Have we got to Sell before we can Buy

Curtains

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still say what I said many many months ago FFP is more of a problem for us than the Club are admiting. Hence the so far lack of transfer movements so far this summer. Combine this with a now very large wage bill, & we will need to sell before we can really buy. Pearson will know he has to get the best out of what he already has, let's hope they now deliver.

8 minutes ago, TETRA said:

I still say what I said many many months ago FFP is more of a problem for us than the Club are admiting. Hence the so far lack of transfer movements so far this summer. Combine this with a now very large wage bill, & we will need to sell before we can really buy. Pearson will know he has to get the best out of what he already has, let's hope they now deliver.

They want to assess a squad which was expensive but didn't play to its potential under previous management. It's an already large squad which doesn't need adding to before others are moved on but they need to be assed first. I trust the money people to handle the money side of things.

3 hours ago, JW37 said:

They want to assess a squad which was expensive but didn't play to its potential under previous management. It's an already large squad which doesn't need adding to before others are moved on but they need to be assed first. I trust the money people to handle the money side of things.

Yes I agree with all that. But I still say whatever Mel said to the contrary, he rolled the dice last summer when it came to spending in a huge attempt to make the Prem. Unfortunately the gamble didn't pay off, but let's see if Mr Pearson can get what WAS expected from Mel's big investment in players. 

I don't like the habit Derby seem to have of giving some new players very long contracts though. If they fail to show what was expected from them they can sometimes be extremley difficult to move on.

9 minutes ago, TETRA said:

Yes I agree with all that. But I still say whatever Mel said to the contrary, he rolled the dice last summer when it came to spending in a huge attempt to make the Prem. Unfortunately the gamble didn't pay off, but let's see if Mr Pearson can get what WAS expected from Mel's big investment in players. 

I don't like the habit Derby seem to have of giving some new players very long contracts though. If they fail to show what was expected from them they can sometimes be extremley difficult to move on.

The whole process in which Derby scout and sign players seems strange to me with the long contracts and high fees as you say. It's been quite poor for a while with the likes of: Albentosa, Shotton, Blackman, Camara, Baird, Weimann, Pearce and probably more being signed for high fees and/or high wages without apparently fitting the system of any of the managers they've played under here, which shows a distinct lack of scouting and planning. Hopefully, with the extra time being spent to assess during this window players are being scouted properly and shortlists being made up for positions in which they fit and which are needed in the first team system.

29 minutes ago, TETRA said:

The appointment of Wassall guaranteed until the end of the season goes against this. If it was a massive gamble/roll of the dice to reach the Prem, then we'd have been better off either sticking with Clement or bringing Pearson in then to get us over the line. So I don't think we were close to the limit but we clearly have restricted our future wriggle room.

What is incredible is that we have now sold three good centre halves in Bucko, Albentosa and Shotton yet still have Shackell, Keogh, Pearce, Rawson, Forsyth, Baird and Hanson (seven players!) who are capable of playing there. That is a sign of the previous idiocy of the squad and how unsustainable things had become. Just in one position. We could happily do the same in other positions.

So, it's great to have sold for morale to keep players happier as they're closer to the first team and feel they have a chance, and because it makes us a closer knit group. It also take significant money off the wagebill which frees up a lot more space in FFP. For me it's better to bring in a couple of top players on bigger wages who would walk into the team and everyone at the club can respect and learn from rather than spread those wages across lots of players who may get a place on the bench as has been our recent recruitment strategy.

I still expect Jeff to be sold for £8m+ in which case we will be in one of the very strongest financial positions in the league regarding FFP. It's terrific to be financially secure so we don't end up selling prize assets for peanuts, but when central midfield contenders are Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Hanson, Guy, Elsnick it shows we would also benefit from a reduction in numbers in that area.

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The appointment of Wassall guaranteed until the end of the season goes against this. If it was a massive gamble/roll of the dice to reach the Prem, then we'd have been better off either sticking with Clement or bringing Pearson in then to get us over the line. So I don't think we were close to the limit but we clearly have restricted our future wriggle room.

