Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I always feel happy when I know Johnny Russell is available to bring on from the bench.

I would sell for the right amount and use the money to replace with  the lad from west brom if those rumours are true. Otherwise no point in selling.

Is McManaman even better than Russell though? I've seen quite a few on here who've suggested we sign him and I can't see why. :unsure:

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we sell him and Hendrick we could get a fee of around £10m for the pair. That could get us a quality player. We don't need a player that works hard without any end product. We need quality. When we played Middlesbrough, burnley and other top teams we missed a fast top quality finisher. 

Just now, Derbyram1983 said:

If we sell him and Hendrick we could get a fee of around £10m for the pair. That could get us a quality player. We don't need a player that works hard without any end product. We need quality. When we played Middlesbrough, burnley and other top teams we missed a fast top quality finisher. 

What is your definition of end product?

22 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Having passion and swinging your boot at a ball that could have gone anywhere, but happened to land in the top corner of the net against the Red Dogs ( and wasn't even a match winner, the game was won by then) aren't justification for keeping Russell. He isn't as bad as Tito Villa was but he's in that mould - runs around a lot with too little end product. He's not a top end championship winger and , like Hendrick, we don't see enough decent performances from him over a season. I'd be happy to see him go. Maybe we don't need to sell players, but maybe we do if we want to bring flesh blood in. I'd suggest we do need some fresh blood because this squad have come up short when the going has got tough

Only 6 players had more assists than him, and only 22 players scored more than him in the whole division.

As for playing on the wing, Russell and Ince both scored the same amount from the wings, 9 each, and no other player scored more. As for assists 2 other players had the same success as Russell, 8 each and they were Clucas for Hull and Josh Murphy for MKD.

Russell is up there with the best players in the league for end product and compared to other wingers he has more goals and assists combined than any other, and no player has more than him in either category.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Only 6 players had more assists than him, and only 22 players scored more than him in the whole division.

As for playing on the wing, Russell and Ince both scored the same amount from the wings, 9 each, and no other player scored more. As for assists 2 other players had the same success as Russell, 8 each and they were Clucas for Hull and Josh Murphy for MKD.

Russell is up there with the best players in the league for end product and compared to other wingers he has more goals and assists combined than any other, and no player has more than him in either category.

I personally thing Russell is a great player... 

But then I'm biased because I like wingers who score and create goals... It's this funny little quirk I have...

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I personally thing Russell is a great player... 

But then I'm biased because I like wingers who score and create goals... It's this funny little quirk I have...

What?! So you wouldn't be happy if we sold him for cheap and replaced him with a winger who's scored the same number of goals in his whole career as Johnny has in the past 2 seasons like McManaman, or another winger from the Championship who Johnny outperformed last season? You're crazy!

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

What?! So you wouldn't be happy if we sold him for cheap and replaced him with a winger who's scored the same number of goals in his whole career as Johnny has in the past 2 seasons like McManaman, or another winger from the Championship who Johnny outperformed last season? You're crazy!

No you see there's this thing you've missed out on here... which is that other team's players are better than ours... they just are... even if there's no proof to back that up and and the other team's fans say the player is a bit pony... actually they are MUCH better because we don't see them very often...

15 minutes ago, rynny said:

I hate it when people bring stats into it, as if they show anything.

He has zero end product, end of. ;)

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I hate it when people bring stats into it, as if they show anything.

He has zero end product, end of. ;)

Ahhhh no... See you're mistaking what 'end product' is... It's not goals scored or created... It's half time pies and tea... Russell has done a TERRIBLE job at delivering a decent and affordable end product for the last 3 seasons...

Lol, only 22 players scored more than him in the whole division, bloody hell he's a world beater.

Decidedly average, spends most the match with his right hand raised in the air apologising for losing the ball.

Smiles a lot though.

3 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Lol, only 22 players scored more than him in the whole division, bloody hell he's a world beater.

Decidedly average, spends most the match with his right hand raised in the air apologising for losing the ball.

Smiles a lot though.

