Will we sign anybody?

oldtimeram

2 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Does Mel actually want to get promotion though? Said last season that it wasn't a priority and no signings this window suggests that too. 

I think he definitely wants promotion but it's the way we go about it. 

I think we will go mostly with what we have as it makes sense now because of the extra Premier League money inflating transfer fees beyond most Championship clubs although I see Wolves might have some money. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, curtains said:

We can't it's as simple as that really and in a buyers market we will have to sell the likes of Hendrick cheaper because we haven't got the Premier League cash and we have had our fingers burned already with Johnson and Butterfield according to a lot of posters on here  .

Can we afford the Bristol City lad we are supposedly  after though .

I doubt it without significant outgoings. 

After all Mel Morris can only do so much and 13 Million for Joe Allen and 16 Million for Jordon Ibe and 30 Million for Benteke is mad. 

You're quoting players that are way out of our league mate, seems a bit pointless really. If you drop down a division and have a look at realistic players then I'd see your argument. Don't worry about what Stoke City are doing, they're twice the team we are in a better league. We more than likely can afford Kodjia but just like our Hendrick situation it's going to cost a hell of a lot of money so there's no point, we're better off looking elsewhere. Bristol City do not need to sell and why should they. 

17 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

I'm glad your happy with us getting left behind in the market while our rivals strengthen. 

Seriously? 

Why are we getting left behind?

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

You're quoting players that are way out of our league mate, seems a bit pointless really. If you drop down a division and have a look at realistic players then I'd see your argument. Don't worry about what Stoke City are doing, they're twice the team we are in a better league. We more than likely can afford Kodjia but just like our Hendrick situation it's going to cost a hell of a lot of money so there's no point, we're better off looking elsewhere. Bristol City do not need to sell and why should they. 

Seriously? 

Why are we getting left behind?

Last thought on this. 

I trust Mel and Sam and the club to do the best they can for DCFC. 

Up the Rams .

PS  Good luck Jake Buxton. 

The way I see it is we have missed out two seasons on the trot ,Mel has now quite rightly gone for experience in NP and changed from a Head Coach to Manager  a switch in thinking .

He would be mad to compound our previous quantity over quality transfer policy without NP having a good assessment.

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I think he definitely wants promotion but it's the way we go about it. 

I think we will go mostly with what we have as it makes sense now because of the extra Premier League money inflating transfer fees beyond most Championship clubs although I see Wolves might have some money. 

If so that's another club who's going to crowd out the top 6 and make it more difficult for us to get promotion. Supranational football authorities have proved they have no backbone in enforcing FFP. Reality is we have to keep spending if we want to keep up. If we don't we'll get left behind. Seems a few on here are happy for that to happen if it doesn't mean criticising the owner. 

1 minute ago, CastletonRam said:

If so that's another club who's going to crowd out the top 6 and make it more difficult for us to get promotion. Supranational football authorities have proved they have no backbone in enforcing FFP. Reality is we have to keep spending if we want to keep up. If we don't we'll get left behind. Seems a few on here are happy for that to happen if it doesn't mean criticising the owner. 

Once again, can you suggest who we are being left behind by?

Just now, CastletonRam said:

Honestly mate I think it's just the reality of the situation and I don't think we could in any way criticise Mel Morris apart from behing  a bit naive at times .

He has the best interests of DCFC at heart I'm sure of that. 

Its just the way we go about it. 

This season will be interesting with Pearson and Powell in charge. 

37 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

I'm glad your happy with us getting left behind in the market while our rivals strengthen. 

If we ask enough will you actually answer the question rather than avoid it?

Who are we getting left behind by?

Didn't MM say we want to tighten up transfer gossip leaks?  If so we're doing a good job!  Either that or nothing really is happening...

That said, someone on another Derby forum is saying the Chester deal is done.  Personally I take everything with a pinch of salt until its confirmed but it would be a bit of a coup imo.

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I am starting to wonder if we will actually sign anyone of significance before the season starts.  We may bring in a youngster or two for the U21s but I am doubting we will sign anyone for the first team.

SDSR, do you have any snippets to share?  I would have also included Mackworth Ram,  but he has left the building ;)

I think not.

1 hour ago, CastletonRam said:

Does Mel actually want to get promotion though? Said last season that it wasn't a priority and no signings this window suggests that too. 

He said it wasn't the main priority, the ultimate goal is to get promotion but not at all costs.

I don't see this obsession with " when will sign someone " ? Who will sign ? We're getting left behind ! Nonsense! 

We've got the best squad we've had since I can remember  (i am only 30 never the less ) , we invested a he'll if a lot of money last year on players who we are yet to see the best from . The only place I thought we might be a bit light was right back but Baird doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  If bucko reluctantly goes we might need another body in but let's just relax and trust the club . There's one thing we've learnt from this regime is that they won't see us go short ! 

Now that 3 centre backs have left, I'd say it's pretty certain we'll be signing one.

Shackell and Keogh with Pearce and Rawson as back up....I'm sure we can't go into the season like that.

Lets not kid ourselves about Baird, Forsyth or any other bit part fill in centre half either. Not going to be viable.

Archived