Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I'd only sell him to the right team. For example, not a chance would I help out the Wendies. 

You know what, even though I'm not a huge fan and I've had a rant I probably still not sell him.

Purely because we don't need the money or the hassle of going out and finding someone slightly better. 

I don't understand the mad love for him but at the same time he's not letting anyone down either. He contributes (not enough for the mad love) and he's good enough for what we're trying to achieve. 

And wherever he goes in this league he will only add to their depth. 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You know what, even though I'm not a huge fan and I've had a rant I probably still not sell him.

Purely because we don't need the money or the hassle of going out and finding someone slightly better. 

I don't understand the mad love for him but at the same time he's not letting anyone down either. He contributes (not enough for the mad love) and he's good enough for what we're trying to achieve. 

And wherever he goes in this league he will only add to their depth. 

I think I tend to agree. He's a good "glue guy". Team mates and fans love him, despite his obvious flaws. No use giving him away when we don't need to. Not that I'd be adverse to someone else taking his starting spot.

I would not mind us to sell Russell. As i wouldn't mind us to sell all of so called "Clough amazing signings". Sell Grant, Russell, Hendrick, Bryson, Forsyth, Keogh and Martin. Get rid of Buxton. As history shows they are just noot good enough for promotion. Mentally or ability wise i don't now but it is time for something new. We have no chance to go up this season so let Pearson to build his team.

3 hours ago, satty atwal said:

Who would you replace him with for 3m? Not nit picking im just curious to know how you can replace his stats for such a little fee

With the 3m add it to the Hendrick pot and bring in a quality attacking forward or attacking midfielder.

Russell is surplus as we have Ince, Weimann, Blackmann and Bennett plus depending on which formation/system NP goes for [say 3-5-2] we may play wing backs so a winger would be kept on the bench.

It does look like Hendrick will go, if we get the £7 million, add the 3 and we could bring in some quality, or if NP thinks one of our a youth players might be good enough to promote , save the cash and use it for loans.

Russell wouldn't be so underrated by some if he wasn't so overrated by some.

He's the sort of player that's really popular with your mates kids and that bloke who goes on about players that run around a lot when he's not moaning that everyone who plays for England is an overpaid puff who isn't fit to wear the shirt.

And that makes him unpopular with the cynics who like to be contradictory to the mass opinion as often as possible.

In reality he's just a top end Championship winger who's popular with teammates and fans. Blows hot and cold like all wingers at this level do, but ultimately we'd only replace him with a similar winger that people would moan about if he left.

Keep him, unless it's silly money.

He is a solid championship player and has played on the wing for the majority of his time at Derby and has made a good return of 25 goals in 3 seasons from that position which was more or less what he was averaging at Dundee. 

I have plenty of tone for Russell he seems like a great player to have around the club and I think his pace does cause defence issues like any winger.

Personslly for the 2-4mil people Have been slurting around its not worth it. The only player who i would have had to replace JR is Matty Phillips but alas that boat has sailed. 

We are lacking in the wrong area so JR is a keep for me. 

I think I'm on the sell side of the fence. What I'd like to see us do is add a bit of something different out there. I think we need a little more continental flair in our side. To be honest that's what I expected/wanted from Clement. A half decent fee for Russell would allow for one of those Knockaert/Mahrez types Pearson has unearthed in the past. Hopefully also a genuine first name on the team sheet player rather than utility man.

A good manager will assess the player and see if he fits in his style of play. He will also use his coaches to try and iron out any imperfections that player might have.

If they can't be ironed out then you can consider selling. However, with Johnny's passion pace and low centre of gravity he could scare and rip a defence to bits. Get him to keep his head up and coach him to pass the ball then Bob's your uncle.

Don't just get rid until you know whether you can get the best out of him or not. 

4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

And fans say we should get rid of Jeff because he's "inconsistent"...... ?

Difference being that wingers by their very nature are inconsistent. And that with Russell at least when he's on a bad day you know you're going to get someone grafting to sort it out. 

I can't believe people would sell him. We'd probably be looking at £3m - £4m for him (possibly slightly optimistic). Considering we signed Nick Blackman with 6 months left for £2.5m, do you really trust us to replace him with someone better? 

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Harsh!

Cant disagree either though, his passion is why he is so popular and obviously that volley against The Treetards. 

Having passion and swinging your boot at a ball that could have gone anywhere, but happened to land in the top corner of the net against the Red Dogs ( and wasn't even a match winner, the game was won by then) aren't justification for keeping Russell. He isn't as bad as Tito Villa was but he's in that mould - runs around a lot with too little end product. He's not a top end championship winger and , like Hendrick, we don't see enough decent performances from him over a season. I'd be happy to see him go. Maybe we don't need to sell players, but maybe we do if we want to bring flesh blood in. I'd suggest we do need some fresh blood because this squad have come up short when the going has got tough

6 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Having passion and swinging your boot at a ball that could have gone anywhere, but happened to land in the top corner of the net against the Red Dogs ( and wasn't even a match winner, the game was won by then) aren't justification for keeping Russell. He isn't as bad as Tito Villa was but he's in that mould - runs around a lot with too little end product. He's not a top end championship winger and , like Hendrick, we don't see enough decent performances from him over a season. I'd be happy to see him go. Maybe we don't need to sell players, but maybe we do if we want to bring flesh blood in. I'd suggest we do need some fresh blood because this squad have come up short when the going has got tough

How many goals and assists does a player need to qualify for having a decent end product? 

Archived