22 players scoring more does sound like a lot, but of those 22 just 5 weren't strikers, Forestieri, Judge, Ince, Chery and Pilkington (although WhoScored suggests Pilkington played the majority of his games as a striker). 

I'm curious. By the sounds of it you'd be happy if he were sold, so would you replace him and if so, who would you bring in?

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

22 players scoring more does sound like a lot, but of those 22 just 5 weren't strikers, Forestieri, Judge, Ince, Chery and Pilkington (although WhoScored suggests Pilkington played the majority of his games as a striker). 

I'm curious. By the sounds of it you'd be happy if he were sold, so would you replace him and if so, who would you bring in?

Great question and I am also curious to see all these "let's sell" brigade come up with a decent replacement for the money

Not sure he needs replacing but £2 million for a player that adds nothing to the team unless we are already cruising is too good to turn down.

TBH if he went on a free I wouldn't mind, IMO he's a liability and is holding us back, rare good performance aside.

3 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Smiles a lot though.

Most teams play with 2 strikers, or a striker and 2 wide forwards, when you convert that into a number the minimum you get is 48, then you add in the midfielders who take set pieces, like Leadbitter, Whittingham etc. you have say around 60 players who would fancy themselves to be close to the divisions top scorer, and Russell is close to the top 1/3 of all players for goals, as a wide forward.

If you look at the amount of players that have played in the division, minus goalkeepers you have 695 players. 22/695 players. And of those players 371 scored a goal. 22/371 player. That is not a bad effort really, is it, when put into perspective.

Just now, Purpleram said:

Not sure he needs replacing but £2 million for a player that adds nothing to the team unless we are already cruising is too good to turn down.

TBH if he went on a free I wouldn't mind, IMO he's a liability and is holding us back, rare good performance aside.

But he does add something to the team, surely? If you offered most fans a winger who would score 10 and assist 8 during the course of a season, I'm sure they'd take that. Yes he has quite a few off days, but so does every Championship winger, that's why they're in the Championship. I personally would much rather have him in our side than playing for a Championship rival.

5 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Equaliser against Boro to gain 1 point

Equaliser against Birmingham (2 Points)

Assist against Preston in a 2-1 win (4 points)

Goal and assist in 4-2 win against Wolves (6 points)

Goal in 4-0 win against Bristol City (6 points)

Assist in 1-0 win against Ipswich (8 points)

Assist in 2-2 with Leeds (9 points)

Goal in 2-0 win against Huddersfield (9 points)

2 Goals and 2 assists in 4-1 against Bolton (12 points)

Goal in 1-0 win against Charlton (14 points)

Goal in 3-2 win against Bristol City (16 points)

Assist in 1-1 with Sheff Wed (17 points)

17 points added to our total through direct actions of Russell, not bad for a player that adds nothing to the team. 

11 minutes ago, rynny said:

Equaliser against Boro to gain 1 point

Equaliser against Birmingham (2 Points)

Assist against Preston in a 2-1 win (4 points)

Goal and assist in 4-2 win against Wolves (6 points)

Goal in 4-0 win against Bristol City (6 points)

Assist in 1-0 win against Ipswich (8 points)

Assist in 2-2 with Leeds (9 points)

Goal in 2-0 win against Huddersfield (9 points)

2 Goals and 2 assists in 4-1 against Bolton (12 points)

Goal in 1-0 win against Charlton (14 points)

Goal in 3-2 win against Bristol City (16 points)

Assist in 1-1 with Sheff Wed (17 points)

17 points added to our total through direct actions of Russell, not bad for a player that adds nothing to the team. 

I might be wrong in the way you totalled that up. But assuming you are counting a goal in a win as 3 points and an assist in a win as helping to get another 3 points. Then the total surely is 28 points that Johnny has either directly scored and or assisted in.

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I might be wrong in the way you totalled that up. But assuming you are counting a goal in a win as 3 points and an assist in a win as helping to get another 3 points. Then the total surely is 28 points that Johnny has either directly scored and or assisted in.

Go back and count up, he didn't count non decisive goals as 3 points.

Archived