Aden Flint

richinspain

26 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Why does it seem that the 'Keogh Out' boys seem to be back in force? 

Keogh has been our best defender and most consistent player all season... And the whole 'replace him if we play a deeper line' in nonsense as Keogh is one of the few defenders around smart enough to adapt to new systems...

I base it on his woeful half-challenge for Hull's first goal in the playoff first leg... It was a typical Shackell challenge... Half-hearted for a 50/50 challenge as he's  more interested in protecting himself than protecting the team...

Yes Keogh has played well, but how many of those last ditch slide tackles that he so often makes have come from a f**k up that he's made and he's trying to recover?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

Yes Keogh has played well, but how many of those last ditch slide tackles that he so often makes have come from a f**k up that he's made and he's trying to recover?

This season... Not many... Mostly he's covering for other people... 

Just now, cheron85 said:

This season... Not many... Mostly he's covering for other people... 

I guess not everybody will agree, but I think there are plenty. When he comes bringing the ball out, often like an headless chicken and looses the ball. I think it happened more often than "not many".

15 minutes ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

I guess not everybody will agree, but I think there are plenty. When he comes bringing the ball out, often like an headless chicken and looses the ball. I think it happened more often than "not many".

Fair enough... Maybe it's been happening more in the away games as I haven't got to many of those this season...

How many better centre backs are there in the league?  Keogh is quality, its as simple as that.  If we receive a decent bid for him then we would have to take it into consideration, along with any indication that he wants to move on.  Until either of those happen i think we are definitely better off with him in our team than anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

Not as many as you and other Keogh critics imagine (in my opinion)

Say what you will about Keogh and Shackell as individuals, I personally think they are both top defenders, at the start of last season we were all adamant they would be the best partnership in the league and that would be the base for us getting promoted. But for some reason it didn't work out as well as we would have liked, now either Pearson works on it, as he did similarly with two experienced defenders for a team that plays in blue not too far from us (Huth and Morgan) or whether he looks at Flint and/or other alternatives like Dunk for example.

All in all I think this is almost certainly the first area Pearson will look at when transfers do start to happen. Mee and Keane (Burnley) and Ayala and Gibson ('Boro) were the best centre back pairings in the league and therefore it's no coincidence they finished as the top two. I think unlike Clement and Wassall we will see Pearson getting the best out of our two centre backs whoever they may be.

1 hour ago, thekingofbuxton said:

How many better centre backs are there in the league?  Keogh is quality, its as simple as that.  If we receive a decent bid for him then we would have to take it into consideration, along with any indication that he wants to move on.  Until either of those happen i think we are definitely better off with him in our team than anywhere else.

Not many, but that's not the same as none. Both Keogh and Shackell are replaceable because both have faults, but incoming players must be of the very highest quality. One aspect that we can improve on is the aerial threat from attacking set pieces. Keogh always goes up and has got on the end of very few in the last couple of seasons - I can only think of one, but I'm sure there must have been a few others. Shackell is a little better, but still not too effective given his size.

It's my opinion that Dunk and Hanley would be a better pairing than Shackell and Keogh, but what do I know? Apparently there's been a bid of £15m from Leicester for Michael Keane of Burnley. Now I rate both Shackell and Keogh as better than him.

16 minutes ago, Joel Stanley said:

Mee and Keane (Burnley) and Ayala and Gibson ('Boro) were the best centre back pairings in the league

Mee and Keane had Jones and Barton ahead of them and Ayala and Gibson had Leadbitter and Clayton...

Not so shocking that the better defences in the league tend to have 2 deep (or at least deeper) holding players in... Hull had the same with Huddlestone and Livermore...

We tended to play with a single DM and sometimes not even that!

22 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

He's from Pinxton so might fancy coming home. He's 6ft 5 and scores a lot of goals - and not just with his head. He seems to be right footed, but the bits that I've seen he looks pretty good with his left too.

It's interesting that we're being linked to lots of centre backs. I wonder if that's an indication that we're actively looking, or just that journalists have no clue and are guessing? Even if Jake leaves, we have Shackell, Keogh, Pearce, Albentosa, Shotton and Rawson, with Forsyth, Hanson and Baird able to fill in there. I can't see Flint, Hanley, Dunk or Schindler moving here unless they believe that they will be first choice players. If that's the case we might be looking at a pretty big cull, with most of the fringe players moving on and maybe one of Shackell or Pearce.

This might already have been mentioned but it could be indicative of Pearson wanting to play three at the back? 

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Why does it seem that the 'Keogh Out' boys seem to be back in force? 

Keogh has been our best defender and most consistent player all season... And the whole 'replace him if we play a deeper line' in nonsense as Keogh is one of the few defenders around smart enough to adapt to new systems...

I base it on his woeful half-challenge for Hull's first goal in the playoff first leg... It was a typical Shackell challenge... Half-hearted for a 50/50 challenge as he's  more interested in protecting himself than protecting the team...

Keogh out boys? That's news to me...

So if you would keep him eventhoug if he doesn't renew his contract?

About the second point we just have to agree to disagree. His best attribute, carrying ball, can't be used with deep defensive line.

7 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Keogh out boys? That's news to me...

So if you would keep him eventhoug if he doesn't renew his contract?

About the second point we just have to agree to disagree. His best attribute, carrying ball, can't be used with deep defensive line.

If a good offer comes in from the Prem and he says he wants to go then let him... I was the same about Brayford... But even with a year left I wouldn't be actively touting him around... Would rather we kept him for 6 months and see what happens... If we play well, he plays well and we're in the promotion hunt come January he may decide to stay anyway at that point...

If his best attribute was carrying the ball he wouldn't be a fairly well rated centre-back... 

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If a good offer comes in from the Prem and he says he wants to go then let him... I was the same about Brayford... But even with a year left I wouldn't be actively touting him around... Would rather we kept him for 6 months and see what happens... If we play well, he plays well and we're in the promotion hunt come January he may decide to stay anyway at that point...

If his best attribute was carrying the ball he wouldn't be a fairly well rated centre-back... 

I'd rather keep whole back four together all season, iif possible.

IMO, that's clearly his best attribute. And not only best, it's what is unique in him. Easily best in division and not that many has same ability in PL either.

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I'd rather keep whole back four together all season, iif possible.

IMO, that's clearly his best attribute. And not only best, it's what is unique in him. Easily best in division and not that many has same ability in PL either.

Ahhhh well I'd argue there's a difference between a unique quality that he has versus other defenders in the league OR his best attribute... I'd argue on Football Manager his Pace, Positioning and Blocking would be better stats than running with the ball...

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Ahhhh well I'd argue there's a difference between a unique quality that he has versus other defenders in the league OR his best attribute... I'd argue on Football Manager his Pace, Positioning and Blocking would be better stats than running with the ball...

******* FM.

Yes, he is fast. But so is many other defenders. In blocking and positioning we can find much better players from this division, actually from our own team too. Let's put it this way, without his ability to bring ball forward, he would be much worse as a CB.

Try to think his carrying the ball as a way of playing, not as a stat. Preferred move or how was it in that game?

Would be interesting to see football game from your eyes. FM numbers everywhere...

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

News Flash - Man called Flint to sign for Rams, allegedly. Could he spark a o promotion push?

Already made that pun earlier in the thread

Archived