Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Thanks, I still think he could work if he had Ince playing off him and 2 speedy wingers. With his touch and brain he could be used as the focal point, however if Pearson wants to counter attack with pace he will struggle. Wasn't it Pearson who signed Ulloa for Leicester? Him and Martin are similar(ish) players.

Yeh, and you could argue that Okazaki last season was also of similar type who played between the midfield and a quick centre-forward, but it seems Martin perhaps struggles in this role.

Was told two days ago that Chris Martin could be off, so the situation has been brewing. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeh, and you could argue that Okazaki last season was also of similar type who played between the midfield and a quick centre-forward, but it seems Martin perhaps struggles in this role.

Was told two days ago that Chris Martin could be off, so the situation has been brewing. 

I really hope not but players leave and life goes on. Just think the could be another Sturridge moment where he comes back to haunt us.

Martin doesn't start one game (one game!) and apparently is now out of favour. Wait a few games and he'll definitely be back as our main striker and goal threat. The cream normally rises to the top and he's proven himself three seasons running in the Championship. In the current market should be worth at least £12m. He practically guarantees you 20 goals a season plus myriad assists.

I love my strikers skillful and brave and Martin is both of those. Would be disappointed if he leaves as all our best forward play has revolved around him for many years. Any other Championship club would be lucky to have him. If the management genuinely don't think he's the man, sell for £12m but make sure you replace with higher quality than the names that are being tossed about. Which almost certainly means good scouting overseas.

Love the ITK that suddenly make out that they knew days ago he would be off-as if they wouldn't have put a PPC article up :whistle:

Bid rejected as well according to aky

1 hour ago, satty atwal said:

Hendrick going... staying.... Russell being chased by everyone for a fiver.... keogh definately going.... wait he signed new deal.... bid for forestieri.... we p**s Wednesday off and they ask for ince and hendrick.... we bid for wells but get quoted 50m... pearson says offers have been made for players.... wolves take the p**s with derisory offer for our main man for goals.... 

But still no significant ins or outs.... this window is really really pissing me off

Whose idea was it to end a transfer window 1 month into a season, it makes no flipping sense.

After 4 odd games all championship teams may as well have chucked all players up in the air and see where they land.

I normally love transfer rumours but this window stinks...I don't fancy facing any team this year containing a star player from our previous most successful for years seasons.

If we sell Martin, Ince or even Hendrick to a fellow rival, we may as well pack up and fork off.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

As I mentioned in another thread…

…why do players who expect the ball to feet get hounded for being lazy and not applying themselves? 

And this is a player that returned early and we've seen him in work on his days off. 

But he doesn't try as hard as Sammon

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Love the ITK that suddenly make out that they knew days ago he would be off-as if they wouldn't have put a PPC article up :whistle:

Bid rejected as well according to aky

Seeing as he hasn't been sold, there is no guarantee he will be off. But this has been brewing a while. The situation I was told the moment he met Pearson was either there will be a new contract for him, or he'll likely be off.

Sure, neither could happen and he just remains a Derby player, but it's all change. He is no longer seen as a pivotal part, despite topping our scoring charts for the past three seasons.

There won't be an article unless of a bid or real developments.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Martin doesn't start one game (one game!) and apparently is now out of favour. Wait a few games and he'll definitely be back as our main striker and goal threat. The cream normally rises to the top and he's proven himself three seasons running in the Championship. In the current market should be worth at least £12m. He practically guarantees you 20 goals a season plus myriad assists.

I love my strikers skillful and brave and Martin is both of those. Would be disappointed if he leaves as all our best forward play has revolved around him for many years. Any other Championship club would be lucky to have him. If the management genuinely don't think he's the man, sell for £12m but make sure you replace with higher quality than the names that are being tossed about. Which almost certainly means good scouting overseas.

This... All of this...

Especially this:

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If the management genuinely don't think he's the man, sell for £12m but make sure you replace with higher quality than the names that are being tossed about. 

