Derby to take part in EFL Trophy

Srg

58 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

It's being reported on talksport that manure intend to decline the invitation to participate in this competition.

If that becomes more widespread,  then what for the new format? 

Spurs also declined now. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, muzzamurray said:

are we in boys? we gonna win a trophy?

just thinking since spurs and manure have declined, maybe we will get the nod?

If we get an invite now, we ought to be mature about it...............

....and tell 'em to shove it as we've made other arrangements now!

4 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The only game that currently is at Wembley, that shouldn't is the FA Cup semis. Cheapens the final, and costs fans double if they progress to the final.

Why not have it at a neutral big ground like it used to be? Old Trafford or Villa Park, for example.

Absolutely agree. I have no problem with the "lesser" competitions having their final at Wembley but not semi-finals. 

Invites went to the 15 Premier League teams with Category 1 academies. Newcastle were given the final place due to their first team finishing half a dozen places ahead of us in the pyramid.

Sadly Norwich, Villa and Brighton also finished above us and are Category 1 so they presumably get first dibs in that order if there are two more places. It would be a sickener for our boys not to take part considering, of the U21 teams invited into the tournament, they finished above:

• Arsenal
  • Swansea
  • (Villa)
  • West Brom
  • West Ham
  • Stoke
  • Newcastle
  • (Brighton)

10 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The only game that currently is at Wembley, that shouldn't is the FA Cup semis. Cheapens the final, and costs fans double if they progress to the final.

Why not have it at a neutral big ground like it used to be? Old Trafford or Villa Park, for example.

I used to hold that view Animal is a Ram but if you make it to the semis of FA Cup it is the only venue apart from Man Utd that can hold the crowd expected. Given the choice of Wembley or Old Trafford, it is a no brainer for the players or fans. The only other option is watching it on TV. Pays a bit off the Wembley bills. 

Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all out.  Man Utd and Liverpool expected to follow suit.

Championship teams with top level u21 teams expected to be invited instead.

It's looking like a bit of a shambles - I am amazed they announced this without getting the relevant teams on board beforehand.

On 07/07/2016 at 21:16, Rampage said:

I used to hold that view Animal is a Ram but if you make it to the semis of FA Cup it is the only venue apart from Man Utd that can hold the crowd expected. Given the choice of Wembley or Old Trafford, it is a no brainer for the players or fans. The only other option is watching it on TV. Pays a bit off the Wembley bills. 

This is mainly true but does depend who gets through.  Some of the semis at neutral grounds in late 80s weren't sell outs. Wimbledon spring to mind.

Now that there are grounds like emirates,  etihad and the Olympic Park there should be more to choose from. 

Heck we've got enough good stadia to host a world cup......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36763761

Man city out too... How many before we might get the invite?

Manchester City will not field a team in the 2016-17 Football League Trophy.

City are one of 16 clubs invited to enter an under-21 team in the competition - previously known as the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - due to their category one academy status.

They agree with the concept but early rounds of the competition clash with international Under-21 games.

Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool are all expected to decline the chance too.

But Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland and Swansea are among the clubs who will accept their invitation.

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

If we do, I sincerely hope we turn it down out of principle.

I don't... It'll be good for the u21s to get more games and to play against some bigger, harder players... Did you read what Callum Guy said about his loan? Said it was a step up playing against actual adults rather than teenagers...

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't... It'll be good for the u21s to get more games and to play against some bigger, harder players... Did you read what Callum Guy said about his loan? Said it was a step up playing against actual adults rather than teenagers...

Not about what it does for the U21s, I'm just not a fan of what it does to the competition and I imagine that's @Anons stance also.

If we got invited and did take part It'd be an interesting experiment as to the difference in level. Genuinely wouldn't know if it would be surprising for one of the U21 teams to win it or not.

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't care. I'm not approaching this as a Derby fan, but a football fan in general. This destroys the integrity of the football league trophy and is the first step towards Premiership B teams competing in our league system.

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not about what it does for the U21s, I'm just not a fan of what it does to the competition and I imagine that's @Anons stance also.

If we got invited and did take part It'd be an interesting experiment as to the difference in level. Genuinely wouldn't know if it would be surprising for one of the U21 teams to win it or not.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't care. I'm not approaching this as a Derby fan, but a football fan in general. This destroys the integrity of the football league trophy and is the first step towards Premiership B teams competing in our league system.

The competition is like 33 years old... It's not some ancient and noble tradition... It's a cup which was set up because lower league clubs were fed up of the higher level teams having longer cup runs and therefore more games to sell tickets to!

So I guess actually in the noble tradition of football clubs trying to screw their fans out of as much money as they possibly can we probably should try and maintain it as it is... Ooooo but on the flip side with more teams in there will be more rounds and therefore potentially more games for clubs to get people to pay for...

Hmmmm....

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The competition is like 33 years old... It's not some ancient and noble tradition... It's a cup which was set up because lower league clubs were fed up of the higher level teams having longer cup runs and therefore more games to sell tickets to!

So I guess actually in the noble tradition of football clubs trying to screw their fans out of as much money as they possibly can we probably should try and maintain it as it is... Ooooo but on the flip side with more teams in there will be more rounds and therefore potentially more games for clubs to get people to pay for...

Hmmmm....

It's not about the tradition of the cup for me, I couldn't give a monkeys if the cup was cancelled forever. I don't care about any of the teams involved, and I doubt Derby's ever going to be competing in it.

My big issue with it is that it's a clear foot in the door towards getting an English version of "B" teams in the lower leagues, which would be ****. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Explained earlier in the thread we're fourth in line for an extra invite after Norwich, Villa and Brighton.

If invited it would be good for the academy to accept.

...but bad for football.

Archived