Derby to take part in EFL Trophy

Srg

50 minutes ago, Anon said:

The logic of that argument is inconsistent. You say yourself that lower league players are "of generally less ability" before contradicting yourself in the very next paragraph. Personally, I agree more with the second paragraph. There are plenty of decent players in the lower leagues in teams who are capable of playing good football, which is why I find it so bizarre that some top clubs and the FA are seeking to introduce U21 teams to lower league competitions rather than loan players to allow them play alongside and learn from those players.

There is no contradiction!!

players in the lower leagues are of GENERALLY lower ability. 

There are some decent teams in the two lower leagues that play football THEY ARE NOT ALL filled with as you say 'journeymen'  

it may seem odd to you but not every team down there is not the same. Different teams different styles kiddo!! Different players different abilities. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bcnram said:

There is no contradiction!!

players in the lower leagues are of GENERALLY lower ability. 

There are some decent teams in the two lower leagues that play football THEY ARE NOT ALL filled with as you say 'journeymen'  

it may seem odd to you but not every team down there is not the same. Different teams different styles kiddo!! Different players different abilities. 

That still doesn't adequately explain why playing against these players as part of an U21 team is of greater benefit that playing alongside and against these players in a season long loan.

So different teams have different styles. Is it not possible for a premiership team to identify which lower league teams play with a style that would aid the development of a particular player?

12 minutes ago, Anon said:

That still doesn't adequately explain why playing against these players as part of an U21 team is of greater benefit that playing alongside and against these players in a season long loan.

So different teams have different styles. Is it not possible for a premiership team to identify which lower league teams play with a style that would aid the development of a particular player?

Maybe it is because some teams like their development players  to play in a certain system and want to be in full control of their footballing education. Occasionally, they may think it will do them good to put them up against physically stronger teams as part of their education to help them learn how to cope with the stuff they don't get at U21 level, which this competition would do.

There is a place for loans to lower league clubs and that can be for a number of reasons, even just helping a player to grow-up as a person. 

On the other side of the coin. a league 2 team coming up against a premier league U21 team is also going to benefit. They will come up against movement and probably pace that they don't normally face, and that will help them as a team - you never ever stop learning in football.

Better change the title of this thread...

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-would-play-in-new-look-efl-trophy-if-invited/story-29516098-detail/story.html

Derby County have indicated to the Football League that they would participate in the new-look EFL Trophy, if invited.

The Football League is keen to revamp what was the Johnstone's Paint Trophy by involving 16 Category One Academy sides.

However, Manchester City have declined the invitation and other big clubs are leaning towards rejecting their invitation.

This has left the Football League looking to see which of the other Category One Academies initially not invited would be interested in taking part.

Derby were one of those not originally invited along with the likes of Norwich City, Aston Villa, Brighton, Wolves and Blackburn.

Of the initial 16 clubs invited, Everton, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea and West Bromwich Albion have all confirmed their intention to compete.

The proposed new format would see the 16 Academy teams join the 48 sides from League One and League Two.

So we've prostrated ourselves at the feet of the mighty FL. "Please oh great ones, I know we are but worthless provincial ****-heels, but we would be most honoured to make up the numbers now all the prestigious clubs have turned you down." Not embarrassing in the slightest.

7 minutes ago, David said:

What would happen if all the U21's pulled out? back to the original format?

If they don't get 16 teams I'd imagine they'd just scrap the idea.

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I would rather see us not participate in something like this. It was a crap idea that was so poorly thought through that the clubs that were supposed to see the most benefit can't be arsed with it. Another attempt to sneak B teams through on the sly for the big boys which hasn't worked. Just leave the competition alone.

Going by mates who support clubs in League 1/2, about the last thing they wanted was to leave the tournament as it was. I was speaking to someone who went to a first round game last season and he said it was worse than a pre-season friendly for atmosphere and quality of football.

I'm on the fence about the new format and want to see it first before I write it off, but the idea that the Football League is messing with something of value isn't accurate I don't think..