Wells and Kodija are NOT Martin quality... They need at least another season to prove that... Plenty of players have one decent season in them...

Maybe Pearson wants a different kind of forward to Martin (would be odd since he liked Nugent and signed Ulloa for Leicester) but if he is going to do that he needs a replacement of actual genuine quality... Not someone we take a punt on who could have been a one-season wonder...

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Seeing as he hasn't been sold, there is no guarantee he will be off. But this has been brewing a while. The situation I was told the moment he met Pearson was either there will be a new contract for him, or he'll likely be off.

Sure, neither could happen and he just remains a Derby player, but it's all change. He is no longer seen as a pivotal part, despite topping our scoring charts for the past three seasons.

There won't be an article unless of a bid or real developments.

Any more news on incomings bris?

Just now, JayRam1 said:

Any more news on incomings bris?

Not heard anything. Only that a CB and ST are the first two priorities, and then a RB. Not heard anything in terms of names. It seems Derby have done a good job in keeping info inside the club this time around.

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Well if we go by the first 2 games of the season nearly all the squad should be sold. Ridiculous comment. 

Not only does he contribute goals but also assist so by selling him you potentially lose 30+ goals. That's a lot to find. 

I disagree, I think the first two games are rather telling. First he gets dropped, which would have been unheard of under previous regimes, and the second he does nothing of note at all, when you think he'd be playing out of his skin. Nothing about Tuesday, or any time last season, suggested he could form a partnership with Bent. 

Anyway, you're missing the point, deliberately or otherwise, which is a Martin under McClaren for example is a totally different proposition than a Martin under Pearson. And if a Martin under Pearson doesn't work, look like working, or from either party doesn't want to work, then we might as well get the money in for him and bring in someone who has a better chance of working under what the new manager wants.

I'm not saying automatically sell him, there' a lot about him that admire, though I don't share your opinion that he's some sort of Messiah, but am I saying that if either party doesn't see it eye to eye, then it might suit everyone to move him on. As Steve Mac was always so fond of saying, that's football.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Not heard anything. Only that a CB and ST are the first two priorities, and then a RB. Not heard anything in terms of names. It seems Derby have done a good job in keeping info inside the club this time around.

Surprised we are after a CB unless we are changing formation. Can you see us going back in for foresteri if Martin goes?

2 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I disagree, I think the first two games are rather telling. First he gets dropped, which would have been unheard of under previous regimes, and the second he does nothing of note at all, when you think he'd be playing out of his skin. Nothing about Tuesday, or any time last season, suggested he could form a partnership with Bent. 

Anyway, you're missing the point, deliberately or otherwise, which is a Martin under McClaren for example is a totally different proposition than a Martin under Pearson. And if a Martin under Pearson doesn't work, look like working, or from either party doesn't want to work, then we might as well get the money in for him and bring in someone who has a better chance of working under what the new manager wants.

I'm not saying automatically sell him, I don't share your opinion that he's some sort of Messiah, but am I saying that if either party doesn't see it eye to eye, then it might suit everyone to move him on. As Steve Mac was always so fond of saying, that's football.

I've never said he was a messiah but if he leaves the assist and goals he takes with him leaves a void. We should be looking at offloading the players who are being forced to play out of position and put round pegs in round holes.

1 minute ago, CastletonRam said:

Make it £8 million and he can go. Been found out. Need something different. 

So up the fee by another one and a half million pounds for a centre forward who has been 'found out' ? 

Found out for what exactly? Not taking his turn in washing the kit? 

2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I've never said he was a messiah but if he leaves the assist and goals he takes with him leaves a void. We should be looking at offloading the players who are being forced to play out of position and put round pegs in round holes.

Which would, it would seem, be Martin in a 4-4-2. And I presume if he leaves we will buy someone else who the manager things will fit the system better, and therefore full that void. 

Anyhow, we'll see how it plays out. I'd be happy if he stayed and is properly utilised, but looking at what Pearson has tried with him in game one and two, I'm not convinced.  

Archived