16/17 Captain Conundrum

David

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whoever's performances are least affected negatively by it. I think it distracts Keogh, albeit his attitude is amazing.

Possibly the time for Will Hughes to take it, he needs to become more influential and maybe the captaincy will fast-track his development. If not Hughes, I believe Martin should have it, to help his game mature.

I'm of the old fashioned view that the captain should always be a goalkeeper, centre back or at a stretch the cdm. I've posted before how if Thorne wasn't an injury crop, he'd be me first choice for the captaincy as he is a leader on the pitch. For the time being I'd keep it with Keogh. He is obviously doing something right if the last few managers have given him the armand, or in Clement's case giving Keogh back the armband. Please don't give it to Martin. The captain on the pitch should motivate his teammates on the pitch like Keogh does and not moan at them like Martin.

A captain has to hold the respect of the whole team.

He has to be vocal enough to ensure the team hear him. (This is where the respect comes in, if he says something you disagree with you have to get on with it - with out question. Obviously provided it a sane request).

He also has to have pride and passion for the club he is captain off and lead by example at all times.

So if you can pick someone with all these attributes, then this is your man.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

I don't want Keogh as captain as it effects his game. 

Who has the credentials not many IMO 

Shackell for me but would the other players want that. 

Really? Wasn't Keogh captain last year but still won at least 2 player of the year awards? 

1 hour ago, Grantona said:

Keogh is associated with 3 failed promotion campaigns - Shackell has experience of LEADING a team to promotion (Burnley 2013/14).

If Dyche wanted him as his skipper, Shackell must have shown leadership qualities.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, in year 1 we reached the play off final (I don't think you can blame his mistake at Wembley or the rest of the teams inability to score on him being captain) in year 2 he was "relieved" of the captaincy role and we didn't reach the play offs and in year 3 we reached the play off semi. 

Seems a bit harsh to now eliminate him as a candidate. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

I don't want Keogh as captain as it effects his game. 

Who has the credentials not many IMO 

Shackell for me but would the other players want that. 

No it doesn't. Last season was, in my opinion, his best in a Derby shirt. Management constantly rotating defenders affects his game.

Sith Happens

Has to be Keogh or Shackell for me, only thing i can think is Shackell doesnt want it, i expected him to be made captain last season but it went to baird, martin has had a go, back to keogh....would have expected if Shackel felt he could do it he would have stepped up and called for it last season at some point.

Archived