Craig Forsyth

BuckoBeast

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, EastStandRam said:

I admire your optimism

McCormack's scoring record isn't THAT much more impressive than Martin's... Whereas Fozzy was the leagues best LB last season according to stats n stuff (whoscored)

You have to think of the players themselves here.  Both are on the fringes of their respective country's squad.

Both will be eager to push on and get into said squad and they won't get it being a bit part player in the championship.

Either way, one of the players will be concerned about their lack of game time which has the possibility of causing discord in the dressing room.

Both Forsyth and Olsson are quality left backs in this division, so one has to be chosen that best suits us and the other given the opportunity to find alternative employment.

Unfortunately, it looks like Forsyth might be the unlucky one.

I would have Forsyth over Olson, much better defensively, and better at bringing the ball out of defence, he may not be as quick as Olson but makes maraudering runs much better than Forsyth, just think of games against he likes of Watford and Brighton.

also fozzy's dodgy passing patch came at the same time the whole team performed *****, the same time when Christie looked like a non league player

Forsyth has been a good servant but nowehere near good enough in possession of the ball if we want to kick on and get promoted. Gives the ball away too much.

Dont think there is a huge difference between Forsyth and Olsson, however I would defnietly take a good offer for Forsyth if one came in. Lowe will be someone we look to develop as a back up and this will help eleviate FFP to spend on a much needed top pacy striker.

Difficult one to chose between the 2. We missed Forsyth so much when he got injured.

It took months for the team to figure out how to play without him in the side, hence the boring slow football Sept - Dec.

However, he was becoming an easy target for the boo boys in the crowd whenever a pass went astray. He always gave his all and never hid.

Olsson has performed well since he came in, likes to get forward, but possibly not so direct as Craig. He's probobly a bit more composed on the ball though.

One major difference for me is defending crosses at the back post. Olsson can be caught ball watching, or simply outjumped. Wolves away springs to mind.

Stats from Squawka for last season between Olsson and Forsyth. Olsson played 17 games, Forsyth 12 so all stats are per 90 minutes.

Fozzy                     Olsson

Total Score:                           21.20                      7.36

Attack Score:                         3.83                         1.91

Defence Score:                      11.82                      12.02

Possession Score:                5.55                          -6.57

Total Forward Passes:           29.61                      15.53

Total Backword Passes:        15.81                      15.10

Total Passes:                         45.42                       33.93

Successful Passes:                33.72                      26.35

Pass Completion:                     74%                      78%

Chances Created:                   1.90                        0.18

Key Passes:                             1.79                       0.12

Assists:                                     0.11                       0.06

Fouls Comitted:                        1.90                       2.43

Tackles Won:                            1.05                       1.24

Tackles Lost:                              1.90                      1.60

Aeriel Duels Won:                      66.67%                 59.74%

Total Duels Won:                        56.73%               56.31%

Successful Take-ons (attack):    75%                    42.11%

Most of the stats seem to back up that Forsyth is our best left back, with Olsson only beating him in tackling stats and I suggest that's mainly due to the fact that Forsyth doesn't tend to tackle, he shepards wingers down the wing rather than Olsson's more combative style.

By far more efficient and threatening in terms of attack (only Ince played more key passes per 90 minutes for Derby all season) than Olsson. No-brainer for me, Forsyth is our first choice and should remain so.

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

Stats from Squawka for last season between Olsson and Forsyth. Olsson played 17 games, Forsyth 12 so all stats are per 90 minutes.

Most of the stats seem to back up that Forsyth is our best left back, with Olsson only beating him in tackling stats and I suggest that's mainly due to the fact that Forsyth doesn't tend to tackle, he shepards wingers down the wing rather than Olsson's more combative style.

By far more efficient and threatening in terms of attack (only Ince played more key passes per 90 minutes for Derby all season) than Olsson. No-brainer for me, Forsyth is our first choice and should remain so.

Super post! 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I thought it would be closer but Fozzy would be my first choice left back next year unless we get someone better which Olsson isnt.  

I'd be astonished, nay flabbergasted, if anyone tries to buy Fozzy over the summer when he's not proved his fitness since the ACL injury. It's a total nonstarter.

Pleased to see so much support for Forsyth here when I felt he was often a candidate for scapegoat. I think he's proved himself an excellent left back. When he struggles is when he has too much time to think. If he plays instinctively at pace he's a far better player.

Fozzy is awesome, he offers so much in all areas. His height alone stops teams pumping balls in to channels hoping for second balls from challenged headers etc. His crossing is worth a handful of goals a season easy. I think Olsson is a good player but Fozzy is just another level.

Fozzy was a key part of the silky football we played under mclaren. With Wisdom sitting deeper Fozzy was able to maintain a constant attacking threat and he played dangerous ball after dangerous ball into the box.

I like the way he drills a ball across the box, with Martin (or even 2 strikers) in the area they are bound to get on the end of some of them.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Fozzy was a key part of the silky football we played under mclaren. With Wisdom sitting deeper Fozzy was able to maintain a constant attacking threat and he played dangerous ball after dangerous ball into the box.

I like the way he drills a ball across the box, with Martin (or even 2 strikers) in the area they are bound to get on the end of some of them.

I have a memory of that contributing towards Christie finding it difficult in his first season because theyd both fly up the wing at the same time and didn't find a good balance. Christie has developed so well this last season I'd have a lot more confidence in that balance being better with either fozzy or Marcus Olssonn baby.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I have a memory of that contributing towards Christie finding it difficult in his first season because theyd both fly up the wing at the same time and didn't find a good balance. Christie has developed so well this last season I'd have a lot more confidence in that balance being better with either fozzy or Marcus Olssonn baby.

Exactly right, I think both keogh and Fozzy suffered when we signed Christie, not Christies fault, it was more losing the security of wisdom.

With both full backs flying at full pelt the back two felt it more.

Doesn't Mel like the idea of two players competing for a position with a youngster as the third option? So we're set at LB. why change it?

Plus, Olsson currently has the shirt and Forsyth is returning from injury. Therefore, for a while at least, squad harmony isn't going to be disrupted if Forsyth has to earn his place back. LB is the one position we're sorted in, as every other position we're either short (RB), overloaded (CM) or we possibly have a season of disgruntlement that has built up from players not getting picked (GK, CD, CF).

Archived