Game of Thrones

SaintRam

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Tommen made 'Kings Landing' quite an appropriate sounding name aswlel

Lol, very good. 

That scene struck me as a bit stand out in a lot of good scenes though. Just so out of the blue, no crescendo, no particular warning, and that was that. 

You almost forget there was a war of the 5 kings not so long ago. And that every one of those 5 kings is now dead. So that went well. 

All these famous old houses and things. There are actually very few if any of them left. You're starting to have to dig around amongst obscure relatives to find the rightful heir to Casterly Rock, for example (Jaime can't, cos he's kings guard), in fact it's just Tyrion isn't it? Starks are down to just Bran, not that anyone knows he's alive. Baratheons are gone, even the ones that were pretending to be Baratheons. Tullys are on their last legs, the main Freys aren't doing too well, the Martells are all dead. The Arryns are down to just one sickly kid (in fact, in the book, his heir is a matter of contention, as several obscure relatives have a claim). And the Tyrell's are all but gone.

The greyjoys have a decent amount of family members to squabble over the sea salt throne. That's the only family I can think of that have any decent strength in numbers. But that only serves to tear that particular family apart.

So, what I'm saying is, for a culture for whom siring an heir to continue the family name is so important, there are a lot of families that have done a piss poor job of it. I think I'd rather be low born. 

Wish they did have a better way of letting us know how much time has passed between events.

And my only other slight gripe is the grandeur of everything now just feels like it's a slightly different world from the gritty first 3 or so seasons. I know the budget now let's them show off some grand set pieces. But it just feels odd in some places. The Citadel looked more grand than any place ever. I'm sure Kings Landing has grown? And Robb Stark v Lannisters probably deserved more than it got considering that every battle now is an epic showpiece. 

But that's it. It's still amazing. Just want them to keep the pace steady. Don't rush the ending into a Lord Of The Rings movie. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Wish they did have a better way of letting us know how much time has passed between events.

And my only other slight gripe is the grandeur of everything now just feels like it's a slightly different world from the gritty first 3 or so seasons. I know the budget now let's them show off some grand set pieces. But it just feels odd in some places. The Citadel looked more grand than any place ever. I'm sure Kings Landing has grown? And Robb Stark v Lannisters probably deserved more than it got considering that every battle now is an epic showpiece. 

But that's it. It's still amazing. Just want them to keep the pace steady. Don't rush the ending into a Lord Of The Rings movie. 

Next seasons the last season. The question is whether or not they'll tie off this general "arc" with the TV show, and having the (supposedly) planned movies separated (at least in time), as they should... or end the TV show with a whimper and have it all wrapped up in the movies. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Next seasons the last season. The question is whether or not they'll tie off this general "arc" with the TV show, and having the (supposedly) planned movies separated (at least in time), as they should... or end the TV show with a whimper and have it all wrapped up in the movies. 

They said there are two more seasons left. Next season with seven episodes, and the final season with just six though each episode is expected to be longer. It's soon getting to the stage where it's just going to be full on action.

So I think the writing will go down hill, but the special effects and general action will be brilliant.

I wonder where Ghost has gone?

On 6/28/2016 at 18:24, Bris Vegas said:

I was quite intrigued when I heard a theory that it wasn't Arya who got stabbed but was Jaquen. I mean, as a faceless assassin, you're supposed to have no feelings either way but the Waif clearly enjoyed beating Arya and she was told specifically to make it quick. Stabbing her in the neck would have been quick, but instead she stabbed her in the stomach where then her death would have been slow and painful.

Clearly, the Waif has failed as a pupil of the many-faced gods, and I thought it was a test on her to see if she would pass or not. Her enjoying it all would have meant she failed.

Yet instead, she enjoyed it when she shouldn't have, Arya was so naive to walk around without a care in the world, and the whole parkour rubbish after being badly wounded made no sense.

I think it was just really poor writing and her story arc there and then just made no sense. What was the point in having two seasons of training at the house of black and white only to end it like that? 

Arya's storyline really was the low point of the season. Just one long implausible, predictable mess of "meh" proportions. 

Bran on the other hand had an absolute blinder. "Hold The Door", the Cold Hand's reveal, the flashbacks to Jon's origins. Brilliant stuff!

On 6/28/2016 at 16:09, Bris Vegas said:

I'm up to date. Season six was superb in some parts, not so great in others.

The first few seasons were intriguing as quite a lot was political with lots of scheming. Now they've gone past that and it's just turned into action, with very little plot build-up which is kind of expected.

Loved episode nine, but I don't like how Jon Snow is being portrayed as Sansa's play thing. This is a guy who defended the wall, went to Hardhome, died and came back to life... They're kind of ruining him IMO.

Arya's storyline made no sense either. Where she walked through the streets of Bravos without a care in the world when she would have known the Waif was after her. Then she got stabbed a few times, magically cured over night and was fit enough to do some Parkour a day later. It just made no sense whatsoever.

I'm not one to criticise the movement of characters, but it would have made much more sense for Varys to leave Mereen for Dorne earlier in the season. The fact he did it all in one episode just looked wrong.

Cersei's character is spot on IMO. They've done a great job with her.

The best scenes were all in the North plus the Cersei finale. Dany is incredibly boring, as are the Iron Islands and I even question the point of bringing the Hound back despite being a cool character.

