Nick Powell - Confirmed to Wigan

Arsene Titman

4 hours ago, maydrakin said:

When Clough brought Bywater to Burton after what he did at Derby, I didn't believe he would have any chance whatsoever of playing under him again.

Similarly with Powell, whilst it may be unlikely, never completely rule it out...

I don't see how that is the same? Bywater was a bit mad by all accounts but then a lot of keepers are (like drummers too)... He left because we had bought in Fielding and Legzdins who were ahead of him in the pecking order after he'd gotten injured...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't see how that is the same? Bywater was a bit mad by all accounts but then a lot of keepers are (like drummers too)... He left because we had bought in Fielding and Legzdins who were ahead of him in the pecking order after he'd gotten injured...

His 'art installation' was to the point. Erwin Panofsky suggested a 3-point aspect to art appreciation:

• Look
  • See
  • Think

Look - It looks like it was put together by a loony

See - I can see that it looks like it was put together by a loony

Think - I think the artist is a loony.

I can appreciate that.

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Bywater allegedly feigned injury to be substituted and then before he was shipped out, posted some pretty bizarre, cryptic tweets which were presumably aimed at management.

The Bywater situation isn't the same, you're right. It was much less likely to happen than this is. 

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Bywater allegedly feigned injury to be substituted and then before he was shipped out, posted some pretty bizarre, cryptic tweets which were presumably aimed at management.

The Bywater situation isn't the same, you're right. It was much less likely to happen than this is. 

Spot on. He tweeted that Clough had lost the dressing 'gown', amazing that he took him to Burton, but then again people say sorry.

Maybe he see's him as a possible replacement for Hendrick ? Get Powell on a free sell Jeff for £5/6m.... buy a striker with the £5/6m, My understanding is that Pearson does like to 'balance the books' ?

1 hour ago, Grantona said:

Powell is poison.....Wolves are welcome if he goes there.

Remember when Troy Deeney was?

When I play Football Manager which, lets face it, is why we have all become such sodding experts at every facet of football management and club ownership, I often look out for potentially decent free signings to - you know - see if they can reach their potential.. If they do, they play 500 games and help me win multiple Champions Leagues. If they don't they get shipped out for either a small fee (profit) or I kick 'em in the bin 'cos they cost me nowt.

Maybe Powell is in this category? Somebody who may have a lot of potential and who may turn out to be a reasonable investment/worthwhile risk even if he only plays a small part in the club's long term success.  It's no skin off my nose if we sign a young(ish)'un on a free and see how it goes and if it goes nowhere well we've lost nothing have we... except wages, which we will have factored into the aforementioned risk.

Anyway, all moot if he's going to Wolves.

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

When I play Football Manager which, lets face it, is why we have all become such sodding experts at every facet of football management and club ownership, I often look out for potentially decent free signings to - you know - see if they can reach their potential.. If they do, they play 500 games and help me win multiple Champions Leagues. If they don't they get shipped out for either a small fee (profit) or I kick 'em in the bin 'cos they cost me nowt.

Maybe Powell is in this category? Somebody who may have a lot of potential and who may turn out to be a reasonable investment/worthwhile risk even if he only plays a small part in the club's long term success.  It's no skin off my nose if we sign a young(ish)'un on a free and see how it goes and if it goes nowhere well we've lost nothing have we... except wages, which we will have factored into the aforementioned risk.

Anyway, all moot if he's going to Wolves.

I'm a football expert (not) but compared to some on here then maybe I am and I've never played Football Manager. Like to think I live in the real world!

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'm a football expert (not) but compared to some on here then maybe I am and I've never played Football Manager. Like to think I live in the real world!

Haven't played FM ? It's the only way to know who will be worth signing. Right ?

45 minutes ago, Cisse said:

Haven't played FM ? It's the only way to know who will be worth signing. Right ?

Right! Just think how successful the likes of Shankly, Ferguson, Paisley and our Brian would have been had it been available throughout their managerial careers.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Right! Just think how successful the likes of Shankly, Ferguson, Paisley and our Brian would have been had it been available throughout their managerial careers.

Well it emerged in the mid nineties so Ferguson definitely could have used it. Obviously he didn't but the scouting network it developed over the years is pretty amazing.

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Well it emerged in the mid nineties so Ferguson definitely could have used it. Obviously he didn't but the scouting network it developed over the years is pretty amazing.

He definitely used it to buy tevez I had him for a couple of years before he came to England at West Ham. Cracking FM player

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Unlike many I am able to differentiate between the real and the fanstasy world of a computer game, but there is something to be said about art imitating life and an analogy about computer games doesn't automatically make the point invalid.. However, the real essence of what I was trying to say wasn't really about football manager but actually about whether or not signing a player some people don't rate is that bad an idea when he'll not cost a lot and has some potential to be good. Its just a small calculated risk.

I remember talking to quite a thoughtful football league manager (real not computer game!) about his recruitment one time. He said their most successful policy and best team came from going after players who were high profile as youths, either starting at big clubs or moving to them for big fees when young, but then fading from the scene. The thought was that once more mature, many of these players can finally start to fulfil their early potential.

Maybe it could work with Powell? I'll trust Pearson on his experiences from his time with Powell before and whether he believes the lad now has what it takes.

9 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

He definitely used it to buy tevez I had him for a couple of years before he came to England at West Ham. Cracking FM player

Has Fergie actually said this? I would have thought his decision to buy Tevez was more likely based on either he or his scouting team seeing him playing for West Ham.

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember talking to quite a thoughtful football league manager (real not computer game!) about his recruitment one time. He said their most successful policy and best team came from going after players who were high profile as youths, either starting at big clubs or moving to them for big fees when young, but then fading from the scene. The thought was that once more mature, many of these players can finally start to fulfil their early potential.

Maybe it could work with Powell? I'll trust Pearson on his experiences from his time with Powell before and whether he believes the lad now has what it takes.

Do you have any examples of the players he signed?

When I think about the sort of players you described I think of players like Richard Wright, Francis Jeffers, Keith Gillespie, Joe Cole 

Archived