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Going by mates who support clubs in League 1/2, about the last thing they wanted was to leave the tournament as it was. I was speaking to someone who went to a first round game last season and he said it was worse than a pre-season friendly for atmosphere and quality of football.

I'm on the fence about the new format and want to see it first before I write it off, but the idea that the Football League is messing with something of value isn't accurate I don't think..

Fair enough. I would qualify my comments by saying that if the format needs changing leave it to the clubs that are involved instead of trying to crowbar outside interests in to the mix.

It is designed to bring the standard up and to make Premier League Clubs more money by developing their players but lower league players may want to showcase themselves. All the lower league teams are still going to get a game. Would you rather watch Rams U21s play Everton U21s or a lower league club? Therein is the $64 ,000 dollar question. Pressure from FA a few years ago, I think. More games against Prem U21s can only be good for development of our players. Saves them going on loan.

32 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Fair enough. I would qualify my comments by saying that if the format needs changing leave it to the clubs that are involved instead of trying to crowbar outside interests in to the mix.

I get the concerns, but I think the Football League know the answer - most L1/L2 clubs would scrap it! I was reading the regulations and there's a rule about Football League sides having to field a certain number of first team players - clearly a lot of clubs have been putting out second-string sides because they aren't that bothered.

If it doesn't work, a rubbish tournament will be consigned to the history books. It it does work, then U21 players get more game time, and lower division players and fans get something a bit different. If you're a League 2 side, you could play another club in your division competitively 8 times in one season - twice in the league, twice in the FA Cup if it's a replay, twice in the League Cup and then twice in the play-offs.

I don't think B teams would ever enter our league system, or certainly not like in Germany or Spain. We have far bigger clubs reaching further down the league ladder than in those countries. I don't deny that the big clubs would love to do it, but there'd be too much opposition and regulation in the way for it to be worth the hassle. More likely, if this is a success, would be to merge the League Cup and League Trophy and just have all the Cat One U21s playing the rest of the Football League in a domestic cup. 

38 minutes ago, rynny said:

What I don't quite follow is why people think this is a way for the big teams getting a B team into the football league? Then why are the big teams that want the B team refusing to enter?

Because it was poorly thought out. I think it was the Liverpool statement that basically said with the dates proposed for games it clashed with a load of international tournaments so they wouldn't be able to put a proper team out. Had it been properly thought out not some half arsed attempt to squeeze them in they would have gone for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Derby County have accepted an invitation by the English Football League (EFL) to compete in this season’s EFL trophy.

The Rams will enter their Under 23 squad into the competition with the draw set to take place at 10am today to determine who the side, managed by Academy Director Darren Wassall, will face in the newly-restructured competition.

This summer saw EFL Clubs agree, at their 2016 conference, to pilot a new format for the EFL Trophy as part of their ongoing commitment to creating more and better home grown players.

The one season trial for the 2016/17 season will include 64 teams made up of Sky Bet League One and Two clubs, plus an additional 16 Category 1 Premier League Academy and Under 23 outfits.

Central to the competition will be the introduction of a new group stage format with 16 regional groups of four teams. The top two teams will progress to the knockout stages of the competition - with the final staged at Wembley Stadium in April 2017. 

The competition began in the 1983/84 season as the Associate Members' Cup but, in 1992, it was renamed the Football League Trophy, after the lower-division clubs became full members of the Football League. It was, as part of the Football League’s rebrand to the EFL, renamed the EFL Trophy this summer.

Derby County has competed in the competition before, with the first-team involved in the tournament during the 1984/85 and 1985/86 seasons whilst in the Third Division under Arthur Cox.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/derby-county-to-compete-in-efl-trophy-3207345.aspx#aUWQ64qzWS3OZzRj.99

CoW8ItTWgAAJuTM.jpg

The academies being it is not at all being received well, based on the twitter. 

Here's every team, if anyone's curious which academies are in. 

Archived