James Chester - Signed for Villa

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like lazy journalism to me. Only 14  appearances + WBA looking for new centre back + Used to play for Pearson = Absolute guess work. 

That being said, I hope I'm completely wrong because I think he's absolutely class. Even with my love of Keogh, Chester and Shacks might just leak them less couple of goals over a season.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think if we have 6 mill to spend I would spend it on a striker with pace, think we are ok in the centre back department, Keogh/Shackell partnership one of the best in the division....

Not if you're planning on playing with 3?

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Chester only played 14 times for west broom last season so maybe looking to raise some cash for another CB like Dunk as they've bod for him. Could be a good aquisition 

If I was WBA I wouldn't swap the main man for Dunk as you suggest, i'd maybe offer Farmer Barleymow or Aunt Flo instead?

I was very impressed with him in the Euro's. I actually thought to myself that he's the one player I'd like to sign if possible. Didn't and still don't believe we can.

He would raise the quality of our squad considerably.

On club all, I read this "Rams boss Pearson signed Chester for Hull in 2011 for £300,000 and played a big part in developing his talent as a fearless centre-back with a reputation for being a big aerial threat from set pieces."

Since our aerial threat on set pieces has been a big fat zero unless Bradley Johnson or Jake Buxton are sniffing around the box I'd definitely think this is a major step up from either shacks or Keogh. Fearless AND effective we don't have. Chester is looking for guaranteed first team football and who can blame him after being kept out at WBA and seeing how recently we acquire players who barely play and many just get put to pasture  (except for Olsson). Do it.

If Bucko is likely to move on, Leeds are interested in Pearce and we had our CB options as Keogh, Shackell, Chester and Rawson for the start of the season. I'd see that as a step forward. He can play anchor for the midfield too. He's a player we could really do with. I'd imagine he'll interest Premiership sides if he's available though

I know Rawson apparently did well at Rotherham ( I didn't see much of him there) but I think too many people seem to want us to put trust in him to be one of our 3/4 centre halfs next year.

i think Warnock sent him back for a reason, not saying he won't be a star. I just think we should be aiming higher for this up coming season 

1 hour ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

I know Rawson apparently did well at Rotherham ( I didn't see much of him there) but I think too many people seem to want us to put trust in him to be one of our 3/4 centre halfs next year.

i think Warnock sent him back for a reason, not saying he won't be a star. I just think we should be aiming higher for this up coming season 

Warnock didn't send him back. We cancelled the loan and brought him back to the club.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Warnock didn't send him back. We cancelled the loan and brought him back to the club.

That's fair enough I didn't realise, still don't think he really played under Warnock regardless, although I could be wrong on that.

if we aren't signing another centre half then I'd much prefer to keep bucko or use Pearce rather than rely on rawson yet. 

Much prefer to to send him out on loan again, gain some more experience of first team football. Perhaps under clough, knowing we wouldn't really be challenging for promotion id have given him a chance this season!!

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Only because Warnock didn't play him as he didn't see him to good enough for the relegation battle. There was no point in keeping him on loan there when he wasn't playing. I have no doubt that Rawson will be a good player in the future but it's not fair on the lad if we get an injury and we are all expecting him to be the next Maldini because it won't happen. He is only going to get better if he plays consistently which he won't here. Personally think we should loan him out for the first half of the season to let him have more experience, Burton would be ideal because he'd be easily able to commute to play in the under 21 premier league games.

7 minutes ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

That's fair enough I didn't realise, still don't think he really played under Warnock regardless, although I could be wrong on that.

if we aren't signing another centre half then I'd much prefer to keep bucko or use Pearce rather than rely on rawson yet. 

Much prefer to to send him out on loan again, gain some more experience of first team football. Perhaps under clough, knowing we wouldn't really be challenging for promotion id have given him a chance this season!!

Disagree. Rawson is better cover than Buxton and Pearce and he's far younger. We need to think about the future too and how he still has some developing to do and there's no reason for him not to become a strong centre half in the first team. He's quick powerful a good header of the ball. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

he's got to cut his teeth some time. understudy to 3 quality championship CBs should improve him no end, good challenge, and if he can't keep up, then we'll cross that bridge and all that 

Have you ever seen Rawson play. 

He is not ready yet. 

He struggled at Rotherham after a while in the Championship.  

I watched him in the 1-1 draw at Mickleover Friday night. 

Buxton will be a big loss if we are relying on Rawson. 

Rawson doesn't look very mobile to me. 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Have you ever seen him play. 

He is not ready yet. 

So sitting down to watch 90 mins of Rotherham games, what would you objectively say he lacks?

When he was keeping clean sheets at Rotherham was he being carried? Why did the manager keep picking him if so?

he'll be 4th choice, and if he int ready, then have a look for somebody who is..... or maybe we just loan Pearce out, if he's happy to comply. Nobody is ready until they have a chance, lets see him. i'll admit i have seen hardly anything of him, but we need to bring players through and he is one of the hottest prospects. all im saying

5 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

So sitting down to watch 90 mins of Rotherham games, what would you objectively say he lacks?

I haven't watched his Rotherham games but I've heard reports from Rotherham fans.

Seen him loads thought in Derby U 21 games and nothing stands out yet with him.  

Hes not very mobile in my eyes.  

Looks a bit cumbersome . 

Passing needs improving as does his positional play. 

Hes simply not ready yet for our first team week in week out for a promotion push. 

Buxton is so much better at the moment .

Archived