Derby to take part in EFL Trophy

Srg

2 minutes ago, bcnram said:

You cannot stop playing in competitions because you may or may not get injured, that's a tad daft.

I thought the idea was that these players were back up for the first team but they can't do that if they are injured because of too many physical battles against league opposition 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, curtains said:

I thought the idea was that these players were back up for the first team but they can't do that if they are injured because of too many physical battles against league opposition 

Young players do exist in the lower leagues too. Just because you're a young player coming up against a League Two centre back doesn't mean you're going to pick up injuries just like that.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Young players do exist in the lower leagues too. Just because you're a young player coming up against a League Two centre back doesn't mean you're going to pick up injuries just like that.

I mean we already have Zanzala injured .

The tougher the competition the more the likelihood of injuries that's why some clubs don't play competitive reserve games etc. 

They need their reserves fresh  as back up to the first team in a long season .

I suppose once again it's a balancing act  

25 minutes ago, curtains said:

They are being developed as players, part of that development is being able to deal with different types of football. Some teams in the two lower divisions may be more physical than they would get playing against other U21/23's, but some of them play good football.

By the same token, it helps the teams in Leagues 1 & 2,coming up against more skillful players than they normally would. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

So when they are in the first team against Championship teams are they not going to come against many physical battles? What about against Ipswich?

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

So when they are in the first team against Championship teams are they not going to come against many physical battles? What about against Ipswich?

Yes but the idea is you bring one or two in slowly. 

Just had a thought though no emergency loans after August. How will that effect us with injuries in key positions. Same for all clubs though. 

17 minutes ago, curtains said:

Just had a thought though no emergency loans after August. How will that effect us with injuries in key positions. Same for all clubs though. 

The same it would if they were out on loan to gain experience, can't see much of a difference. Playing in a competitive game, against league one or 2 players. Where do you think most of our under 21's would go on loan to?

45 minutes ago, curtains said:

But isn't this bringing them in slowly? 3 games, not like it is a full season?

What's the difference between playing a young player against any team in any division? If they are good enough, they are good enough, and this gives us a better idea overall who is good enough and who isn't than a loan, we can see how they prepare, how they react to the situations of the match, what they are like in the dressing rooms.

No loans should not affect us. Our squad is big enough to cope, bar multiple injuries in the same position. We didn't have a single player on loan last season.

On 27/07/2016 at 10:34, Srg said:

"If group fixtures are level at 90 minutes, a penalty shoot-out will take place to earn the winner an extra point."

Uh oh.

So you get 2 points for drawing.

Great news for any Portuguese players 

Dreadful decision to take part in this compition. I hope no one turns up and it gets scrapped even before its complete. for the 1st time ever as a Rams fan I couldn't give 2 s**** if we get beat in every game. Leave this competition to the lower league teams. 

Well, I've bought my ticket for the Grimsby game and am really looking forward to it. As far as I see it I get a chance to watch some of our up and comings in a tournament that will test them in a decent competitive environment. To an extenet I feel a bit sorry for some lower league clubs who see this as a chance for some silver ware and a trip to Wembley and may now end up facing certain "youth" teams from the Prem .. Any takers for front lines like Rashford, Lindgard and Januzaj. ! Anyway I am going to watch a footy match with the Rams playing and hoping to spot some talent. Politics at this point doesn't bother me for what is essentially an experiment. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Well, I've bought my ticket for the Grimsby game and am really looking forward to it. As far as I see it I get a chance to watch some of our up and comings in a tournament that will test them in a decent competitive environment. To an extenet I feel a bit sorry for some lower league clubs who see this as a chance for some silver ware and a trip to Wembley and may now end up facing certain "youth" teams from the Prem .. Any takers for front lines like Rashford, Lindgard and Januzaj. ! Anyway I am going to watch a footy match with the Rams playing and hoping to spot some talent. Politics at this point doesn't bother me for what is essentially an experiment. 

You make some good points Jono especially about lower league clubs but IMO and speaking from experience, lower league clubs and the majority of their fans treat the JPT the same as Prem clubs and their fans treat the League / FA Cups. Only ramping it up in the latter stages. It shouldn't really be that bigger deal. The urine-taking  comes when some clubs get byes in the first rounds yet most have to put on a fixture and compete, a ridiculous set of circumstances that further devalues the competition. I believe this new format will eradicate this.

I've been to lots of early round JPT games and they are like pre season friendlies with crowds (a contradiction in terms) of about 3 blokes and a greyhound. I went to a semi final a few years back with some Oldham fans and it still felt like a friendly!

The competition desperately needs some impetus and refreshment there is little doubt about that and at least this new format will give it that. Whether it's the best solution i'm not so sure but it's something different and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'll be attending anyway and supporting the lads.

11 minutes ago, jono said:

@Rich84Now I am really confused ! .. I thought the EFL cup or trophy were the same thing and what for a while has been the Johnson Paints Trophy ? But rebranded ? .., The League Cup is entirely different ? 

The EFL cup is the new name of the league cup, previously known as the Capital 1 cup, coca cola cup, Worthington cup, Carling cup, Milk cup, littlwoods challenge cup and the rumbelows cup.

The EFL trophy is now the name of the football league trophy previously known as the Johnstone paint trophy.

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks @rynny

I think in part I got confused because on the fixture list they now show cups seperately from the main calendar.

and there is and no mention of this new fangled trophy ( I need thick persons or Duhhh  emoji ) 

anyway I going to the Grimsby game and 7 quid is a fair price for a ticket :) 

Thanks again

19 minutes ago, jono said:

Thanks @rynny

I think in part I got confused because on the fixture list they now show cups seperately from the main calendar.

and there is and no mention of this new fangled trophy ( I need thick persons or Duhhh  emoji ) 

anyway I going to the Grimsby game and 7 quid is a fair price for a ticket :) 

Thanks again

No mention likely because it's not a first team game, in theory.

Archived