Buxton - Confirmed to Wigan Athletic

Flaps

11 hours ago, philc130 said:

Burton are a Championship club also 

I know that........ maybe I should have put a DIFFERENT........no that doesn't work either.

You all know what I mean........... special dispensation to allow him to go back to his 'roots' at Burton and them to get a player they know and trust.      Mutual benefit to all three of us ?

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Crap. I'd rather watch Keogh and Buxton than Keogh and Shackell any day of the week.

You do realise that Keogh & Shackell formed our best defence in terms of goals conceded that we've ever had over a 46 game season right? Also our best defensive record in general since the fall of the Berlin Wall? They can't be that bad.

Just like people think Buxton's better than he is because of his passion and personality, people seem to think Shavkell's a worse player than he is because he's not tattooed with a Ram across his face.

They're both great, but Shackell is clearly a top class defender at this level.

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

You do realise that Keogh & Shackell formed our best defence in terms of goals conceded that we've ever had over a 46 game season right? Also our best defensive record in general since the fall of the Berlin Wall? They can't be that bad.

...and I'd still rather watch Keogh and Buxton any day of the week.

The geniuses who served us up the likes of Albentosa and Shotton are still weaving their magic.

28 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Would love to see the guy who was at the Burton pre-season game who argued with me saying that Keogh and Shackell would never work together react to this stat

1 hour ago, ramesses said:

...and I'd still rather watch Keogh and Buxton any day of the week.

The geniuses who served us up the likes of Albentosa and Shotton are still weaving their magic.

We must have different preferences in centre backs then. I personally prefer centre backs who stop the opposition scoring, but each to their own.

Pearson has to look for a centre back now as Bucko may want to leave for regular playing time. Pearson knows all the players that Leicester were intersted in before he left so he already has a list of players who have been scouted by Walsh etc.at Leicester

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Just like people think Buxton's better than he is because of his passion and personality, people seem to think Shavkell's a worse player than he is because he's not tattooed with a Ram across his face.

They're both great, but Shackell is clearly a top class defender at this level.

Yep, he can defend absolutely no question. He just scares me as it scares him when he has the ball at his feet.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

We must have different preferences in centre backs then. I personally prefer centre backs who stop the opposition scoring, but each to their own.

Tell you what. You carry on being condescending and pompous about a point I never made. I’ll carry on with my opinion that I'd rather watch the very solid but forward thinking and attack minded Keogh and Buxton partnership than watch the Keogh and Shackell partnership any day of the week.

I like my centre backs to not be complete liabilities on the ball like Shackell is. I prefer fluid attacking football where we pass it out from the back and for that you need two centre backs who are comfortable on the ball. Shackell isn't, Buxton is - my simple reasons for preferring Buxton to Shackell @Kernow

In McClaren's attack minded team when he first came Derby conceded 35 goals in McClaren's first season in charge (not including the Ipswich match). Over a 46 game season this would've given 45  goals against with Buxton and Keogh starting nearly all of those matches under McClaren (compared to the 43 conceded last season with Keogh and Shackell). Not that much worse than Shackell then. Buxton seems to have been tainted by that second season under McClaren, a season where everything was going well defensively until he got injured and McClaren started deciding that Shotton was better (that Middlesbrough away match when he was magically dropped for Shotton being a good example).

Buxton is younger than Shackell, adds more to the attack - seriously, how many times does any sort of forward momentum fizzlee out at Shackell's feet. If we want to play fast attacking football (this is the Derby Way isnt it?) then you need a Buxton type player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet instead of a Shackell. Buxton's passion and desire to run through walls is just a happy bonus. Don't get me wrong Buxton's passion endears him to me, but I just believe he's a superior  player to Shackell.

59 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Tell you what. You carry on being condescending and pompous about a point I never made. I’ll carry on with my opinion that I'd rather watch the very solid but forward thinking and attack minded Keogh and Buxton partnership than watch the Keogh and Shackell partnership any day of the week.

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

1 hour ago, ramesses said:

How have I been pompous and condescending? I just pointed out that Shackell & Keogh formed our tightest defence partnership we've ever had at this level and you've said you prefer Keogh and Buxton. That's fine. But defenders primarily stop goals going in, and Shackell and Keogh have been more successful together than Keogh and Buxton.

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

38 minutes ago, Kernow said:

How have I been pompous and condescending?

Tone of voice would be my suggestion... The way you wrote that made it clear that as defenders jobs are to stop people scoring anyone who suggests choosing Bucko over the LoveShack was an idiot...

I can find the definition of condescending on this revolutionary service called Google if you'd like it made any simpler for you son? :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Tone of voice would be my suggestion... The way you wrote that made it clear that as defenders jobs are to stop people scoring anyone who suggests choosing Bucko over the LoveShack was an idiot...

I can find the definition of condescending on this revolutionary service called Google if you'd like it made any simpler for you son? :ph34r:

It wasn't intended to be condescending at all, and in no way did I call anybody an idiot for preferring Buxton to Shackell so please do not put words into my mouth. We had a good season defensively, although attacking wise may not have been so flowing. But is bringing Buxton back in the solution? We know we've looked shaky with Buxton and Keogh in the past, and after a very solid season it seems that Keogh is capable. Perhaps that's why the only players we've been vaguely linked to thus far are centre backs. If Nigel wants us to play flowing football and stay solid at the same time, he may look to a new defender altogether, we don't know.

49 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Those keys were definitely clacking in a patronising manner.

2 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Thanks for the picture. Before now I’d always thought of you and the missus as being a much older couple with just a battered old rucksack between you.

That 'battered old rucksack' you speak of just so happens to be a Tesco 'bag for life'.

Unfortunately, it died last week.

Archived