manager things some of lost confidence?

I think if the manager employs a new system which is completely unsuited to way the players have been playing the last 3/4 years and then complains after the game that they're not on form... You can see why they might be lacking confidence...

If Pearson wants to change the way we play then he needs to give the players the confidence they can play that way... 

11 hours ago, TopRam said:

Not surprised after 10 minutes at Brighton they was moaning and booing in the crowd 

Really? I don't recall this. In fact we were pretty good for the first 20 mins or so. If you meant at Barnsley then i have no idea as i didn't go.

My opinion is that we really do have a team of bottlers and how NP addresses this i'm not sure. The obvious answer would be to add some new faces and if that's the case then i just hope to god they are top quality additions that actually improve rather than bloat the squad. I hope we ship someone out. At this stage i don't care who goes and think we should have sold Jeff.

I'm pretty hacked off with this group of players if i'm honest and i don't think they have the fight, desire or mental strength to win promotion.

42 minutes ago, LauraH said:

Really? I don't recall this. In fact we were pretty good for the first 20 mins or so. If you meant at Barnsley then i have no idea as i didn't go.

My opinion is that we really do have a team of bottlers and how NP addresses this i'm not sure. The obvious answer would be to add some new faces and if that's the case then i just hope to god they are top quality additions that actually improve rather than bloat the squad. I hope we ship someone out. At this stage i don't care who goes and think we should have sold Jeff.

I'm pretty hacked off with this group of players if i'm honest and i don't think they have the fight, desire or mental strength to win promotion.

Baird was booed before kick off and yes we started well but groans started very early 

1 hour ago, LauraH said:

Some do, but as NP points out "I believe that this group of players can do that but they need to be more supportive of each other." They all need to do it, I guess atm he's trying to find out who will in this squad.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

need to be more supportive of each other

I wonder if he's referring to something specific here or just a general observation. Someone i know went to the match on Saturday and said that Shackell went berserk at Carson for one of the goals. I've no idea if this is true and i'm not really one to pick on a particular player but if true then yeah they need to realise it's a team game and berating one another isn't going to help however they should know this already they have literally been playing football their whole adult lives... I am so disappointed with this squad at the moment and frankly sick of hearing excuses.

1 minute ago, LauraH said:

I wonder if he's referring to something specific here or just a general observation. Someone i know went to the match on Saturday and said that Shackell went berserk at Carson for one of the goals. I've no idea if this is true and i'm not really one to pick on a particular player but if true then yeah they need to realise it's a team game and berating one another isn't going to help however they should know this already they have literally been playing football their whole adult lives... I am so dissapointed with this squad at the moment.

Shackell's a mercenary... Always has been... It's no shock to me at all that he'd do that... Plays his own game, keeps himself safe and makes sure everyone knows things aren't his fault...

He's also a bloody good CB so worth having around...

1 minute ago, LauraH said:

I wonder if he's referring to something specific here or just a general observation. 

I assumed 'supportive' was a euphemism not necessarily literal. They need to put the effort in, the teamwork to see the rewards. In the latest pre-PNE game interview NP again focuses on psychological issues and I think he's right to.

Weren't we here ''LOOKING FOR LEADERS'' under Mac's last couple of months, same as under Clements last two months and possibly under Wassall?

Players under confidence, after two games, FFS these are professional footballers, if they cannot cope with a managers demands, then move them out - no player is bigger than then club.

I don't buy the formation thing, yeah a midfielder / a defender or striker can only play in a certain formation, Not!

• 1 month later...

Obviously this confidence thing is not getting any better, perhaps a complete clear out should have been done in the summer.

The two he has brought in Vydra and Anya seem positive on the pitch, but unfortunately the rest seem to have 2 left feet. 

You can give a person all the tools to motivate them, but at the end of the day they have to take those tools aboard.

Sooner or later the players have to take responsibility.

I watched the Hammers game on Sunday and if you'd substituted their strip for ours it was like watching us - a team that lacks any confidence. They were also asking what's happened playing the 'West Ham way'?

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Lack of confidence is squarely to be put with the manager. In any job I'd say the same. I've witnessed it at work many times and it's down to the manager to motivate and turn it round. 

I have been a manager for a good few years and one of my best bosses once said to me. "The best tools you have at your disposal is your man power, get them onside and you can achieve anything".

I have worked with that philosophy and it certainly does work.

However, when you move to a new position where the manpower is really down or slightly militant, it takes longer and more effort to get them onside.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

I have been a manager for a good few years and one of my best bosses once said to me. "The best tools you have at your disposal is your man power, get them onside and you can achieve anything".

I have worked with that philosophy and it certainly does work.

However, when you move to a new position where the manpower is really down or slightly militant, it takes longer and more effort to get them onside.

even more tricky if some of those you are trying to motivate are pampered millionaires

Archived