Derby to take part in EFL Trophy

Srg

1 hour ago, needles said:

...but bad for football.

There's an argument (or there certainly was at the time) that the Premier League is/was bad for football. It doesn't mean I didn't/don't want to be in it. By entering DCFC gains an advantage. I would enjoy the history if our U21s were to win the trophy at Wembley in a brilliant double with the first team gaining promotion. And it would be excellent for recruiting top talent to the academy. The teams not entering will probably end up regretting it.

Times change. Football changes.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I don't... It'll be good for the u21s to get more games and to play against some bigger, harder players... Did you read what Callum Guy said about his loan? Said it was a step up playing against actual adults rather than teenagers...

I agree no substitute for competitive games.  They will learn so much more. 

18 hours ago, SaintRam said:

It's not about the tradition of the cup for me, I couldn't give a monkeys if the cup was cancelled forever. I don't care about any of the teams involved, and I doubt Derby's ever going to be competing in it.

My big issue with it is that it's a clear foot in the door towards getting an English version of "B" teams in the lower leagues, which would be ****. 

I dunno... I think the fact that the big boys have refused to play suggests they aren't that bothered?

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I dunno... I think the fact that the big boys have refused to play suggests they aren't that bothered?

Probably terrified their expensive youth teams in their fancy new facilities will get found out.

23 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Probably terrified their expensive youth teams in their fancy new facilities will get found out.

I suspect it's more because they know they can get loan time for their players whenever they want it anyway... 

4 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Its also good for the development of lower league teams and for their players to get noticed. win win all around.

How does playing against under 21 sides aid the development of lower league teams?

1 hour ago, Anon said:

How does playing against under 21 sides aid the development of lower league teams?

Probably by coming up against higher skill levels than they would playing in League 2. By the same token the U21's would benefit by playing against some of the more physical aspects of the lower leagues.

27 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Probably by coming up against higher skill levels than they would playing in League 2. By the same token the U21's would benefit by playing against some of the more physical aspects of the lower leagues.

So, what is the big difference between this and simply loaning players out to lower league sides? One of the big arguments proponents of this idea come up with is that young players aren't learning much by being sent to get kicked around for a season by league 2 journeymen, so their big idea to combat this is to enter the entire u21 team in a cup competition where they can get kicked around by league 1/2 journeymen. There is no logic to this proposal beyond premiership sides wanting to justify hoovering up even more young talent and hoarding them in gigantic reserve squads.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

So, what is the big difference between this and simply loaning players out to lower league sides? One of the big arguments proponents of this idea come up with is that young players aren't learning much by being sent to get kicked around for a season by league 2 journeymen, so their big idea to combat this is to enter the entire u21 team in a cup competition where they can get kicked around by league 1/2 journeymen. There is no logic to this proposal beyond premiership sides wanting to justify hoovering up even more young talent and hoarding them in gigantic reserve squads.

There are no more emergency loans allowed. There will still be season-long loans, but then you're committing your youngsters to a lower-league side for a long period and that might not be desirable.

There was an additional category previously called the "youth loan" but I've no idea how the new rules apply to that.

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I suspect it's more because they know they can get loan time for their players whenever they want it anyway... 

Isn't it season loans only now, or doesn't that apply to U21s?

Edit: what @Carl Sagan said.

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

There are no more emergency loans allowed. There will still be season-long loans, but then you're committing your youngsters to a lower-league side for a long period and that might not be desirable.

There was an additional category previously called the "youth loan" but I've no idea how the new rules apply to that.

Don't get me started on the closure on the emergency loan window. FIFA should've been told to get ****** and keep their noses out of our domestic game. The cheek of corrupt officials at FIFA lecturing us on loan rules that hurt the "sporting integrity" of the game is one of the most hypocritical things I've ever heard.

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

Don't get me started on the closure on the emergency loan window. FIFA should've been told to get ****** and keep their noses out of our domestic game. The cheek of corrupt officials at FIFA lecturing us on loan rules that hurt the "sporting integrity" of the game is one of the most hypocritical things I've ever heard.

What's the name for the football equivalent of a kipper?

;)

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Isn't it season loans only now, or doesn't that apply to U21s?

Edit: what @Carl Sagan said.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/12162020/Football-League-bypasses-Fifa-emergency-loan-ban.html

This is from a while ago BUT suggests that there are contracted ways around this... Similar to the deal/agreement we had with Rotherham when we brought Rawson back for a couple of U-21 games... Loan for a year but they don't have to spend their whole time there if they aren't getting games?

11 hours ago, Anon said:

The difference:- They will not be playing with players of generally less ability, they will be with their clubs U21 side. They will however for just a few games come up against many adult players who are more physically developed. They will have to learn to compete with physically stronger players in the same way that they would have to if they suddenly found themselves in the first team playing in the Premier League or Championship.

There are some decent teams in the two lower leagues that play football, they are not all filled with as you say 'journeymen'. It will be a worthwhile experience for the U21 teams and for the lower league sides.

7 hours ago, bcnram said:

The difference:- They will not be playing with players of generally less ability, they will be with their clubs U21 side. They will however for just a few games come up against many adult players who are more physically developed. They will have to learn to compete with physically stronger players in the same way that they would have to if they suddenly found themselves in the first team playing in the Premier League or Championship.

There are some decent teams in the two lower leagues that play football, they are not all filled with as you say 'journeymen'. It will be a worthwhile experience for the U21 teams and for the lower league sides.

The logic of that argument is inconsistent. You say yourself that lower league players are "of generally less ability" before contradicting yourself in the very next paragraph. Personally, I agree more with the second paragraph. There are plenty of decent players in the lower leagues in teams who are capable of playing good football, which is why I find it so bizarre that some top clubs and the FA are seeking to introduce U21 teams to lower league competitions rather than loan players to allow them play alongside and learn from those players.

I'm presuming all types of loans are still possible if started inside the window. Would expect a lot of loans to now run from July to January then be renewed after. Will mean a really frantic deadline day. Also the youth loan/work experience loop hole for younger players could still apply. What we'll probably see is a lot more players at a younger age/lower ability heading to non-league for a month or 2.

Archived