Game of Thrones

SaintRam

Stopped talking about GoT in TV drama ideas thread, as it wasn't the intended use of the thread. 

After the season 6 finale, I find myself wanting to talk about GoT so I'm starting this thread if anyone else wants to join in.

Only a day after the finale, will save on spoilerific talk as the hide spoiler option when making posts seems to have disappeared.

But, pretty good finale in my opinion. Can see the whole thing drawing to a close as the number of players (and number of sides to play on) swiftly reduce.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Dany doesn't Mary Sue all the way to the end though, that's been my only real complaint.

I figure they're just setting the audience up for Dany hardship which will surprise those who've become accustomed to her waltzing through her troubles with ease. That's what I want anyway. Waltzing to the very end of the show could well ruin it completely imo. 

Just now, StringerBell said:

People are travelling about pretty quickly now aren't they? Varys off to Dorne and then back to Slavers Bay (or whatever it's called now) all in one episode. Them iron born ships are quick too.

There was a big (not anywhere near obvious enough) time jump before you saw the armada sailing. 

The armada had dornish and tyrell ships in it. 

There have been some silly cases of "fast-travel" in the show recently, as they try to speed up the pace now the subtleties of the game are becoming less prominent. Theon and Yara getting to Mereen was probably the worst, and Petyr Baelish is a culprit, but Varys' timing has been pretty realistic.

I was confused by it at the time of watching also. Blame the editors. 

24 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

People are travelling about pretty quickly now aren't they? Varys off to Dorne and then back to Slavers Bay (or whatever it's called now) all in one episode. Them iron born ships are quick too.

I guess we'll just have to allow them a it of creative licence.  For all we know each scene is days, even weeks apart.

Plenty of little Easter eggs popped up last night. Such as the Stark sigil is on top of Winterfell in the opening titles and orb that allows the different realms to be seen during the the titles was hanging in the Citidel's library... Mind blown :o

The citadel was lovely. Really impressed by that. 

I figure we'll finally get to see Casterly Rock next season during the war, and then we'll have seen their vision of the whole world.

Just now, JW37 said:

Finished series one but never continued.. do you think I should start watching again? Breaking Bad had a slow start too imo but ended up being incredible.

I know of a lot of people who got hooked by the second. Some people continued to not like it.

I watched the first 4 seasons in a weekend myself, and loved it. It's much more slowly paced early on, much more set-up and subtlety but it's worth it in my opinion to experience season 4 onwards. Brilliant in my opinion.

I'm up to date. Season six was superb in some parts, not so great in others.

The first few seasons were intriguing as quite a lot was political with lots of scheming. Now they've gone past that and it's just turned into action, with very little plot build-up which is kind of expected.

Loved episode nine, but I don't like how Jon Snow is being portrayed as Sansa's play thing. This is a guy who defended the wall, went to Hardhome, died and came back to life... They're kind of ruining him IMO.

Arya's storyline made no sense either. Where she walked through the streets of Bravos without a care in the world when she would have known the Waif was after her. Then she got stabbed a few times, magically cured over night and was fit enough to do some Parkour a day later. It just made no sense whatsoever.

I'm not one to criticise the movement of characters, but it would have made much more sense for Varys to leave Mereen for Dorne earlier in the season. The fact he did it all in one episode just looked wrong.

Cersei's character is spot on IMO. They've done a great job with her.

The best scenes were all in the North plus the Cersei finale. Dany is incredibly boring, as are the Iron Islands and I even question the point of bringing the Hound back despite being a cool character.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

The first few seasons were intriguing as quite a lot was political with lots of scheming. Now they've gone past that and it's just turned into action, with very little plot build-up which is kind of expected.

Loved episode nine, but I don't like how Jon Snow is being portrayed as Sansa's play thing. This is a guy who defended the wall, went to Hardhome, died and came back to life... They're kind of ruining him IMO.

Arya's storyline made no sense either. Where she walked through the streets of Bravos without a care in the world when she would have known the Waif was after her. Then she got stabbed a few times, magically cured over night and was fit enough to do some Parkour a day later. It just made no sense whatsoever.

I'm not one to criticise the movement of characters, but it would have made much more sense for Varys to leave Mereen for Dorne earlier in the season. The fact he did it all in one episode just looked wrong.

The best scenes were all in the North plus the Cersei finale. Dany is incredibly boring, as are the Iron Islands and I even question the point of bringing the Hound back despite being a cool character.

He stopped being that in the last ep. 

I don't think it was intentional previously, with her not being open about the Vale etc., just think it was poorly done and it did end up giving that impression.

Arya's waif conflict was strange and confusing; The Hound probably has a purpose we aren't aware of yet as he doesn't die in the books either so you have to assume there's an important plot point in the future.

If I recall correctly, Varys did leave Mereen earlier in the season. Leaving Tyrion on his own with Grey Worm and Missandei

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

People reckon it's because she wanted to be seen so she could take down the Waif. They think she planned to get stabbed where she could get away easily.

44 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Definitely, but stay out of this thread if you do to avoid spoilers!

44 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I know of a lot of people who got hooked by the second. Some people continued to not like it.

I watched the first 4 seasons in a weekend myself, and loved it. It's much more slowly paced early on, much more set-up and subtlety but it's worth it in my opinion to experience season 4 onwards. Brilliant in my opinion.

Sound lads, I'll give it another go ?

1 hour ago, Shang said:

People reckon it's because she wanted to be seen so she could take down the Waif. They think she planned to get stabbed where she could get away easily.

I was quite intrigued when I heard a theory that it wasn't Arya who got stabbed but was Jaquen. I mean, as a faceless assassin, you're supposed to have no feelings either way but the Waif clearly enjoyed beating Arya and she was told specifically to make it quick. Stabbing her in the neck would have been quick, but instead she stabbed her in the stomach where then her death would have been slow and painful.

Clearly, the Waif has failed as a pupil of the many-faced gods, and I thought it was a test on her to see if she would pass or not. Her enjoying it all would have meant she failed.

Yet instead, she enjoyed it when she shouldn't have, Arya was so naive to walk around without a care in the world, and the whole parkour rubbish after being badly wounded made no sense.

I think it was just really poor writing and her story arc there and then just made no sense. What was the point in having two seasons of training at the house of black and white only to end it like that? 

Those first 15 minutes of the finale were some of the best tv I've ever seen - a perfect case of music and no dialogue working together to produce something truly cinematic. 

As for the rest of it, feels like Act 2 has finisshed and Act 3 is about to begin. Only going to get better.

Archived