Sheffield United v Derby County

AmericanRam

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Was anyone else really impressed with Blackman's penalty? One of the best penalty's I've seen in a long time lol 

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I was. Drafted a post last night to that effect but for some reason didn't hit "send".

Top corner, keeper sent wrong way......very "die mannschaft"!

I agree, one thing that I thought is that a striker who puts it in the top corner on a penalty is confident. Hopefully this means Blackman has settled into the squad...

Or Im looking into this far too much

Quality penalty... but hasn't there been a law change that makes Blackman's stuttering run up an infringement, resulting in a yellow card and the awarding of an indirect free kick to the oppo? :unsure:

Imagine that happening in a match with some of the overly officious refs that we seem to end up with!!!!

4 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Quality penalty... but hasn't there been a law change that makes Blackman's stuttering run up an infringement, resulting in a yellow card and the awarding of an indirect free kick to the oppo? :unsure:

Imagine that happening in a match with some of the overly officious refs that we seem to end up with!!!!

Without reading the rule, I think the rule is actually pretending to take it i.e. swinging your leg, not the act of stuttering. Could be wrong though.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Without reading the rule, I think the rule is actually pretending to take it i.e. swinging your leg, not the act of stuttering. Could be wrong though.

It is that. Stuttering your run up isn't against the rules, actively faking a swing now is.

Blackman looked like someone who has had some good man management,arm put round him and a bit of belief put in him,rather than being beaten with a stick..

He looked like he would make something happen  everytime he got the ball in that 2nd half,him and Ince were our biggest threat even though we actually created no clear chances.

6 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

He looked like he would make something happen  everytime he got the ball in that 2nd half, him and Ince were our biggest threat even though we actually created no clear chances.

Lol!

Just out of interest, has anyone that has been to any of the pre season games noticed any change to the style/pattern of play under Pearson?

I know he is experimenting formation wise but are we still playing the dominating possession/intricate passing formula as under McClaren, Clement and, to a more limited extent, Wassall, or are people starting to notice a significant difference? 

Was just a typical pre season game, very boring and players looked scared of getting injured, Blackmans pen was very good, ince was the standout player

I was at the game last night and I don't feel it was as bad as some, including Owen Bradley, would lead us to believe. It was a typical pre season friendly with most of the play in the middle of the park and not a lot to speak of in front of either goal.

The positives I saw last night:

Bradley Johnson - while I don't think his position should be the base of a diamond he played it well last night. Broke up play, passed it sensibly and was a presence. He looked forward more often than not and I saw him tell Butters and Will to get further up the pitch when they were dropping back to take the ball off of him. 

Hughes and Butterfield - usual tidy selves in midfield without ever creating anything. Some exhibition skills from Will second half. I was calling for his bath and bed when some fiesty challenges and sharp elbows were flying around. 

Blackman - was direct with his running and took his penalty well. Better service and he could've/should've had more goals.

The opposition - much different outfit to the soft Sheffied Utd of last season, they made it a competitive match and our players will be better for the 90minutes.

Roll on 6 August.

6 hours ago, Mos_Ram said:

I was at the game last night and I don't feel it was as bad as some, including Owen Bradley, would lead us to believe. It was a typical pre season friendly with most of the play in the middle of the park and not a lot to speak of in front of either goal.

The positives I saw last night:

Bradley Johnson - while I don't think his position should be the base of a diamond he played it well last night. Broke up play, passed it sensibly and was a presence. He looked forward more often than not and I saw him tell Butters and Will to get further up the pitch when they were dropping back to take the ball off of him. 

Hughes and Butterfield - usual tidy selves in midfield without ever creating anything. Some exhibition skills from Will second half. I was calling for his bath and bed when some fiesty challenges and sharp elbows were flying around. 

Blackman - was direct with his running and took his penalty well. Better service and he could've/should've had more goals.

The opposition - much different outfit to the soft Sheffied Utd of last season, they made it a competitive match and our players will be better for the 90minutes.

Roll on 6 August.

Can't disagree with much but surely you must off seen Johnson miss place plenty off his passes, he broke up play superb but the amount of times he gave it away was ridiculous

Archived