A lot of people have said that her training was complete once she defeated The Waif.  Jag Hagar (sp) did have a slight smile when she left, some have pointed out it's admiration for his pupil.  If she wasn't serving the Many Faced Gods, would she be aloud to done the masks like she did when she killed Frey???  

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

They said there are two more seasons left. Next season with seven episodes, and the final season with just six though each episode is expected to be longer. It's soon getting to the stage where it's just going to be full on action.

So I think the writing will go down hill, but the special effects and general action will be brilliant.

I wonder where Ghost has gone?

Oh right yeah,

Pretty sure Ghost was removed on a whim, and will be back at Winterfell next season. Whether they write in an explanation like he stayed at the wall until the battle was won or something is up in the air. We didn't see him in any scene after Jon came back.

There are a lot of theories at the moment regarding their budget and the removal of Dire wolves which has been supported by the unusual disappearance of Ghost more so than the deaths of dire wolves previously. Dire wolves disappeared (Shaggydog (obviously he wasnt in during Rickon's absence), Summer (who was always going to die for the metaphor), and Ghost) just as the amount we saw the dragons increased substantially (and big wildfire explosions).

Hopefully, if these theories are true they don't continue (with the less episodes next season and you'd imagine possibly a bigger budget) and we get to see more of Ghost (and the widely expected Nymeria) next season.

Got to assume ghost wouldn't have lasted very long in that battle though, I'm surprised Grey Wind lasted so long, unless they develop some battle armour for them, like Battle Cat from He-Man. 

Im surprised John didn't name him as successor st the nights watch. Maybe he stayed behind to keep an eye on Edd. 

Trying to think how the last 2 shorter seasons are going to play out. I imagine Dany will ally with Jon Snow to take the throne. The revelation that Jon's father is Rhaegar Targaryen has blown my mind, he'd be second in line to the throne should Dany win the war. I feel like Dany and Jon will probably end up marrying and the finale will be victory over the white walkers at a guess.

8 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Trying to think how the last 2 shorter seasons are going to play out. I imagine Dany will ally with Jon Snow to take the throne. The revelation that Jon's father is Rhaegar Targaryen has blown my mind, he'd be second in line to the throne should Dany win the war. I feel like Dany and Jon will probably end up marrying and the finale will be victory over the white walkers at a guess.

Not necessarily.

General fanbase (book readers having an advantage over TV viewers in this regard) have been fairly sure of Rhaegar being Jons dad for a while so there's a lot of thought been put into it:

If Rhaegar married Lyanna (secretly) that makes Jon the legitimate son of Rhaegar, and therefore he would have a greater claim to the throne than Dany who is merely Rhaegar's sister.

If Jon is the illegitimate child of Rhaegar and Lyanna then he is indeed second in line behind Dany.

Of course, whether or not the people of North will rally behind the son of a Targaryean (should they find out) is questionable.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

My problem is, although that's an amazing revelation, the books, and indeed the to show, have been hanging the suspense on that for so long, that people have been able to theorise it, that now any other result would be crap. And I bet George R R Martin is tempted to throw us all a curve ball and resolve it in some other way, despite that being the only, logical, and most satisfying conclusion. There would be uproar if he did. 

Then the same thing is happening with the ending. We can all see where it's roughly heading. We know who the good guys and the bad guys are. Ultimately, we've all had so long to think about and discuss how it will end, and will be hugely disappointed if we get anything else, that it kind of ruins the suspense. 

But the journey getting to the destination is fun. So I can probably forgive that. 

On 7/1/2016 at 17:04, TigerTedd said:

My problem is, although that's an amazing revelation, the books, and indeed the to show, have been hanging the suspense on that for so long, that people have been able to theorise it, that now any other result would be crap. And I bet George R R Martin is tempted to throw us all a curve ball and resolve it in some other way, despite that being the only, logical, and most satisfying conclusion. There would be uproar if he did. 

Then the same thing is happening with the ending. We can all see where it's roughly heading. We know who the good guys and the bad guys are. Ultimately, we've all had so long to think about and discuss how it will end, and will be hugely disappointed if we get anything else, that it kind of ruins the suspense. 

But the journey getting to the destination is fun. So I can probably forgive that. 

Hasn't GRRM teased that he might just end it with the comet some characters have gazed at throughout the show crashing into the world and wiping everyone out???  Would be pretty ballsy if he actually did it.  In a way it would be cool because as a coda you could fast forward millions of years and show that Westoros is actually Earth!!! 

47 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Hasn't GRRM teased that he might just end it with the comet some characters have gazed at throughout the show crashing into the world and wiping everyone out???  Would be pretty ballsy if he actually did it.  In a way it would be cool because as a coda you could fast forward millions of years and show that Westoros is actually Earth!!! 

Doesn't really worth like that, nice thought though.

Clearly different laws of the universe in the show to our own :p 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Doesn't really worth like that, nice thought though.

Clearly different laws of the universe in the show to our own :p 

Admittedly the presence of magic and dragons does make things problematic but who's to say they didn't exist???  Besides, isn't a work of fiction...

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Admittedly the presence of magic and dragons does make things problematic but who's to say they didn't exist???  Besides, isn't a work of fiction...

and the seemingly real existence of gods

Archived