What is incredible is that we have now sold three good centre halves in Bucko, Albentosa and Shotton yet still have Shackell, Keogh, Pearce, Rawson, Forsyth, Baird and Hanson (seven players!) who are capable of playing there. That is a sign of the previous idiocy of the squad and how unsustainable things had become. Just in one position. We could happily do the same in other positions.

So, it's great to have sold for morale to keep players happier as they're closer to the first team and feel they have a chance, and because it makes us a closer knit group. It also take significant money off the wagebill which frees up a lot more space in FFP. For me it's better to bring in a couple of top players on bigger wages who would walk into the team and everyone at the club can respect and learn from rather than spread those wages across lots of players who may get a place on the bench as has been our recent recruitment strategy.

I still expect Jeff to be sold for £8m+ in which case we will be in one of the very strongest financial positions in the league regarding FFP. It's terrific to be financially secure so we don't end up selling prize assets for peanuts, but when central midfield contenders are Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Butterfield, Johnson, Hanson, Guy, Elsnick it shows we would also benefit from a reduction in numbers in that area.

It will be all very interested to see our next set of published accounts for last season, it's beginning to seem that they won't look very good. I just hope I'm wrong on that.

I'm just a little concerned that should Pearson fail to get more out of what should be very much better consistent quality from the existing squad he has over the first six weeks of next season, what happen's then ?. But in fairness to Pearson, if he can't get them to do so then no one can.

On 26/07/2016 at 16:23, Carl Sagan said:

Thing is the FFP is assessed against the 2015/2016 season and any transfer ban is made on that basis. Money coming in now for Jeff would only affect our 2016/2017 accounts 

I am a bit worried about FFP too

On 22/07/2016 at 06:35, curtains said:

With all this speculation about Hendrick and Russell is it a case of  

1  We need   some funds  before we can buy . 

2  FFP is a problem 

3  Players want to leave  and player agents are at work  

I think Pearson is looking at the players he's got, and working out if they can give him the commitment he wants and needs! I don't think he'll have problems with funds if he needs the odd player to improve the team!

14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I wouldn't imagine Pearson would have taken the job if there wasn't any money to spend.

I predict a busy end to the transfer window.

It makes sense to creative a togetherness with the players already there, then only in proper match situations can we see what is needed.

Depends how much Mel offered him in terms of wages and how much confidence he has in his own managerial ability.

It's not exactly he is taking over a team full of poor players who have no hope.

Also think it's time you changed your username to MackworthRamIsGone

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

This must be the least activity ever. 

Buxton and Shotton gone. 

No incomings is a disappointment for me .

With that comment in italics are you quoting someone???

There's another three weeks til the window shuts so plenty of time to bring in reinforcements IF Big Nige thinks we require them.  If you read any league preview not one of them says we lack quality or require immediate work on the team so they're either all wrong or we do have a talented squad.  I'm tempted to believe the latter...

I'd expect a couple more to either be sold or loaned out though.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Buxton and Shotton gone. 

I'm not sure why, the market has gone mad and to bring someone in who would be better than what we have currently got would require some serious money.

I personally think the best value for money is going to be when the PL announce their squads for this season, and that's when we may see us make moves in the transfer market. 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Buxton and Shotton gone. 

I'm partly disappointed because everyone loves a bit of transfer excitement, but partly curious to see how certain signings we made last season that weren't given much of a chance turn out under NP. Plus we have a full season of Hughes and the return of the Foz which are as good as new signings.

2 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

With that comment in italics are you quoting someone???

There's another three weeks til the window shuts so plenty of time to bring in reinforcements IF Big Nige thinks we require them.  If you read any league preview not one of them says we lack quality or require immediate work on the team so they're either all wrong or we do have a talented squad.  I'm tempted to believe the latter...

I'd expect a couple more to either be sold or loaned out though.

I can't see us scoring a lot of goals with the squad we have.

I am underwhelmed at the moment. 

Archived